Used 1997 Ford Aerostar XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Trusty Aerosport
By Lizard

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Ford blew it...Windstar was a joke! Should have kept Aerostar. Cheap to buy (used)/insure/repair. Very good tow vehicle. I owned a '93 prior to this '97...both 4.0 litre, extended, rear wheel drive. My '97 was 1 of last ones ever built (June of '97). Exhaust flex pipes need replacing frequently.

4.0 litre engine is bullet-proof. New for '97, 5 speed auto is good. Quad captain seats comfortable. Fiberglass hood/hatch/running boards, means no rust. Replacement parts are cheap for DIYers. Front suspension only required new tie rod ends. Roof racks are handy. Stereo is nowhere near my Toyota's.

Electrical items (power windows/locks) work in wet, but intermittent in dry. Fabric wears poorly, esp. driver's seat. Gas mileage sucks (literally!). Larger tires & brakes would be better. Spare tires rusts badly in northern climates. Original all season Michelin were awful in snow (4 snows cured it).

Old Reliable
By GoodGame

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

After 8 years and 142,000 miles, this old van is the most reliable and practical vehicle I have ever owned. It's the kind of truck I want to hold on to if I can just find a mechanic I can trust to nurse it along. Fortunately, I haven't had to do much to it so far other than normal wear and tear issues. If you can find one with low miles get it. Chances are it's got a lot of life in it. My engine still does not burn oil between changes and I get 20+ per gallon on the road.

Arthur the Aerostar
By andys

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

This van is a perfect family truxter! A no frills, no nonsense machine that can take the beating that the kids give it on a daily basis and do it without any break downs or suprises. Sad that Ford stopped making them.

Looks more manly than other mini-vans (truck based).

n/a ford does not make it any more. However, I often think of the possibilities if they made a van/pick- up mix like the Ranchero. Bring back the cruck (car/truck)!

No problems
By Lefty

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

Most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. Now have 102,000 mi. No mechanical failures. Just normal maintenance, and even that I've slacked off on. Took the beast on a 4,000 mile road trip with 93,000 on the ticker. Flawless, safe highway driving. Got an amazing 23 mpg on the open road. If you can pick one up with modest miles on it, do it.

Roomy interior. Reliability

Start building them again!

aero great value
By dave skinner

1997 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Minivan

only real problem i had was with burnt out sensors, evrything else was basic maintenance. i used mine for work approx. 40k year. fuel efficent and very dependable.