Novelty has worn off a little
By hch2socal on
2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
OK - so with 8500 miles, the novelty has worn off a little. It's still a great commuter, but I agree with many of the other reviews: 1) comfortable on short rides; painful on anything more than 2 hours; 2) horrible power on hills, especially if stopped at a stop light and you have to start on an incline (takes about 3-5 seconds to really "get going"); 3) very loud on anything over 3000 rpm (aka hills). I put on aftermaket wheels b/c I didn't like the stock - looks great, but did subtract 3 MPG (but worth it IMO); I've averaged 37.5 MPG over the past 3,000 miles (and that does involve crossing a 9% incline daily to work). Bottom line - great for MPG; lacks power / comfort.
Favorite Features
Dash / display is great; love the digital speedo. Maintenance minder is nice - "calculates" based on driving when to change oil - able to go 8,000 miles before first oil change (normally I change at 5,000); Honda reliability.
Suggested Improvements
more comfortable seats; soundproof engine bay more; more low-end torque to get started on hills; offer different wheels as an option; when parking, the engine tends to shut down before I'm done parking so has to restart - someone next to me in the parking lot asked me if my car was broken...