1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Highly Reliable, Highly Fun!
By krakenbound on 07/28/13 00:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I picked up a stock 97 TJ SE (2.5L, 5-speed, No A/C) with 140k for $4k. I then spent $8k and two years of hobby time on full lockers, gears, suspension, winch, rack, bumpers, etc, etc. It is highly reliable; starts fast and never hicups. The engine is easy to work on, and striping out the interior bits is also quite easy for upgrades and fixes. A Reman motor will only cost you $1500 and a weekend to swap it, or half that for a transmission, so long term cost to run it is dirt cheap, vs. the 6cyl w/auto at twice that price, or my 1/2 ton truck, which costs three times that to rebuild. It's not plush or fast, but it crawls up anything, gets lots of admiration and ride requests! FUN!

Overall worth every penny
By timo88 on 03/20/13 05:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 97 wrangler SE a couple weeks ago with 115k miles on it. it had a 4" lift and 33x 12.5 tires on it. over all it is a fun ride and even better when i drop the soft top. the only issue i have is a common one with jeeps. the infamous death wobble. every now and then i the jeep will go into a violent shake that is only stopped by slowing down. after plenty of research i have found that is a moderatly easy and cheap fix. about $375. kevinsoffroad has kits for this specific problem that are supposed to fix it completely. i will be installing mine tomorrow and im sure ill see an improvement. even with this problem i still can rely on it for a everyday driver.

Great little tank
By katiec3 on 12/14/12 21:00 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have only had her about a month, and this is my first car. I always wanted a jeep and waited until I found a good deal, and I can honestly say it was well worth the money even though she's 15 years old. My boyfriend calls her "the tank" and makes fun of me for driving it, but he just doesn't get it! It's not the smoothest ride, it doesn't accelerate fast, and she has her quirks, but we'll see what he says when I'm pulling his brand new chevy cruze out of snowbanks all winter, offroading by myself all summer and mowing down zombies during the apocolypse. It runs like a top and so far, I am very pleased. I'm officially a Jeep Girl!

Fun unless on the highway...
By erik1493 on 06/23/11 15:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeeps are great, fun, and reliable cars. The ride is bumpy, but if you buy padded seat covers you will be VERY comfortable. Don't, and I repeat, do not, get a Jeep with 4 cylinder engine. My jeep has the v4 and honestly, I can barely pass cars on the highway at 60mph

Great Find
By algobull on 04/04/11 14:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got this wrangler with 68K Mi about 2 years ago. I know have over 90K and it feels like it could go on forever. It was only supposed to be a weekend car, but after I lost my job, it's my everyday driver, and I love it. I live in Florida and people always look at me with envy when driving it down the road. I got an automatic because I blew 3 clutches in in 4 years on my previous jeep... I found out later it's due to a minor and fixable repair in the master cylinder... I do miss the 5 speed though, better power and much better MPG's. Even young girls love it (not as much as my old mustang, but hey)... and I'm glad it's slow because fast cars are def not a good idea for me (i.e. 3 clutches)

Frank the Tank
By PAPA SMURF on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep and it has a 4 cylinder engine in it and it has plenty of power, it can always use more, but really I dont see that big of a difference... This truck makes you feel like your driving a tank and is a great 2nd vehicle but could easily be a primary vehicle. WARNING: I heard that the hood vent gets clogged and lets water in, it didnt happen to me, but my new soft top window seals let water in 2 days after I bought it. I did some research and It happens a lot! To all years! That ok cause there are drain plugs and I use it for trailing so its no biggie for me, but I would have been mad if this was my primary vehicle. PS its not that hard to fix so dont worry...

Been through hell and back
By bigfortdawg on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have a 97 tj 2.5l 5 speed this was my first Jeep/car I have replaced the engine twice once at 27,000 and again at 93,000 it now has been converted to an off-road vehicle with 33-13.50 ltbs and a 5 inch lift oh yea I had to replace the computer at 140,000 that was fun to track down, so I still got it and it's running good at 156,000

Best Ride Ever!
By Jeff on 06/23/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep Wrangler as a demo in 1998. I've put 188,000 miles on it and have been more then happy with it since day 1. It goes everywhere, from the tropics to winter blizzards. I've owned many high end vehicles and get more enjoyment out of this Jeep then any of the others!

Good car
By Jeremy on 04/15/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had it about a year now and I love it. Everyone in my high school is jealous because they can't do anything near what I can. Sitting on 35" tires and a 4 inch lift kit it's unstoppable.

Its a JEEP thing(you wouldnt understand)
By JEEP MAN on 02/18/10 14:00 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I LOVE my Jeep..got a kick out of the last review i read about a guys jeep with a bad tranny..mine has 198000 miles on it and have NEVER had a transmission problem. I live in Georgia and ole Blacky will go anywhere i want it to go.It is after all a hummer rescue vehicle..My jeep has had 2 problems in all the years and miles i've put on it.,I had to have brushes put in the alternator,and i replaced the seal in the steering box once.It dosen't have a lift kit on it and i run 1050s on it..When i first got it it was one of about 6 or 7 jeeps in my area of NW Georgia.Now Jeeps are EVERYWHERE.and mine still looks the best..LOL..want a great reliable FUN vehicle?? Buy a JEEP