2002 GMC Safari - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Safari model:
Love it - on my second one
By akgirl on 06/03/08 11:12 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

During the Alaskan winters the side door is great. We all pile in shut the door keep warm and then buckle up. Three kids and friends always fit very comfortable. Lots of room for everyone and their stuff and I can still get groceries.

Great Vehicle
By Bob on 02/17/07 09:14 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the GMC Safari new in 2002 because I needed a vehicle that would haul our stuff to our cabin in Northern Michigan which also had All Wheel Drive for the mud and snow we frequeny encounter. The truck based Safari was the perfect answer and it has proven to be just that. After 108,000 miles, the only repair it has needed was a an alternator during the first year covered by warranty. Too bad there isn't a comparable vehicle available today. Guess I'll keep it. It's still strong and I expect at least 250,000 miles out of it.

Very Good Mini-Van... Great Value!
By HeatherB on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great family vehicle. Reliable and comfortable.

Good, Comfy, Van
By Kyle Brautigan on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned these vans since they came out in 1985. The are roomier, more powerful, and capable than most other minivans on market. These vans have always been reliable besides for a few minor problems. We had to replace brakes at 15,000 miles and GMC wouldn't cover it under warranty which made me angry and made me wonder what the warranty was for.I like the truck- like sensation and this is no woss minivan. The ride is harsh over rough surfaces and it doesn't handle as well as car-based minivans. The interior is cheap plastic and poorly made. Even in the uplevel SLT it is lacking luxury features.

Average Car
By tbuchler on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had problems with my Safari. The sliding psgr door and rear hatch either stick or won't open. Took it to the dealer to get resolved still have same problem. Recently had problems with transmission and oil cooling lines leaking only at 42000 miles. Not impressed with fuel economy or front leg room. I am 6'2 and wife is 5'7". It does pull are 3300 lb popup camper great which is our main reason for buying it.

good ride
By emald on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

2002 gmc safari has been a fine vehicle for my family. We have had zero problems with it. Here in Alaska the AWD and Anti lock brakes have been just the thing. With studed tires on it just won't be stopped.

Consumer
By Tuong Huynh on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

You get more for your money.

A Do-it-All Vehicle
By NJGuy07719 on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at almost every full-size SUV and they were all to expensive and had limited cargo room. Suddenly, I saw the GMC Safari. The Safari does it all and does it well. It has more cargo room than a Ford Expedition and a Chevy Surburban and it was $12,000+ cheaper than either of the two. The only options I did NOT get were AWD, leather, and the homelink. I use my Safari to transport DJ equipment, tow a 27 foot boat, and take Sunday drives with family & friends. I average 16 MPG city and 21-22 hwy, thanks to a K&N filter and a Dynomax muffler. My only complaint is front legroom. Since I am 5'7", its not too bad.

When A Minivan Just Won't Do ...
By Roadapple on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is AWD Safari #2 for us (the '97 got a bit tired at 137k), and its a great family vehicle for long trips, especially in bad weather. No other AWD van has this much room, and especially cargo room, even when traveling with a full load of 8 people. We put 35k+ miles a year on this vehicle, and its tough enough to take it -- wouldn't buy anything else, especially for the money. Only flaw is front end offset crash test results -- could do much better.

Safari: The Un-Minivan
By Tahoe086 on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Safari SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Safari is a Mid-Van so I wont have to say its a Mini-Van any way...the V-6 offers great power for a minivan and the towing compacity is great and needed...I am also pleased to note that it is Rear wheel drive which is AWESOME!!