1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: My poor Jeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

My poor Jeep
By Great SUV! on

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought my beloved Jeep GC with 107k miles. The good far outweighed the bad. 24+ mpg highway with the inline 6 and auto transmission. Would haul anything I put in it (1200lbs of Pavers) or towed behind it. Water poured in by the passenger A pillar while raining, brake rotors warped easily, power locks worked most of the time. It never left me stranded even though I used the heck out of it with little maintenance. As it was "dying" something would fail ONLY at the end of a long trip **after arrival**. A trans fluid line to the oil cooler blew off at 192k miles and the trans was toast, but it still drove me safely to a parking lot and out of traffic. My poor Jeep was good to me.

Very efficient for an SUV, small size compared to huge monsters on the road today. I called it the "mini-me SUV". Could stretch out in the back with the seats down on a long trip and saved hundreds avoiding hotels.

I didn't find any one thing particularly lacking, and I drove it a LOT without babying it and minimal maintenance.