Used 2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV

View reviews for a specific RX 450h model:

Before You Buy Hybrid
By sind

2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Please don't get the Hybrid version if what you want is to save on gas. Gas required for this vehicle is Premiun, so you'll pay more at the pump. The tank takes about 14 gallons and I get about 300 miles about 22 mpg. I believe "Hybrid cars" are just a trend that does little or nothing for the environment. It does Nothing for your wallet. I think the only good thing I heard about Hybrid is that there's no smog check ever. It's extremely distracting every time you're looking at that dashboard to see if you're saving any gas. I won't recommend the hybrid version.

Favorite Features

I have mine in Pearl White and is just amazing. People compliment me on it all the time even kids. Love the parking assistant and wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are not comfortable specially for someone with large breasts (not fat). The seats look hunched back and apparently designed like that to keep yourself from being injured of whiplash. I had an Altima and never had a back problem. The seats were so comfortable at my previous car. When are solar cars going to be available?

Great - but!!!
By slojimi

2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my 2nd RX, previously owning a 2008 RX400h, the 450 is definitely the better of the two. It is extremely comfortable, fun to drive, well appointed & stylish. I drive a lot, so it is important that I don't feel beat up or worn out after 5-8 hours. There isn't much I don't really like about this vehicle. My disappointment has been with mpg in both vehicles. I am a "hyper-miler", squeezing every mpg out of the car I can. In the 450, after two years I was averaging 30.5 mpg; getting 32-33 mpg's on many trips. Something changed and I'm lucky to get 28.5 now. The same with the 400h after 70K. Raising the issue with Lexus netted "that's too bad", offering no interest/solution to fix it!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats with heaters/coolers "Mouse" function with the console Hybrid technology & fuel economy – when it works It is well insulated & quiet USB connectivity & sound system

Suggested Improvements

Lexus really needs to fix the hybrid/fuel economy meltdown. I was rather disturbed at the ineptness of the Lexus service department and their very strong message that there was no solution to the problem; nor were they willing to find one. Lexus Customer Services was a joke. My service representative was cocky and primarily responded to all of my concerns with "that's too bad." Not sure I will buy another Lexus after this experience!

2013 RX 450h vs 2006 RX400h
By pcwlexus

2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a new 2013 RX450h after having the original RX400h since April 2005. Since it's been 7 model years of advancements I expected the new 450h to be more technically advanced then my 400h (it truly is), but I am amazed how much better it is overall. The 2013 handles much better, is quieter, and the transitions from no engine to having the engine cut on are not noticeable like they were on the 400h; especially at traffic lights. The 2013 feels much more substantial and you really don't hear the road noise or the loud engine go-cart like sounds that I could hear when I accelerated with the 400h.

Favorite Features

I special ordered this 450h as I wanted the luxury package, the Mark Levinson audio system and Remote Start; options that the Washington, DC Lexus dealers rarely have in stock orders. My thoughts were that I wanted the options that I did not get or were not even available back on the 2006 model and I was willing to wait for my exact vehicle. The Luxury Package semi-aniline leather is very rich looking (saddle) and the LED headlights (standard on the AWD version of the Luxury Pkg) are amazing at night and look very contemporary during the daytime.

Suggested Improvements

The only negative that I have on the 2013 is that Lexus relocated the spare tire inside the rear compartment as well as the 12 volt battery from under the hood and therefore eliminated the storage compartments that were under the rear cover on the 400h. But otherwise this new 450h is truly elegant and a pleasure to drive.

All around outstanding mid size SUV
By sgull

2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had a Highlander, drove that and the rx350 and Rx450, the rx 450 beat the others. It's extremely quiet, powerful, luxurious, outstanding build quality and we think very nice looking. It takes getting used to a hybrid in day to day driving, as it doesn't jump off the line unless you want it to. It's almost a game seeing how good of mileage you can get. We are getting at least 28 mph in city driving. We intend to keep this vehicle at least 8 years, and gas is not going to get cheaper so it will pay for us in the long run. The ride on the 450 is smoother than the 350 due to the extra weight of the batteries. We have had zero problems or defects in the 7k plus miles we have driven.

Favorite Features

The Lexus connect is cool, just hit the button, get a live person, ask about a restaurant, store, whatever, and they send the address directly to your nav. The connectivity to our iPhones is excellent, For both music and phone. Everything is automatic, door unlocking, lights, wipers. Xenon headlights are excellent

Suggested Improvements

Working all the extra Internet items can be confusing. The 'mouse' type control takes getting used to Cup holders in front are very small due to the width of the mouse controller. The change holder is joke

POOR fuel economy!
By yodaskywalker

2013 Lexus RX 450h SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very disappointed! Fuel economy well below the EPA estimates. Had I known I would only get 22-23mpg I wouldn't have wasted my money on the hybrid version. Definitely feel cheated. Poor design of back seats. There is a large gap between the back seats that is both a safety hazzard and is unsightly. Poor design of navigation/computer as unable to perform many functions when the vehicle is in motion. Windshield wipers/washer has poor coverage of the front windshield. Unable to close off outside air when the defroster is engaged.

Favorite Features

Difficult to say as positive attributes are overshadowed by disappointment and anger over vehicle shortcomings.

Suggested Improvements

See above review