A good buy with a few flaws
By upacrk1 on
2012 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I bought a new 2012 Kia Optima LX in Snow White Pearl back in May 2012. Originally I had an issue with the driver's seat not being very comfortable. (I didn't notice this in the short test drive.) In the 9 months I've owned it, my butt seems to have gotten used to it. The acceleration is great! So good that if the roads are slick, I have to put it in ECO mode so the tires don't slip. This may also says something about the OEM Nexen tires. I haven't been driving much so far- only 4700 miles. (Try to walk/bike as much as I can). MPG per tank is 22-27 with an avg 24.5 . As expected, mileage is lower in the cold winter months. No long trips yet - can't wait to see what I'll get then!
Favorite Features
I like the dash layout, the computer functions, the manual auto shift pattern, reasonably sized trunk, impressive pickup, styling, electric steering, handling, USB port (where I have my music on a 16GB stick), and Bluetooth w/cell phone connection.
Suggested Improvements
As mentioned by others: passenger seat is too low; a manual elevation pumpup would be an inexpensive and appreciated feature. Quality control could have been better since the driver's door needed to be adjusted for fit at the dealer. The lighter sheet metal makes the interior somewhat noisy when driving in the rain puddles. I wish it had a space saver spare. I got the beige cloth interior; it's very light, too light! I wish I had gotten the gray cloth. It would be nice if the "random" song feature would remain set. A 12V plug for the rear seat would be nice.
By orleans44
on 03/30/13 17:39 PM (PDT)

Spot on about the noise when traveling on wet pavement. It's really loud, as if you're driving with the windows down when driving through the puddles, etc.

By upacrk1
on 12/31/13 03:39 AM (PST)

An update - The car is still driving well with no new problems. It has only been to the dealer for oil changes and a tire rotation. I did buy a compact spare tire kit online from Kings Kia for $180 delivered, significantly less than what the local dealer wanted for it. The mileage is still not as good as would have liked but then most of my driving is local around town. The Nexen tires still suck (slip on both wet and dry pavement) and I see that there are lots of complaints about poor tire wear. No light in the glove box. I guess you get what you pay for. It's a good looking car but I sure don't love it like I have my past cars. I don't think I'll have this one for too many years.