1996 Ford Contour - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
124,000 miles/4cyc.
By jbarker46 on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Only repairs have been wiring harness, coil, o2 sensors and R front power window motor replacement.

Why the Ford Contour is best for me...
By Caroline Tapley on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The Ford Contour had 40,000 miles on it when i purchased it. I have 3 kids, and they also loved our car. We do much running around because of the fact i am a mother of 3. All of them are in to sports. All three of them have practice on weekends and after school. So many miles have been put to the car. And is Still running just as strong and looks great and sounds great.

Couldn't be happier with this car!
By bockman on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

This car is excellent for students like myself. It offers decent fuel mileage, good comfort, performance and safety. I bought mine in August '01 and it had 194 ks. The first time I drove in it, I couldn't believe how peppy the 4 cylinder can be and how quiet it remains. I also love the smoothness of the 4 speed automatic transmission. It's main appeal is it's handling. (Couldn't ask for better)

Life of a V6 Automatic
By Ryan M. on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

The ride comfort is the best part. I work 63 miles away from home and when I get out of the car after the trip I feel like I've been sitting on a couch for an hour and a half. Ford mechanics are poor on the V6 design. Oil changes will leave your exhaust covered in oil, the catalytics plug up after 40k miles, the waterpump uses a plastic propeller that breaks after 30k miles, the rotors warp easily, the plastic components including door handles (inside and out) came loose at 75k, other little things like a melted alternator, wires shorting out, wheel bearings, automatic transmission take away a lot of V6 power.

Ok car - has a lot of little problems
By RELLA on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I got my contour back in 98, it had 30,000 miles on it. Within the first month I had to take it in for the recall on the heat blower switch. Then I had to have new rotors put on it a couple months after that. It seemed to run good for a while. Now the latest is that I have no dash lights, the right hand blinker doesn't work, the heater switch doesn't work again and it runs loud. But it is pretty reliable as I haven't had any major things go on it.

I got a good one
By CaliSE on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Contour SE MTX w/80,000 mi. The car has been great fun, I have been pleased with the reliability. The car has had 5 dealer visits in 6 years wor recalls or non-warranty repairs. It gets 27 mpg on the highway. I found the OEM Firestone Firehawks sub-standard in every possible way and replaced them with Dunlop SP4000s and have been very happy.

No problems
By StillLikeMyCar on 03/13/02 21:32 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Ford Contour GL (4 door) brand new at the end of 1995. It is a 1996 model. Today I have over 87,000 miles on it and have been very pleased with the performance and overall quality of the car. It handles well, has plenty of get up and go, and I have had relatively few problems with it. The worst thing I've had fixed were worn rotors and a gas tank cover that continues to have difficulty opening. Other than that, I have been very pleased and would recommend it to someone who is looking to by a used car. We are now looking for a new car simply because my husband wrecked his, but we will be keeping the Contour in the family for several more years I'm sure.

Overall Value
By Pmac on 03/07/02 11:12 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

My Contour has treated me well. The heater switch failure was recalled and the cupholder was redesigned (97) to not spill on your passenger when taking left hand turns. After 96, Ford made 15" wheels standard for a smoother ride and eventually the 6 cylinder was standard. Why Ford discontiues a car if all the bugs are worked out, I don't know. Maybe the Engineers are bored have to "Focus" on some other problem. My Contour still handles and runs well at 92000 miles.