1996 Ford Contour Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Contour model:
Don't buy this junk.
By Brian on 05/01/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has been a nothing but trouble. Every problem requires a trip to the mechanic because the car is designed so you can't fix anything without special tools and disassembly of the entire engine. The water pump is a constant problem having to be replaced twice as well as the timing belt. Engine is continually running hot because of poorly designed coolant system. Doors creak terribly when opened. The car has terrible fuel mileage compared to its small engine and pathetic amount of power. The only plus to this car is the availability of used parts. You can find several of these cars at almost any junk yard. That is where mine is headed shortly.

1996 Ford Contour 4 dr SE
By JB on 11/07/08 11:09 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for almost 10 years now and I really love how it drives. Great styling, power and pretty good mpg. But the build quality and reliability are no so good. I've replace the catalytic converter, rear strut, brakes 3 times (not too bad), 3 tune ups, radiator, water pump, and now the brakes are going again, clutch is going and there is a small oil leak. The car is worth less than a 1000 bucks so I'm sending it to it's grave. 145,000 it's bad for a Ford but there are a lot of fixes

Gets Better with Age
By Annelise on 01/03/08 04:11 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My Contour hit 200,000 miles last night! I've got the V6 5-speed. Though I had problems with it early on--water pumps, numerous recalls and that darn engine light that won't go off--it's been great for the last 120,000 miles. I love the way it handles and it still has plenty of power. I'm curious to see how long it will last!

A nice looker & driver / keeps you broke
By Larry James on 03/09/06 11:31 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Car purchased by my wife with 35k miles, she puts 34 miles a day to work and home. Within the first year tires were shot, alignment bad, replaced ball joints, the large belt. Then at 50k to 60k miles front wheel bearings, Brake rotors, calipers. since then alternator, large belt. Now at 120k the front wheel bearings and brake rotors (warped) and now head gasket!

Ford's cost-cutting shows
By Verbal on 02/24/06 22:25 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car slightly used, based on favorable reviews in the car magazines. It is a sporty sedan that packs a lot of value for the money. The engine, suspension and brakes are well-suited for the enthusiast driver. However, this is the most fragile car I have ever owned. With less than 75k on the odometer, I have had to replace the water pump (a flawed design with a plastic impeller wheel), the catalyst, and the starter motor. The check engine light turning on is a quarterly event. The stock CD player would skip if you looked at it cross-eyed. Owning this car makes me believe that when Ford lines up suppliers, it always takes the low bidder. Ford: you have lost this customer.

Mary's review
By Mary dore on 08/27/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car fails to meet normal wear and tear, it starts at about 5 years old. First the engine check light come on and no can fix, except for 250 dollars, then they can turn it off. Next, continual problems with the wheel, axles, bearing, alternator assembly; replaced alternator, water heater, timing chain, and last but not least the transmission is shot -- every time I turned something was wrong with this vehicle. What a piece of junk, I will never buy anything again that says Ford or Mazda since my car has a Mazda transmission in it. Need to have over head light in the middle of the car you can't see in the back seat when it's dark.

Great Car
By robertn78 on 02/03/05 05:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is very fun to drive. It handles great and has a lot of power with a small 2.5L V6. I have a SE model which in my opinion looks better and it handles better due to different sway bars and shock valving. No problems with this car, just regular maintenance.

Please with Contour
By Solomons-Isle on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Very pleased with car. Bought it nes off the lot. Car has been very realiable and is fun to drive.

What a great car... even after seven yrs
By Jackcarteryahoo on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Very comfortable car packed full of options. Even after 100,000 miles, the car has plenty of power and acceleration. I've taken great care of the car and it still looks and drives like new. I would highly a Countour SE if it has been taken care of.

ford contour
By mia thyberg on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Contour Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

New Car Purchase-did not work by time home(engine problem) . Shortly after -sunroof did not work. Shortly after that- floormattes let off a fume per floor heat was so hot(Ford said this was normal). Carpet coming up- ford refused to fix, but did fix radio . After 1 year- rubbers to windows flew off. 3 years- bottom leaks water so carpets are all wet in back and trunck (mildew). Ford refused to fix. No customer service after purchase(i.e. beg for a replacement vehicle while yours is being repaired though you pulled off the lot w/ a faulty vehicle)