2008 Ford Focus: Best Bang for the Buck
By Dave R on
2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I purchased my Focus S Coupe mainly for the gas mileage, as the price at the pump was over $4/gal at the time. I test drove an automatic first, then a manual, and settled on the 5-speed, as it literally left the automatic for dead at stoplights. What is more, the manual seemed to hunt between its two top gears with an annoying frequency. This is not a problem when you stir your own gears. Having owned mostly European cars, I was pleasantly surprised with the up-high seating position of the Focus. I also like the steering feel, as it lacks the numbness of so many American cars I have driven. Performance is pretty decent for a car of this type, and the engine is well behaved at all speeds.
Favorite Features
Up high seating, excellent steering feel, well behaved engine and more than adequate headroom for my 6'-2" frame. The stock sound system is pretty good for the price, and its controls have the feel of what one would find in a much more expensive car. The trunk is downright cavernous for a coupe.
Suggested Improvements
A little more AC capacity would be nice on really hot days. Slightly narrower front-seat backs would be helpful, and a remote trunk release would be a nice touch, also. My car is a base model, which I knew going in, so if you don't like a lot of driver involvement, move up-model a notch or two.