1994 Ford Escort Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:
Just keeps going
By cracker on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

I bought my escort in 2004 with 111.000 miles on it, currently has 172.000 on it and all i can say is it has been one heck of a car, some of my trouble areas was the pump in the transmission went out at 118.000 miles which caused the whole transmission to have to be rebuilt, which if i would have replaced the pump when it started whining it may still be original idk. the a/c and heat have stopped working, but other than that the car just keeps running, no leaks, doesn't use oil, i let the car set for 1 and a half years just got it back on the road a few weeks and runs as good as ever,no problems. but i really like my 'scort and would buy another one.

Most reliable car I've ever owned
By petz on 01/18/10 11:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

By the time I had to give her up,she had almost 300,000 miles on her. Like a member of the family. Never failed to start, got me everywhere I wanted to go in all kinds of weather, like a mountain goat. My son finally wore out the clutch and the wife didn't understand why I'd want to pay out more than the car was worth to fix it. I still miss that car.

Fun but UGLY
By Jalop on 05/28/09 18:12 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

i havent owned the vehicle long, but it has been in my family since it was less than a year old. has been very very reliable. survived 4 wrecks. the a/c went out and requires about $350 in repairs to get it fixed. most everything in the a/c went out at the same time. it has to be one of the ugliest cars i have ever owned. horrible interior design.

Fun car
By eric on 04/18/08 20:06 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Love this little car. Wish I still had it. Hit a deer. Still driveable but looked like crap. Bought the car in 1999 with 54,000 miles and drove it till 170,000 mile when I got rid of it. Best car I ever had. Fast little thing also. Only Grand Am or Grand Prix I could find that could keep up was the one with the supercharged motor. All the others fell behind. The only problem I had was brakes, ball joints, cluch, rear bearings. All replaced once. Lost third gear in trans, never did get it fixed. I just went from second to fourth. I would tell anyone to get the GT. Do not get the auto, go form the manual

boring economical car
By john on 01/02/08 20:01 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback

this car is only for point A to point B driving. every thing elsle on it is boring. its performance sucks. At high speeds it vibrates and its does not hug the corners like I wish it would. one day i was on the freeway and decided to try to keep up with a pretty new BMW m3, I did but it was hard as heck. so basicaly this car is for economical driving only not for performance or fun to drive car.

Nice car, can be a nightmare though...
By HOTCAR on 07/07/07 15:08 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My 1.9 liter Escort is extremely peppy, but here's some advice for people who are going to buy one. Don't gun it at green lights and stop signs. The head gasket is 95% common to blow in these cars. I learned the hard way burning people at green lights, although itÂ’s tempting. Gas mileage is iffy, cheap to fill, but the mileage is poor. It goes quick. Auto seatbelts broke too. I take care of it as much as I can, but it rusts. I love the car but what can I do?

14 years, going, and going...
By Ivo on 02/28/07 14:51 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got excellent deal on this lease return from Ford dealership, with 45000 miles in 1997. For ten years and 90k I don't think I spent more than $2500 on maintenance and repairs, not more than two of which wouldn't be considered regular wear and tear. Engine still runs smoothly and quietly. I now have to replace the clutch, which I blame mostly on my driving habits (like holding the car still uphill by balancing the clutch, instead of using brakes). I am just reluctant replacing the car, afraid that with a next one, I will pay back for all the good experience I had with this one.

Love this car...sometimes...
By Need 4 Speed on 06/01/06 21:24 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Escort for almost a year now. I love it, except for when things go wrong or when there's people in the car with me. The car is great when you're alone and is reliable (some of the time) - you wont want this car when it has problems, one problem leads to another. All of my problems are because of up keep (bought the car not even thinking about it). It's in the shop as I speak. It's shifting rough and the engine is sputtering. I don't know? I was also driving without a outer tie rod and stabilizer link a few months ago. I've learned if you want an Escort, keep the maintenance up. Spark plugs, fluids, clean fuel, etc. This is why my car has everything wrong with it; otherwise good car

Reliable old Ford
By deec on 04/05/06 09:53 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

My Ford Escort is 12 years old and still running great. It had only had 2 problems before it hit the ten year mark: the alternator and the fan. The fan was covered under warranty, and the alternator cost less than $200 to fix. Now, it needs things fixed regularly, but the repairs are still fairly inexpensive. This car is the best purchase I've ever made - cheap and dependable. Also, it's a manual, so it has some acceleration. It handles well and is fun to drive. For many years, it got 40 mpg on the highway, but now it's down to 35. This is the Energizer Bunny of cars.

It has been a great little car
By Scott R on 01/28/06 17:17 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

200,400 miles and 11 years! I changed oil every 3,000 miles, waxed twice per year and use Chevron Supreme. Dash lights have not worked for about 5 years, but it still runs and rides great. 3 sets of tires, 2 brake jobs and 2 timing belts. With that, I could not of done better with any other car manufacturer. It will be a sad day when I trade it in ... I mean 11 years!