2008 Jeep Patriot Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Patriot Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice vehicle
By Tad

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought the Freedom Drive II off- road version a week ago and took it on a camping trip near Moab, Utah. Didn't do any offroading, just rough dirt roads, and the Patriot did great. It got 25-26 mpg on the highways and had no problems cruising at 75 and handling the hills on I-70. We had been using a minivan for these camping trips and were pleasantly surprised that we could pack all that stuff into the Patriot as it's a smaller vehicle. We have no complaints about the Patriot and that is saying something for us as we tend to be rather picky about vehicles. So this is now our camping mobile and we're very happy with the purchase.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, price, competence on bad dirt roads, decent power, CVT (yes, I like it!), interior layout, sound of the engine, hill descent control, head and foot room is great, solid feel to the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Engine could be quieter at higher rpms (although it does sound pretty cool, I have to admit), sitting position seems far back from the windshield, can't rest my arm on the door with the window up due to the shape of the door panel, seats could be slightly wider.

Jeep Fundamentals
By Ryan

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Having traded a supercharged Grand Prix for a 4 cyl. 1.5 ton vehicle, I was a little weary about losing the performance I enjoyed. I was shocked with the performance of the Jeep and bought the vehicle after further review of reliability and economy. It won't be setting any land speed records; however, buying a 4X4 setting speed records should be of least concern. The Patriot has 600 miles now and averages 24-26 mpg including 4X4 use from a recent snow. All controls are easily located and the steering wheel controls are very handy since my GP had a similar set up. The Patriot handles like a car, but strong winds can push the Jeep. Chose the Patriot for the traditional Jeep look. A+ Jeep

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls, 4X4 lock, Sat radio, 9 Speaker Boston Stereo, Reclining rear seats, built in/rechargeable flashlight, autostick transmission, CVT... just a beginning of a long list of great features on the Patriot.

Suggested Improvements

Locking glove box, Premium 6 disc stereo does not have an aux jack, remote start, 17" wheels fill up with snow easily and cause wheels to off balance making for a miserable ride. Cleaning snow out of wheels brings back the excellent ride of the Patriot. Not many complaints. Excellent buy.

Surprising Value
By msrngtp2002

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am pleasantly surprised by the quality, comfort and performance of this vehicle. Mileage in town is about 23.5 mpg and highway hovers around 29.5. In full automatic mode the car accelerates at a moderate pace, but using the auto-stick really kicks it in gear. Adequate in-car capacity (although I would recommend covering the seat backs if you haul anything that may snag them). Seat comfort and adjustability offer enough range for just about anyone. I am glad I bought this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The fold down seats let me carry some pretty large items.

Suggested Improvements

The standard sound system is not very acoustic.

Mine broke down
By christy

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I read every other review & did lots of research and after an hour long test drive bought my Patriot. I loved it until 35 miles down the road it broke down. It has been towed in & dealer is repairing. I wanted a new one but..no luck. They said when they filled it up a lot of water got in tank. They are draining tank & I hope to be going soon. However, I remain concerned.

Almost perfect
By Jim

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

If the front seats were built better, this would be the perfect vehicle. It is the perfect size, gets about 25 mpg which is good for a 4wd, has great visibility, and well designed flexibility in loading the interior. It is a real blast to drive, and getting used to the CVT transmission didn't take as long as I expected. So far, I have not discovered any factory defects and this Jeep really seems tight - no squeaks or rattles. This is built much better than other Chrysler products that I have owned. However, the front seats are thinly padded over a hard shell. There are no springs and, consequently, no give in the seats. Bumps telescope directly to your spine through your tail bone.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity (2,000 pounds), fuel economy, style, interior flexibility, good visibility, seating room, good maneuverability, and quality of construction. Chrysler lifetime powertrain warranty.

Suggested Improvements

PUT BETTER SEATS in this Jeep and it will be a perfect vehicle. Copy the seat construction of the Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, or Honda CR-V. Put some springs in the seat. Better lumbar support is also needed.

I heart my Jeep!
By mkinthecity

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

With the continual climb in gasoline prices & my need for a 4WD vehicle for the wintry conditions of New England, I needed a rugged yes stylish car to get me to & fro work & play safely. After searching the market for a compact SUV, I stumbled upon the Patriot. I couldn't be happier that I did! The price was right and the design is classic Jeep through and through. The heated leather seats, moon roof, and standard Sirius Radio on the Limited Edition, it was love at first test drive! Easy to maneuver around town and in tight parking spaces, but surprisingly roomy on the inside... couldn't ask for a better combination. A definitive mix of spunk and sexy...WARNING: Cute-utes beware...

Favorite Features

Styling-modern & classic at once; roominess; heated seats; good gas mileage for an SUV; fun to drive; Sirius Radio; moon roof

Suggested Improvements

Power seats would be nice as an available option... that's it! I'm enjoying it so much it's difficult to think of a negative!

So Far So Good
By Dave

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was looking for a small SUV. My wife and daughter both drive Honda CR-V's. I was looking for something a little different. I found it in the Jeep Patriot. Drives very nice and is loaded with features. Love the Satellite Radio. Drives very smoothly and feels well built. I have a little over 3000 miles on it and no rattles or noises. Getting about 25 - 26 miles per gallon. Not bad for a 4X4 automatic. I am pleased with my Jeep!

Favorite Features

Satellite Radio, automatic door locks, steering wheel radio controls, heated seats. I also like the classic jeep exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Right now I can't think of any thing

Great, cheap vehicle
By gibz

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my 2WD base model real cheap, saved $4,300 off MSRP (Socal dealer). Positives: More fun to drive than other small SUVs I've tested. Ergonomically sound dash and cabin space. Great looks outside, wipe-down interior inside. Bucket seats. Good driving position, handles better than entry-level sedan. Easily holds surfboard/dog. Negatives: Crappy Chrysler paint job, lots of orange peel. Weirdly -- can anyone explain this? -- when mine hits 68mph the engine emits a high-pitched frequency sound. Not good ... Engine noise is moderate apart from that. I got mine with 0 miles on clock. Would recommend it to anyone. Love its looks in bad-boy black, I shoulda got the 17" rims tho ...

Favorite Features

MP3 input, removable hose-able cargo floor. Quality of seat materials. Roomy, comfortable cabin (I'm 6-1"). Jeep marque. Fuel economy - I get high 20s, unbelievable for a Jeep. Basic stereo is adequate.

Suggested Improvements

Few options on base model (tho CD stereo and AC are standard). Nowhere to fit amp or stereo woofer. Was mildly amused/bemused by lack of mirror switchgear. Leg room in back seats, probably -- haven't had anyone in there yet but looks tight-ish.

Very pleased
By Bryan

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking to upgrade to an suv,and was willing to trade off gas mileage, then came along the patriot.I'm not a serious off roader (let's face it,95% of you with suvs never see dirt), but I need to get to the trailhead or ski area, over moderately rocky and mucky logging roads with ease.I tested it this winter a few times up some steep mountain dirt roads in deep snow and an ice storm, no problem. The engine is still breaking in,getting 22 to 23 mpg mostly around town If you don't need a rock crawler or a super sized suv,and you'd rather put your hard earned money in the bank rather than your tank, this is your vehicle.With gas approaching $4/gallon, I applaud Jeep for thinking ahead.

Favorite Features

Both awd and 4wd, CVT works beautifully, autostick is nice so you don't have to ride brakes downhill or twisty roads. Gas mileage and descent power are a plus. Styling inside and out is "classic" and tasteful without looking cheap. Yes essentials seats fit my lifestyle perfectly and are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Stock steel wheels were too ugly, I spent extra for upgraded wheel and all terrain tires (worth it!). Included lumbar adjust would be nice with upgraded seat package (even though they are still comfortable). Cruise control "stick" looks and feels flimsy, I would prefer back on the turn signal lever.

Get the 5 speed 4x4
By Lucas

2008 Jeep Patriot SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my Dark Green Patriot. Love it. Power is perfect, I have no clue why people bash it. I have the 5 speed which is peppy and gets great mileage. My first tank I got 26mpg and I went 309 miles before the fuel light popped on. This lifetime powertrain warranty was the selling point for me. No need to buy the FDII model unless you go off- road a ton. My FD I performs well, plus 90% of my time I will be on the highway If you can afford it spring for the 17" wheel package and the moon roof, the stock 16" rims are hideous

Favorite Features

17" rims, and interior. very classy inside

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank, I am use to my accord going 400 miles per gas tank. I only get about 300-330 now