Used 2000 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

A very good car
By x

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle new and we have been very happy with it. It has never broken down. We have had very few repair issues, in fact the front brakes are still going strong after 106K miles. This has been a very good car for us. The v6 provides good pick-up and high cruising ability. It has a manual transmission and we have had no transmission or clutch problems.

Reliability and the power moon roof. I don't think I'll ever buy another car without a moon roof. Also the exterior paint is still like new. The car still drives like it is new.

It would be good if the alloy wheels didn't scratch as much. If this car had a little more torque it would be on par with a BMW 3 series.

ONE GREAT CAR!
By X

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new. It is a V6 with a manual transmission. After 6 years and 107K miles it has never stranded us. Very few problems (coolant expansion tank burst and the cable opening the hood broke). It still looks and drives like new. It has good giddy-up and is fun to drive with the power moon roof and CD player. I would recommend this car to everyone.

Moonroof, even without a shield lets in very little wind so it can be used year-round (I live in New England).

The alloy rims scratch too easy.

Fun with 5 speed, but materials/build okay
By boost4

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is my 2nd 626 and 3rd Mazda. The others were turbo 4 cylinders which are still lasting longer than I imagined. My current 6's V6 is fun to drive and makes great high revving sounds, but is a bit low on torque. What I have found quality-wise leads me to believe it will not hold together like my circa 80's cars did. So far the coolant expansion tank has sprung a leak, so it was replaced. The driver's door power lock motor ate itself making a horribly loud noise while operating. Both are common issues for this model, and it did help that both parts were acquired from the dealer for around $50. I refuse to blame these quirks on US assembly, as my previous ones were both US & Japanese made and both were excellent.

Smooth running, with 7k RPM redline. Decent fuel economy (about 22 avg.), handles well for size and comfort level. Space utilization, rear seat room and general seat comfort. Split folding rear. 4 wheel disc brakes. Slightly better than completely bland styling. Excellent pre-owned value.

Quality of certain auxiliary parts. Stay away from FoMoCo supplied parts in the future please Mazda. Body hardware and trim could be attached better. Another 1/2 liter for the V6 engine, which was done on the later 6 courtesy of Ford. A 6th gear or taller ratios to aid highway comfort and economy.

Good car
By Chris

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 626 July of 2004, and it has been a good car. I get 31 MPG on each tank so that is nice with gas prices on the rise. The only issue we have had is with the brakes wearing out too quickly, and the shop replaced them for free so that could have been the mechanic's error. Overall a great car. I had the 2000 Toyota Camry and the 626 isn't too far off. The 4 cylinder is a little weak on the pick up, but the gas mileage makes up for it a bit.

Sweeping fan, CD/tape/stereo, split fold rear seats.

A more powerful 4 cylinder.

Review:
By Shellee

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I agree, I bought my car just by the look and test drive. I should have known that when I drove off the lot after signing papers something would go wrong. Since March last year I have had my car in the shop about 7 times, all to get the transmission replaced. When I bought the car I did not know about this site. I have finally gotten my car fixed right and it's wonderful.

I love the slick luxurious style, although very sporty.

Check for transmission problems before buying.