2014 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Be careful when you are merging.................
By Chet

2014 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

First, about the performance. There is something wrong with the acceleration when you have been coasting before merging into traffic. When you try to accelerate nothing happens! My dealer says unless I can demonstrate it they can't help but it doesn't always do it. I've seen other complaints about it but the best my dealer service person would say is that customers have told him if you roll through a stop sign and then hit the gas it hangs up for a bit. Well, it sometimes does the same when you are merging. I almost got rear ended by the guy behind me when it happened the first time. Now I don't merge unless there is a huge gap for me to merge into and I'm worried when I do it. Most of the people who complain feel it is the CVT transmission that is the problem and I agree. Now for the head rest. After I bought the car I realized that the head rest was causing me to get a neck ache as it is too far forward. The parts man at my dealership told me he couldn't drive his wife's Accord for the same reason. I tried to find an upholstery person to fix it for me but no one wanted to touch it. I finally I opened it myself and used my wife's carving knife to shave the foam rubber down and stitched it up with mono fishing line. It was a shame to have to do that but Honda (I called Honda customer service) wouldn't help me so I had no choice. At least my dealer parts man tried to help. The head rest was made by two manufacturers so he ordered the other one for me but it was the same. I think he was hoping that would work so he could do the same for his wife's car. Now for the tech stuff. The email & texting features don't work. They don't tell you that only certain cell phones will work with the system when you buy the car. I am sorry I purchased this car. I also have a 2008 Honda CRV which is a great car (including the head rest) but it also now comes with a CVT transmission. I won't buy another Honda.

That's all..folks!
By M.G. Rice

2014 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Rear fold down seat is not split. An incredibly ignorant design

Like it, but not in love!!
By Andy

2014 Honda Accord Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car based on price, room, and fuel economy. I commute over 100 miles a day for work. The fuel economy is excellent for a car this size. It doesn't feel slow at all and averages around 33 mpg. The engine is smooth when raving, but does idle a little rough when cold. It is direct infected, so that isn't a surprise. The car has good looks for the price. For just over 20 grand it has Bluetooth, dual climate, leather wheel, back up camera, and paddel shifters. What I don't like is the noise from the tires. Within 35000 miles I am forced to put a new set of tires on this car. All four of them are cupped and drone enough to drive you crazy. I'm not expecting the car to be like a luxury car, but it shouldn't sound like a jeep riding on mud tires either. I check tire pressure religiously and rotate at oil changes. My other complaint is I can't seem to ever find a comfortable driving position. I find myself constantly adjusting the seat. I am a tall guy at just over 6'2'' and the steering wheel always seems to be covering half of the speedometer also. That is unless I act like I am driving a bus. The speedometer is just way too large and the 45-85 section is the part I can't see. You know the part that is going to get you a ticket. I am constantly tilting my head to see how fast I am going. It's not a horrible thing, but really gets annoying after a while. The seat back that only folds as one piece I don't understand either. I took the car sking and it was quite loud with the whole seat folded down. I guess going sking with more that two people in a four door car is out of the question also without the purchase of an expensive roof top ski rack. I live in Vegas, so the handling has always been good, but in the snow that isn't the case. I had to have a friend come get me less than 800 feet from the hotel as I watched front wheel drive cars pass me. I am pretty sure that has to do with the horrible tires though. Based on my experiences, I can't say I am a diehard Honda fan like others on this site. There are other cars in this category I think I would choose if I had to do it again.

car will not start-faulty igniton switch
By Frances

2014 Honda Accord Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I am really dissatisfied with my 2014 Honda Accord Sport. It is a nice looking car but totally unreliable. I am the first owner and I decided I needed a new car so I wouldn't have any trouble with repairs are being stranded. A year after my purchase, I noticed that the ignition switch would not engage and start the car. I figured I was "doing" something wrong and tried a couple of times to start the car. My husband brought it into the dealership and they said it was probably the battery (small battery came with car) and that the ignition switch was not the problem and not covered under warranty. The car stranded us and we had the battery replaced. This did not solve the problem. Now it takes me a 5-10 times of trying to start the car. The panel and headlights come on, so does the radio but the car will not start. It has gotten to the point, that I leave my teenager in the car with it running so I don't have to sit there wondering if the car will no longer start. The car refuses to start warm or cold. It is frustrating the heck out of me and Honda Customer Service was of no help. They "apologized" and recommended a new dealer service and then wanted to know if I owned other Hondas. (?) I asked her what does that have to do with my new Honda problems. This will be my last Honda purchase.

Tried and tested....not much more
By Alvin

2014 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased a 14 Accord EX-L Sedan, traded it in 6 months later. That about sums it up. Was looking for a roomy sedan (3 kids) and the Accord looked great on paper. It was wider and roomier than most of it's competitors (Passat, Camry, Impala etc) and had a stellar reliability history. Add that to the fact it was re-designed in 13, it sounded to be a winner! Got the vehicle for ~$3k under MSRP, I was overly pleased with the car. It was predictable in the fact that it had good resale value, great gas mileage, good maintenance costs of ownership and looks pretty good as well! The safety features were stellar, from side airbags to lane departure warnings and the awesome pass-side blind spot camera. Why did I trade it in so soon (and take a ~$3k hit financially?). It was....meh. Again, nothing against the Accord, it is a great vehicle, it just wasn't inspirational and, in my case, the best use of ~$25k. Ended up trading towards an older Lexus that I absolutely loved driving. PLUS - Good comfort, great interior materials for the EX-L (was actually worth the upgrade compared to the base LX/Sport model) - Great gas mileage, I'd get almost 40mpg on the highway and respectable almost-30 in the city - Roomy inside including the backseat - Good navigation and entertainment package, decent sound system and user-friendly Negative - Other than personal preference....actually not much. Price-wise it is competitive against a 14 Camry XLE similarly equipped (Camry rides plushier) - Car is predictable but uninspiring, it is a functional vehicle without much pizzazz This is based on my personal expectations and certainly my view. The 14 Accord is a great sedan, I can't be overly critical of it. Just wasn't for me.

• SUV