2000 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Hated it!
By happygopink on 12/19/11 20:45 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour in July of 2001, it was a year old at the time. It was okay for the first few years, but just okay. Then, before I even finished paying it off, I had to have the transmission rebuilt. Then, in December of 2011, it went out AGAIN. The thing had 91,000 miles on it. It shouldn't need a new transmission every 45,000 miles, if you ask me.

Chose some thing else
By dm18 on 10/12/11 18:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, it lasted 11 years. Fuel pump failed in weeks2. Second month, a small piece of debris smack the oil pan cracking the oil pan. (both common problems reported for this car at the time in user forums) year 1, the dash board pilled up in the summer heat. (another common issue) Year 6, the electric motors for the sun roof, left front door, right front door died and had to be replaced. Year 8, the padding in the seats became stiff. Dash board pilled again. year 11, 51,000 miles engine died 3,500 dollars repair.

Too many problems
By BradB on 03/03/09 19:22 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

I bought my SE Sport new in 2000. Performance-wise, it was a fun car: great handling, a reasonably powerful engine, excellent brakes and steering, good 5-spd. I could drive this car fast and whip it around corners with ease. For $15K, it was probably the best handling four door around at the time. However, the car had way too many quality problems: brake hoses cutting themselves, the A/C failing multiple times, strange sounds from the engine, the dashboard warping. I got tired of it-- basically every year I knew something was going to go wrong. This car had a lot of promise but Ford cut too many corners for me to recommend it.

2000 Ford Contour Sport
By GB on 12/24/07 05:08 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has incredible performance for the price. It's fast and handles great and is comfortable inside. Most fun car I've had since an 86 Mustang SVO. Drove it on a 2000 mile trip and it got 28 MPG as well. I'm surprised there is not more of an enthusisasts aftermarket for these.

A Good Bargain - It's a Trooper
By HW on 11/14/07 20:25 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

No huge problems with it. Looks like it will hit 200K in great shape! Worst was the cat converter needed replaced at 80K. New breaks at 90K. The car now has 120K and is fine (still 31mpg). Good deal if you figure under 2K for 8 years. I missed the dash recall and mine warped, but I glued it back down with industrial cement. Also I've been in two accidents with it (lost the front bumper, then the rear). The other cars in both accidents were totaled. Mine had very minimal "face" damage. The car seems pretty bombproof to me.

Just OK
By copychief on 02/28/07 08:32 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

We put very light miles on this car, and for that it's OK, but nothing more. It's uninspiring and feels like driving a tank, with a turning radius wider than the Titanic. The good acceleration comes at such a high MPG cost that it's not worth it. The interior feels incredibly cheap, even for a seven year-old $16,000 car. The blower fan is so loud you can't hear people in the back seat if it's higher than "2" ... and that's added to a lot of road & wind noise on the highway. Thankfully we have had no major problems with the car, but it's the niggling things, cheap interior and design quirks that will keep us away from any Ford product when we replace this car.

This has been a solidly reliable car
By Dave on 01/30/07 20:05 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This car has required only 2 minor repairs in 76,000 miles. We drive it daily and have taken a number of long trips with it. It handles well. It is a great size for driving in traffic and the visibility is good all around. It's not over-powered, but there are slower cars out there for the price. Too bad they stopped making this car --- I would buy another one.

A Ford so good I just bought a Toyota.
By JimP on 01/13/06 21:04 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

Having evolved from a European design the Contour has better handling than other American cars its size. Unfortunately they cheapened the quality for the US market. The car has been a major disappointment. The dash top curled up like cardboard. The gas mileage is terrible, never more than 21-22. The plastic gas tank warped and burned out the pump (repair cost $968). The speakers are the cheapest junk I ever saw. It's impossible to remove the oil filter without spilling oil on exhaust manifold. Rear drum brakes don't adjust reliably. Ford took what was an excellent car and turned it into another typical piece of American junk. Never again.

Still Going Strong
By ALS on 02/05/05 12:41 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This is an update of the review I wrote back in 2003. Since then I put another 50K on it and would expect to be close to 200K by year end. I'm talking HARD miles - over road, country roads, sub zero weather, construction sites, any abuse you can imagine. Only expense since last review - tires, brakes & oil changes. Now, as would expect of a car at this price level, with the service it's seen, It's virtually falling apart as I drive it (door handles, interior, power windows, trunk latch). But... It still gets up and goes every day, and I'm not afraid to go anywhere with it.

A good second car
By DaveM on 01/31/05 17:48 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Contour SE Sport 4dr Sedan

This car is one of the few I've owned that I considered worth holding on to as a second car. By far the best value on the market for a V6 with manual, it gets > 30 mpg overall. It's still a pleasure to drive and has had no major problems - except, strangely enough, it needed a new fuel pump at 60K miles - same as reported by several other users. The after-market moonroof and optional CD/AM/FM system were worth getting.