1998 Ford Escort Consumer Review: This pony won't quit

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Review

This pony won't quit
By Dennis on

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles after the first owner's 206,000 miles. The engine still runs perfectly with surprising mileage --30-32 mpg in my daily 45 mile commute through and around Detroit and up to 40 mpg in slower highway driving. The body has not a squeak or rattle. Snow traction is great. I've driven through a foot of snow without any problem other than ice getting jammed in the suspension. The AC failed last year; estimates were for more than I paid for the car so I am living with that. I replaced rear struts at about 230,000 miles. Looking ahead, I see only months left on the clutch and 3rd gear is down to a nub so I have to decide soon whether to see if I can get another 200k.

Fun to drive. I loved it on Kentucky mountain roads; no problem with potholed Detroit alleys. So reliable and durable. Still no oil use. This is a much better car than my previous six Fords.

The padding in the seats is not designed for a 600 mile day.