2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:
wish i would have read these reviews before buying!!
By jferguson74 on 06/12/12 07:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander in july of 2011 it only had 55,000 miles and got a good deal on it. only put 3,000 miles on it since i got it and have spent over $4,000 in repairs!!!!! starter, head gasket, window motor, radiator, etc! almost everything. its so hard to find someone to work on it and the parts and labor are ridiculous. once we get it out of the shop this time we are trading it in!!!! do not waste your money... it may sound like a good deal but its not worth the money and aggravation!!!

rotten rover
By surreyman on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased in 2007 this 2004 model had done only 15,000 miles. The first thing to go wrong was a fuel pump at 15,500 miles. The lr dealer did not want to know neither did lr head office. Then the window regulators went within weeks in the back. Finally, having serviced the car every six months and at 35,000 miles the turbo went. The workshop said I should use an lr new turbo due to the quality so I laughed and said I had had it with lr quality. I found an independent shop reconditioning turbos and got one for another workshop to fit. That's $2500 instead of $3300 at the dealers. So about half the car value retail and close to trade in prices.

Oops I purchased a Freelandrover
By steenberg on 06/29/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having now read all the reviews, I no longer feel alone. Day 2, my Landy was back in the shop, transmission replacement parts, repair 1 week. Brakes and rotors at oil change frequency. Consistent electrical problems. Coolant leak in side the care under drivers door mat. Non stop transmission problems, vibration on acceleration. 2 months after the first coolant leak, the same problem. Battery died. Electrical window problems. I have extended warranty and am $100 out, sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Car is not reliable. Dealer has been excellent! This year I have driven a rental car more than my own car, is this a lemon?

BIG mistake!
By ihatelandrover on 05/21/08 23:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchasing this vehicle was the worst mistake I have ever made. A coolant leak caused me to need a new engine after only 50K miles. Land Rover fought me tooth and nail over this, although they admit that this was a factory defect. It took 2 months to get a new engine (at considerable cost to me, even with the extended warranty). This is the second Land Rover that died on me. This car also ate brakes and, like many Freelanders, the sunroof broke an hour after I drove it off the lot. This vehicle was not worth the money that I put into it. The poor quality of Land Rover customer and sales service only made the experience worse. I will never consider a Land Rover again.

A Michigan Freelander
By Philip Dingle on 01/08/08 17:22 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Freelander is 4 years old now, and I am generally pleased with the ownership experience. There was an early-life electrical problem which required the car to be towed into the dealership, but with that fixed, there have been no other problems. Performance is quite adequate, ride and handling are good, comfort is reasonable, and it has handled the dirt roads in Michigan very well. Interior noise level is higher than I would like.

satisfied with my landrover
By sherry heverly on 03/14/07 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my freelander off the showroom floor, love at first sight!, it is my first suv and i bought it mostly for my dogs, who travel with me daily. all in all it is reliable. there have been some english quirks, but it starts up every day and gets me to work and i love the style and handling. the quirks have been, a recalled engine at 35,000 miles, brakes that squeal, it does go through brake pads quickly.but i am still satisfied with it.

British View
By Eddie on 12/15/06 06:00 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi Guys I have had a 1.8 Petrol engine manual for two years the only problem I have had is the three lights for ABS/TC & HD Kept lighting it took three attempts to fix the fault but after that I have enjoyed every moment with the car. I have found that over Mud and rough terrain this thing never lets me down. There are a few issues I have like the front seats are not very comfy for long drives but other than that the car is OK. I have done 20,000 miles in mine I have not had to replace the tires and Brakes as yet. I will be replacing this one with a New Diesel next week with an Auto engine.

I really like my 04 Freelander
By Randall Thomas on 01/21/06 01:03 AM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We use the Freelander as a daily driver on pavement, with only a few off-road trips. It is comfortable on long trips, delivers gas mileage in the low 20's mpg, is fun to drive, and distictive. It is very confidence inspiring on wet and icy roads here in the mountains of Eastern KY, handles great, and is easy to park. We have had no reliability issues and the dealer experience has been outstanding--even organizing an off-road trip in West Virginia and a free restaurant meal! I'm only sorry that Land Rover has (for now) discontinued the Freelander in the USA, giving me something of an 'orphan' feel- -kinda like how I feel about my old MG.

2004 Land Rover Freelander SE
By clwoolner on 09/25/05 22:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

A fun and sporty vehicle to drive. I have had no mechanical or structural problems with the Freelander. It's been safe and consistently reliable and handles well in all weather conditions (snow, sleet, rain). Gas mileage is average and is noticably worse when A/C is used. Overall, very pleased with my purchase!

I'd buy another one
By Nancy M on 12/31/04 12:47 PM (PST)

2004 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have both a Mercedes and Land Rover Freelander. The Land Rover is a lot of fun to drive. I am impressed with the manufacturer warranty and how I was treated when I had a minor problem. I will buy from Land Rover again!