2014 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Never dreamed I'd own a Kia!
By ffc27

2014 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Pros: I wanted an SUV with leg room (I'm 5'11) and enough room for my 4 year old in her car seat to have enough leg room. The Sorento does not disappoint!! It's rare when I have to move my seat forward to drive comfortably, and in the Sorento, I have to do just that! I also wanted decent MPG and AWD. Hard to find in the same vehicle. I've gotten as good as 26.9 MPG on the freeway pushing 80 MPH through a whole tank. I average 20-21 MPG in town. Cons: -The 4cyl is gutless -Third row is not an aftermarket option - I got this car with hopes of adding because AWD and 3rd row are hard to find. -headlights could afford to be brighter. The line where the light ends is frustrating.

-AWD -excellent fuel economy -tall driver friendly -tall passenger friendly, even in the back seat! -cargo space in floor -6 speed trans is pretty great -LATCH system on both sides of car in back seat -turns like a car, I love the turning radius! -handles great in the hills

-head lamps need to shine a bit higher/farther -make 3rd row an aftermarket option

Very happy so far
By Jaysan Anderson

2014 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Sorento for a few months now and I still love driving it. I like the handling, the lack of road/wind noise, and all the extras that came with the LX model. Mine also came with the 3rd row seat package. The 3rd row is pretty small, but I love how the whole middle row can slide forward and back to give the 3rd row a little more room if needed. With that option, it makes having bigger people in the back a little more realistic. The 4 cylinder engine is surprisingly strong(though I haven't driven the V6) and it is enough power for most peoples needs. If price isn't a concern, obviously the V6 would be the way to go. As of now, I plan to keep buying Sorentos in the future.

I love how quiet the car is. There's a lot of wind where I live so its nice to not have to listen to it when we drive. I'm impressed with the power the 4cyl has with how heavy the SUV is. It's not a lot of power, but it's more than I thought it would be. I like how much room the Sorento has when the 3rd row is folded down. My wife and I haul lots of wood furniture and so far we've been able to fit everything we've hauled. I love how versatile the Sorento is. The 3rd row seats can be folded down individually and the 2nd row is very versatile as well...way better than just the normal 60/40 split seats. And like I mentioned before, the 2nd row slides forward and back.

The UVO system has a lot to it and when it's working, its really nice. This may just be my experience, but I've had some issues with it freezing up and not showing the names of the songs on my iphone sometimes but then showing the names other times. It just seems to act up once in a while and it can be frustrating. On the plus side, I love all the options for music and charging your devices.

Evaluation after one year and 12,000 mi. of driving
By ttadych

2014 Kia Sorento SXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

We live inWisconsin and therefore opted for the all wheel drive version. All systems working very well and generally we are completely satisfied with the decision to purchase. KIA engineers need however, to make the passengers seat fully adjustable. NO WAY TO RAISE SEAT LEVEL. You sit too low in the passenger seat ! This is the top of the line model with nearly every option, but there is no power adjustment for height of the seat. Very short sided on KIA's behalf….. Like the power of the engine and would not sacrifice the power for a bit more economy…however there must be a way to engineer at least a few more mpg out of that engine. GREAT CAR OVERALL

Navigation All Wheel Drive

Seat Height Adjustment On Passenger Seat. There is NONE Currently

Kia Sorento
By brianv2

2014 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

My wife needed a new car and we wanted something that could haul 5 comfortably, and occasionally squeeze up to 2 more. Reliability was also very important. In addition, my wife loves all the little comfort features, so these were the main 2 criteria. After extensive research, I narrowed down the list to: Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Toyota Highlander. Personally, I preferred the Santa Fe, but there are way fewer of these on the market (we were looking for a late model lightly used vehicle to not take the big depreciation hit). So, it was between the Santa Fe and Highlander. I like the Highlander, but I was able to get a newer Sorento with less miles and more features.

* Peppy V6 * Cooled/heated seats * Panoramic sunroof * UVO system * backup camera

Extend the wheel base 4-5 inches to make the 3rd row more of an every day option.

Cannot see Speedometer needle in bright light
By hobby1

2014 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

My 2012 Sorento was great so I traded to 2014 when time came. The auto dim feature of the instrument cluster makes it difficult and at times impossible to see speedometer needle. Kia says it is "working as designed" "Kia cannot help you" It is bright with no problems at night/in garage and on cloud/stormy days. Since design features are not covered by warranty Kia America refuses to address the matter. 7 others have filed same complaint with National Safety Board. I must get rid of the car before i have an accident while trying to locate my speed. Also window shade rattles "no adjustment can be made". Will be my last Kia.

Pickup of V6 and exterior appearance

Must get rid of auto dim feature for instrument panel. I fail to understand why the customer has a control feature for the illumination that is overridden by some software package. The entire issue can be corrected with a software adjustment but Kia refuses to consider it..."it is working as designed" second row seating needs to be able to be on moveable track. Need a little more room in front as well.