Used 1992 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Commuters racecar
By hippiecat78

1992 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for quite awhile now, bought it off a kid for $300 and bought a spare 626 lx for parts for $100. Best xcar I've ever owned (for a used car or other), had 160000 on the odo when I bought it and rolled it over 210000 just last week. Replaced the clutch, fuel pump and water pump for safety and reliability, tires and brakes as general maintenance. She won't die!! Would have loved to bought it new, oh the tales those tires would tell. Recommend it for fun and reliability and a good strong car for a teen or youngsters first car. Looks good drives great and oh sooo reliable , replaced the ac for commute and she keep going, she won't die (knock on wood).

Favorite Features

5 speed folding back seats. Sound system in the trunk and the sleek but low profile look. Mpg is a bonus too even with the ac on.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders but added my own, better paint job, fading and peeling otherwise it's a keeper.

Keeps on ticking
By nr

1992 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car just keeps on going. I've owned it for 8 years now. Have had to do the usual maintenance for a vehicle that now has ~165k miles: radiator, tie rods, valve cover gasket, alternator and water pump. Burns a little oil these days, but not bad. With higher freeway speeds these days, it doesn't get as many mpg as at 55 mph. Still, I average about 24 mpg with close to a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. Better than most cars these days.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission: can wind this puppy up and go, if necessary. Good gas mileage compared to the majority of mid-size 4-door sedans made today.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would have been nice, but they weren't standard back then. The cruise control has problems maintaining higher speeds (65+).

Fun & peppy car!
By Trentster

1992 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have really enjoyed this car and I am sad to see it go. My wife and I bought this car in December of 95 and it has been a reliable and fun car to drive. It currently has 178,000 miles on it and I think with a little work it could easily go to 250,000. I am only getting rid of it because I need a truck. This car is very peppy for only having a 4 cylinder and gets great gas mileage. Definitely get the manual transmission if you buy this car.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a cup holder.

1992 Mazda 626 Fun to Drive
By SPD848

1992 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this Mazda 626 5spd in 2006 of March with only 76,000 miles. Now it's got over 87,000 and all I have to do was put gas in it and regular oil changes. I get about 30mpg city/ 34mpg hwy at cruise speeds of 72mph. It's fast to drive, doesn't have the oomph like the turbo, but quick on the go for a basic 4 door sedan. Interior rattles a little but that's average for a old vehicle. Everything works like it should and hopefully it will go a long long way.

Favorite Features

Quick and fun to drive 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little oomph under the hood but don't need to do 0-90 in 6 seconds.

Bitter Sweet
By Austin Peterson

1992 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is a fairly decent first car to have, though it has given me a few fits. I got it from my grandparents for $500 with a broken AC unit! So far I have replaced the whole exhaust system, a coil, and other minor tuneup things like spark plugs and distributor and cap. I have put more money into it than its worth, and the check engine light is now staying on (hopefully it's something minor). Honestly with proper maintenance this car is amazing for what it offers. It's quick, comfortable, and it isn't that bad looking.

Favorite Features

Quickness for a 4 cylinder and comfortable for any driving situation.

Suggested Improvements

Like I said, I got it from my grandparents and it wasn't that well maintained. So mine isn't in the best condition, but is a great way to learn proper car care without too much worry. With proper care this car is very durable and comfortable.