1996 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
The first car
By kevinl4u on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Isuzu Trooper SE 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first car and it is great. I have 221,000 miles on it and I have only had to fix the axle boots. This car has been used for moving things and has showed its power. I couldn't have asked for a more dependable first car.

Best Vehicle We've Owned!
By cing2me on 03/15/10 18:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this Trooper new and at 200,000 miles it is still going strong. The interior and exterior still look like new. The a/c gave out at about 120,000 miles. We had to replace the rotors at 140,000 miles and the mechanic couldn't believe it. The muffler was replaced at 150,000. We love the cargo room and passenger roominess plus the durability of the interior. Living in the upper peninsula of Michigan with tons of snow, I always feel secure in knowing I can make it home in all kinds of weather.

Very Reliable and Maintenance Free
By troopy on 03/15/09 18:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Trooper used in 1999. This was our 2nd Trooper. We bought one brand new in 1991 and drove it until this purchase. This vehicle has been awesome. Has great acceleration/pick up, extremely comfortable and roomy. We just replaced the power steering hose. Otherwise, it has been maintenance free. It's our 3rd vehicle and I love driving it more than my Mercedes wagon. Will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Built to last
By animaldude53 on 06/20/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

First off, this is an unbelievable vehicle. I bought the 96 in 2007 to haul a horse trailer and it does just fine. I'm 19 and this thing has been put through hell. I can out perform anyone out on the two tracks. It handles the harsh Michigan winters flawlessly, never gotten stuck! I bought it with 170k miles on it and now it has about 214k. Haven't replaced anything that wasn't due to my harsh offroading. I actually use the v6 3.2 litre to pull my dads 7000 lb crestliner. It spits and sputters, but once you put it it power mode it controls the boat rather nicely. Buy this truck you'll have it forever.

BEST Car ever
By ramzi yassine on 06/12/08 23:01 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Okay so I've owned my Isuzu Trooper for over 12 years now. Never had to change anything but the tires twice and the brakes once (coz I over drove it). Drove it three times from Beirut to the deep ends of Turkey and back and a lot of driving in Turkey itself. So far it is my favorite car in the world, durable economical, fits 8 people easy, it's just perfect and its body is tough. My sister drove it and took down an electrical pole and not even a scratch or dent appeared on that beautiful car. Too bad its production was stoped. If you want a car get the Isuzu Trooper. It will make you happy.

Avoid Isuzu
By TrutschEL on 07/05/06 19:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Due to an underdesign, the engine burns oil FAST! The only fix is to rebuild the engine. This engine is not friendly for the DIY'er.

Trooper limited
By justaguy on 05/11/06 13:08 PM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased from the original owner and with ultra low miles (15,000) and in as new condition. Handling is a bit ponderous, but it's a truck. Love the dual locking front/rear axles and compared to domestics, very quiet in 4X4 mode. Pig on gas, great build quality. Leather seats are very firm, great for long hauls but almost like sitting on a board for short runs. Biggest sunroof I have ever seen, quality product; too bad GM didn't promote it.

so...so....
By haeklee on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I`m not gonna buy ISU again.

so-so
By waterfowler on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine with around 40K miles. I now have 81K. It's basically reliable, but the 4WD whines noisily. I have a slight oil leak in one of the valve covers. My biggest disappointment has been the gas mileage; which should be better for a 3.2 liter engine. I'm pretty conservative behind the wheel, and get less than 15 mpg around town. On long trips I can get up to 18, but only if I keep the speed below 70. One final problem is that I have a slight coolant leak in the heater, which would cost a fortune to repair. It's not that noticeable; but in cold, wet weather, it's hard to keep the front window totally defrosted.

Super Trooper
By FLABRIT on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Isuzu Trooper S 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new, Ultra reliable, great vehicle. Not the best gas mileage but what can you expect from a 4x4 SUV?