Used 2005 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Owned 6 years, traded for a Hyundai
By capecodrondo

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Freelander brand new in 2005. I loved the handling and ride but over the years found the vehicle to be gas-hungry, under-powered and of poor build quality. Constant electrical problems including a repeated problem with windshield wiper switches. After having driven Jeeps for many years I was surprised to get stuck in the Freelander during snowstorms that the Jeeps handled well. I traded for a Hyundai Veracruz two years ago and found it a much more reliable vehicle. The Veracruz (now a long body Santa Fe) is better in the snow than my Rover was and is an all around more civilized vehicle.

Heated windshield, hill descent control

The Freelander was a mistake for Rover. I have not heard good things about its successor model, either.

poor choice
By none61

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from dealer with 28K miles. Spends most of it's time in the shop. Was told the engine needs to be replaced at 55K miles. Land Rover mechanic says its junk.

Wow!
By miaheartless

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Freelander... Great for winter weather, mountain terrain driving. Geared low, handles amazing in snow and icy conditions. The only repairs other than normal wear for me have been two sensors. The most expensive repair costed less at a small shop, Walt's in Gig Harbor, WA than the regular service at Land Rover and it was for the thermostat control sensor (going on memory for title of part). On the other hand, not the car you want for consistant high miles, highway driving. Driving like I have to now is a waste of this vehicle. I've taken it through some scary bad weather including road closures and that's where it excels!

Aside from the automatic transmission, having the option for manual gear shift control for off highway roads or snow and icy conditions.

Computer control system, sensors, normal maintenance fees. Incline / Descend - do not use on dirt desert roads for steep grades off highway - it just damages breaks/drums but works great for snow! Power windows - not sure what it is about the design - but doesn't hold up well.

"It's Still in the Shop"
By What next?

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

At the beginning of this year, my 2005 Freelander with less than 50,000 miles started overheating. They replaced head gasket #4. They had the car for 2 weeks. Then, less than 2 months later, it lost power going up hills, they replaced head gasket #2 (they had the car another 2 weeks). Then, a month after that, the radio stayed on when I turned the car off. They changed out some electrical thing, (they had the car for a week). Approximately 1 month later the car was overheating again, it was head gasket #1. They decided to replace the engine (they had the car 5 weeks). Last week my new engine was leaking oil, faulty oil gasket in the new engine. (They had the car 1 week). Craziness..

Heated seat. I love the seat heater.

Faster pick up, more comfortable seats, more driver leg room, more reliable, need I go on?

Got Gotten!
By Bubbles

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car I financed in order to buy this car last minute, I had to scramble to get it. Within the same month of buying it, I had 2 take it back to the dealership because the car wouldn't start, they fixed it then couple of weeks later the temp gauge started lighting up. They looked at it 2x, first stating coolant level down, then claiming the cap containing coolant needed to be replaced, now after 2 wks temp gauge still light red. I then took it to Land Rover dealer and they also recommended engine replacement to the tune of $10k. I was shocked, depressed, and felt like someone just really took advantage of me. I GOT GOTTEN!!

I actually love the car. I love the sound system and the fact that its a soft back convertible.

That freaking engine!