2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Review: Very Decent If Purchased Corre

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Very Decent If Purchased Correctly
By bobbichen on

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a medium term follow up. I have owned this unit about 6 months with about 5k miles on it. Simply put, I went in with low expectations but it is growing on me. I had the issues with the transmission like many. Three trips to the dealer (flash upgrades and a fluid refill due to a dealer mistake) followed by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (computer reset) finally sorted it out. Now the vehicle drives smoothly with only an occasional missed shift. Mediocre MPG (about 16 to 18 city). All around, though, for the price (purchased at wholesale) it is hard to beat.

Favorite Features

Storage compartments in the rear are very handy. Seats are comfy. Engine power level is good and after unplugging the battery (computer reset) the throttle response is more linear. Vehicle is attractive inside and out. Though there are a ton of Santa Fes on the road the Limiteds have different (nicer) alloy wheels that tend to distinguish them.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is a bit of a weak spot. I suspect a recall will come sooner or later. Unit is almost a bit overpowered. 225 to 235 would be a better level for this size of unit and would help improve gas mileage. Stereo speakers are low quality. A few more dollars in that area would drastically improve sound quality. Factory tires were absolute junk in wet/snow (Bridgestone Dualler) IMHO. I changed out for Michelin XV4s ($1000) and ride quality and traction vastly improved immediately. Factory tires are part of the harsh ride in my experience.