Used 2008 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Kia Spectra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Super Spectra 5
By Julie

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because the combination of reviews, price and fuel economy were hard to beat and it has exceeded my expectations! Great fun to drive and I rarely get less than 30-32 MPG. Have gotten as much as 35 pretty regularly. My only complaint is that it could use a few more little storage compartments and I miss having the temperature and compass feature that I had in my last car.

Bye Bye Kia
By Bri

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well, I owned this car for 11 months and totaled it a couple weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed the Spectra5, and it did pretty well with a rear collision at 50 mph. Pushed me into another car, so both the front and back ends got it, but neither crumpled that far. Safety-wise it did pretty good. The driver seat during the collision slid to the back and put me into a reclining position. Strange, but not a serious fault in my opinion. So, good on safety, brakes stopped me, but the Civic behind me... not so much.

Favorite Features

Aux. port, comfy seats - great on long drives, hatchback - so nice for moving large things, windshield washer - one gallon actually fits in there, usually you fit in 0.9 gallons and end up throwing some or saving it in your car. Personal pet peeve. Sunroof - I'm gonna miss my sunroof. Silver pedals

Suggested Improvements

Design - I like the back, but the front is too 'sedany' not sporty enough. Center console storage - no where to put my purse when I had a passenger.

Parking lights stay on sometimes
By Don

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car 6 mo. ago, had this problem since I bought car, dealer said if it doesn't happen all the time, they couldn't fix it. That was fine in the summer but when I had to have it jumped 3 times in the parking lot at work in -10, that's a problem. Brought it back, still wouldn't fix it. Car is 6 mo. old, 13,000 miles, lost 6 grand in value. My mpg were 24-33 thats terrible. My folks' big Buick gets 30 and it's a nice ride, not like this.

Favorite Features

Cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Get better service, give out loaner cars if service will take 4 hours or more.

Awesome value, can't go wrong.
By scott

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving this car. I laugh at matrix owners knowing they paid thousands more and I have a safer ride. I was worried if Kia's quality was where it should be but after owning it I can say it's better than most. Far better than the american car I own.

Favorite Features

Everything is nicely laid out and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Outside styling could be better. And those tail light, you could see them from the moon!

Great car and a great value
By qcspectra

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new last summer. Great build quality and materials, especially at this price. Have previously owned 8 Hondas and 2 Mazdas, and this Spectra easily compares to them. My EX w/manual transmission has averaged 31 in mixed driving (65/35 city/hwy), well over the 23/30 EPA rating. Shopped the '08 Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, Elantra, and Cobalt.

Favorite Features

Quiet in town and on the hwy. Great mpg. Fun to drive with smooth manual transmission. Great stereo w/aux jack for my oldest son's MP3 player. Roomy and comfortable enough for road trips with my wife and 2 kids.

Suggested Improvements

Only 2 things: (1) Make anti-lock brakes available on all trim levels. (2) The manual height adjuster on the driver's seat tips the seat forward as it goes up. It would be nice if the seat itself stayed level.