Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

It's not a car, it's a jeep
By Dave Bennett

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Its awkward getting in and out, leaves a lot to be desired in freeway driving, and gets poor milage, but getting behind the wheel changes your perspective. I've been driving mine for 19 years - they really do seem to last forever. The short wheelbase, wide track, and high center of gravity make for unsettled travel at 70mph, but it's a minimally compromised drive aimed at the off road. A turn off the pavement turns the just tolerable highway cruiser into the master of its environment. Even if you don't spend a lot of your time in the back country, it's alway there in the back of your mind.

Highly Reliable, Highly Fun!
By krakenbound

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I picked up a stock 97 TJ SE (2.5L, 5-speed, No A/C) with 140k for $4k. I then spent $8k and two years of hobby time on full lockers, gears, suspension, winch, rack, bumpers, etc, etc.

It is highly reliable; starts fast and never hicups. The engine is easy to work on, and striping out the interior bits is also quite easy for upgrades and fixes.

A Reman motor will only cost you $1500 and a
weekend to swap it, or half that for a transmission, so long term cost to run it is dirt cheap, vs. the 6cyl w/auto at twice that price, or my 1/2 ton truck, which costs three times that to rebuild.

It's not plush or fast, but it crawls up anything, gets lots of admiration and ride requests! FUN!

- Lots of elbow room in the engine compartment - Simple and durable interior - Lots of aftermarket support

It's a Jeep. Any "improvements" will just be pricey comfort and convenience items for city folks trying to look like they off-road. Keep it simple, Keep it Jeep!

Overall worth every penny
By timo88

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 97 wrangler SE a couple weeks ago with 115k miles on it. it had a 4" lift and 33x 12.5 tires on it. over all it is a fun ride and even better when i drop the soft top. the only issue i have is a common one with jeeps. the infamous death wobble. every now and then i the jeep will go into a violent shake that is only stopped by slowing down. after plenty of research i have found that is a moderatly easy and cheap fix. about $375. kevinsoffroad has kits for this specific problem that are supposed to fix it completely. i will be installing mine tomorrow and im sure ill see an improvement. even with this problem i still can rely on it for a everyday driver.

easy to drive, easy and cheap to fix, and its unstoppable offroad.

needs more lockable interior storage.

Great little tank
By katiec3

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have only had her about a month, and this is my first car. I always wanted a jeep and waited until I found a good deal, and I can honestly say it was well worth the money even though she's 15 years old. My boyfriend calls her "the tank" and makes fun of me for driving it, but he just doesn't get it! It's not the smoothest ride, it doesn't accelerate fast, and she has her quirks, but we'll see what he says when I'm pulling his brand new chevy cruze out of snowbanks all winter, offroading by myself all summer and mowing down zombies during the apocolypse. It runs like a top and so far, I am very pleased. I'm officially a Jeep Girl!

Fun unless on the highway...
By erik1493

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeeps are great, fun, and reliable cars.
The ride is bumpy, but if you buy padded seat covers you will be VERY comfortable.
Don't, and I repeat, do not, get a Jeep with
4 cylinder engine.
My jeep has the v4 and honestly, I can barely pass cars on the highway at 60mph

Totally customizable. Reminds me of Jurassic park, no joke, favorite movie :D. Fun and can go offroad.

Add a center console. Better mpg