Used 2000 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Good car
By Chris

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 626 July of 2004, and it has been a good car. I get 31 MPG on each tank so that is nice with gas prices on the rise. The only issue we have had is with the brakes wearing out too quickly, and the shop replaced them for free so that could have been the mechanic's error. Overall a great car. I had the 2000 Toyota Camry and the 626 isn't too far off. The 4 cylinder is a little weak on the pick up, but the gas mileage makes up for it a bit.

Favorite Features

Sweeping fan, CD/tape/stereo, split fold rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

A more powerful 4 cylinder.

Review:
By Shellee

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I agree, I bought my car just by the look and test drive. I should have known that when I drove off the lot after signing papers something would go wrong. Since March last year I have had my car in the shop about 7 times, all to get the transmission replaced. When I bought the car I did not know about this site. I have finally gotten my car fixed right and it's wonderful.

Favorite Features

I love the slick luxurious style, although very sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Check for transmission problems before buying.

Mazda 626
By Mike Bean

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Mazda 626 back in Oct. 2001. I really wanted a 2000 Dodge Intrepid but was not pleased with the cornering of the vehicle (it leaned while turning corners). I drove the Mazda 626 and was impressed with its performance. About 70,000 miles later my tranny failed. At 89,000 it failed again. After intense investigations, I found out the trannys all overheated. Mazda did not install transmission coolers in these cars. ALL CARS HAVE THEM, EXCEPT THESE. I installed a $25 tranny cooler myself in about 15 minutes. This cooler could've saved me $4400. My Mazda has over 140k miles and runs like new. Why didn't the repair shop detect the root of the problem?

Favorite Features

Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Install transmission coolers on future models.

good car
By Jacquelyn Beaver

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I found that it is a great, reliable car as long as you keep up with oil changes and tune-ups. It's not fancy, but if you're looking for a comfortable car for your passengers, it's nice and roomy. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage as I hoped but it's not as bad as my Bronco was. It's a great family sedan.

Favorite Features

The rotating AC vents, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Better stock stereos. CD player is very finicky.

Excellent car for the money
By Tex626

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My 2000 626 LX is coming up on 90,000 trouble free miles. All I have ever done is normal maintenance. Although some more horsepower might be nice, I like the great gas mileage, excellent handling, and excellent reliability. It is a fun car to drive. This was my first Mazda and I have already bought a 2nd Mazda. Great Car!