1998 Ford Escort 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Good for 6 years only

1998 Ford Escort - Consumer Review

Good for 6 years only
By DarthSodomus on

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration. Good handling. Lots of features for price. As for reliability go buy a Honda civic instead. A CON is no resalve value. The car is now worthless.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the reliability. Now I'm waiting for a cash for clunkers bill in canada to replace it with a civic. If the Canadian government gives me $3500 for a $500 car I'm gonna laugh all the way to the Honda dealership to get a civic. Buy honda for resale value.