Used 2005 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Freelander 2005
By lakewood

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I goofed or did I? I did not test drive the car I took home. I expected regardless of color, they would all work the same. This is idealistic. My transmission had an intermittent problem. Actually, I did not goof. The factory is repsonsible, not me, to deliver a working product. Could a 5 mile test drive identify something...maybe. For the average person, it would not.

Traction, styling, dealer.

Service response time needs to improve. The corporate staff was said to run the dealer through a process to replace the transmission that took 35 days. In the meantime, I filed BBB claims and then started a lawsuit. Time delays give the consumer too much time to react and lose confidence.

Great Drive, Very English Car
By jlg

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great driving smaller SUV. Learn about english cars before buying very quirky and odd at times. It is different and a land rover. But you could probably buy something more pratical, but why? If you want something to drive without attention don't buy this one. Overall I like it but not without issue with some things. The greast thing it has is a heated Windshield. Everything else I wonder who designed it, so I could rough them up. It is a neat car though.For the right person.

Heated windshield

Cup Holders, power window buttons, dash lighting and instrumentation

BIG joke---on me
By LOSER

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have had the car for a year, and we have taken it in on 7 occasions, most of the things were repeats, squealing brakes, which are apparently normal! Sometimes sticky and sometimes mushy. The traction control turns itself on and off at will. The rear door won't unlock, the window goes down at will- pretty much all things electric don't work. The seatbelts don't work, and the airbag didn't deploy in a wreck. Also the speakers sound like they are blown and always have. The dealer could care less, the mechanics come up with completely assinine excuses for things- when they aren't being extraordinarily rude-don't expect help from the big co. either-nobody will help

The low interest rate-now I know why I got one. It looks nice but that's about it.

LR roadside assistance is a joke-they won't come get you in a wreck-better have AAA. Suggested improvement? Quit making Freelanders.....

Don't even consider this vehicle
By disappointed

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2003 Freelander and had to get rid of it. At 65K The head Gasket went. It was to Land Rover multiple times and they could NOT diagnose it. I had to personally tell them that the coolant was going into the oil because I took an oil sample. After they diagnosed the head gasket , they would not garantee the repair. The total for the repair was $2800. It ate brakes and rotors , I had electrical probs including the radio cutting out when it rained. I thought Land Rover was reputable and they would sell a reliable vehicle. I was wrong. I can go on and on . . .buying this vehicle was a MAJOR mistake.

Run - Run Far Away
By Nichol

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Expensive Lemon City - Major electrical issues with engine. Left me stranded 2x for over 6 hrs waiting for LR road side assistance. Radio broke 2x, brakes squeal like pigs, air conditioner poured water on front passengers' feet and spit water thru vents. Engine still smells like it is burning despite mechanics check 2x. Everyone hits head getting into car including 5'0" ft sister. Stabilizing bar feels off - heard others had problems here. Rear tailgate window drops when car is off, key out & no one is near. Took in 4 repair & mechanics didn't reinstall my rear door lock - took 2 wks for LR 2 fix it. They acted like it was my fault. Not nearly enough luggage space - 2 suitcases MAX.

Seats great for bad backs. Great exterior look. Good lights for night time driving. Love the heaviness of the vehicle. Fun to ride on rough terrain when it's not in shop - so not often. Lame security system - each key is $60. Suede-ish interior is a Mom with children's worst nightmare.

Terrible customer service and mechanics at dealerships at Frederick and Virginia Beach & LR 1-800 number. Road side assistance is a joke. When I showed concern about all my LR problems, the head mechanic said the "LR has more computers than the 1st space shuttle and should expect it". NOT at $27K!