2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 118 WB Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Sprinter - Consumer Reviews

2006 Sprinter Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sprinter model:

Sort Reviews by

Mixed emotions
By GC

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love my Sprinter, I don't like chancing front brake pads every 28,000 miles. I don't like that I'm on my 3rd $116 transmission pan gasket, I don't like that I just replaced mt A/C compressor, filter dryer and expansion valve at 48,000 miles. I HATE that my roof leaks at the seams and most of the spot welds on the roof are rusting from the inside out! I have put multiple coats of Menzerna FMJ per year expecting it to help seal what I knew was crappy paint when I bought it. This weekend I lost several thousand dollars worth of inventory in my well kept van from a leaky roof. I'm livid! I hate that my hood rusted from the inside under my 3M invisible bra. A cassette deck? Come on! It's 2006!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy! Tire wear is minimal! Very professional looking especially with my Systems Edstrom package inside! Headroom, Headroom, Headroom! Amazing oil life.

Suggested Improvements

Try some real paint, weld the metal on the roof, not just spot welds and crappy sealer. Use a metal transmission pan.

2006 Sprinter-work vehicle
By DBK

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased 2006 Sprinter for Electrical construction business. Dealership explained all the advantages of the vehicle- low maintenance, good mileage,long engine life. Maintenance and reliablitiy are a nightmare. Paint rusted in first year. Brake rotors have very limited life and are expensive to replace. Very few mechanics can work on the vehicle. Vehicle has been towed for blown turbo- resonator, burnt out starter relay wire, and frozen fuel(even with additives). If you have business this is the wrong vehicle for you. Manufacture does not back up many defects.

Favorite Features

Good mileage, Lots of room, handles well

Suggested Improvements

New paint application system, better brake designs( rotors should not need replacing after 30,000 miles)

Very Disipointed
By Disipointed

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I needed a high cube van to haul all my HVAC stuff. I moved from a full size dodge van into the sprinter 2006 158" WB, High roof, plumbers package shelving. I was in heaven. Heaven only lasted a few miles from the dealership, a wheel sensor light came on. I have now replaced the wheel sensor, drive line, a/c line, turbo Plate, front alignment, Bad paint now being repainted, all these under warranty with over 20 days of down time. Not under warranty, transmission @ 60,000 miles is down a $1000 repair bill before I am on the road again. The 20MPG is good, to work from the van is great but the repairs cause me to look for something else. If your smart take sprinter off your wish list.

Great gas mileage, but poor reliability
By John

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Use the van for heating & plumbing service business. Not reliable. Now has 64k miles. Have replaced the right front wheel bearing twice,once at 22k, again at 25k (due to mechanic not tighening spindle nut properly) turbocharger resonator at 40k, transmission failed at 60k, was rebuilt at the dealer, failed again at 64k, is now at the dealer for that repair. The dealer has only one Sprinter qualified tech. Parts are always a long wait. I have it decked out with a bin package. GVWR is 8500lbs, weighed it two weeks ago at 7400lbs. I work in a rural part of Colorado and need to be able to carry a wide assortment of parts and tools. My business is suffering due to breakdowns.

Favorite Features

The ability to stand up inside the van. The size and unique look of the vehicle. Gas mileage, and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Durability expected from a name like Mercedes Benz is not there.

Don't but this vehicle
By steve

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Purchased vehicle brand new. Was not told every 10,000 miles needed oil filter. Fuel filter, air filter total cots runs 275.00 dollars at a dealership. Lack of personal to work on this vehicle is terrible. First 6 months had transmission leak oil leak electrical problem leaky roof and my dome light collected water every time it rained. Also back door hinges pulled out of sheet metal. Business link program is a joke. I will have this vehicle paid off in 6 months and will go back to a Ford diesel. I do not suggest this vehicle for anytime of business due to its constant down time.

Favorite Features

The fuel economy was ok. Not the 25 miles to the gallon i was told at the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

More trained personnel as well as a better made product. Its interior needs major improvement and the cost of maint, should be more affordable.

Great
By Mike

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This van is comfortable, roomy , and gets great mileage, It is fun to drive for myself and family, and good to carry my tools to do work .

Favorite Features

Great van for the family and carry tools for work .

Suggested Improvements

A secondary diesel fuel tank for long trips .

Sprinter: Utility to Leasure plus Economy
By Champ

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 140 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The Sprinter with its IMAX view windshield, up high seating position, great brakes, peppy acceleration, and flat out the most interior space available. You can't beat this vehicle for a general work van or travel companion. Get this! This big van averages 22 MPG around town with hwy mix. I tow a 3500 pound boat and still got 19.8 on a trip up to the N.GA mountains. What a van. If there is a drawback it is that the steering collumn does not telescope or tilt. This is an ergonomic issue that you quickly adapt to. The motor noise is slightly more than my old Chevrolet gas van but still quieter than most diesels. Very quiet outside. Van is goverened to 80MPH.

Favorite Features

2.7L 5 cyl. diesel is a great motor. A shame it is no longer available in 2007 models. Love the IMAX view windshield. Panorama! Mercedes makes a great vehicle. Very thoughtful in every spec of the vehicle design. Usablilty is unsurpassed!

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable steering column. Hope the South Carolina plant can produce the '07 Models as well as they do across the Atlantic.

Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter passenger van
By BP

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Somewhat spartan in ergonomics, the Sprinter is fairly comfortable in a basic way. It does not compare to American made vans (in the same price range) in technology and creature comforts. More advanced features are not even available. It seems the Euro style is stark functionality over luxury. Functionality is key. I appreciate the economy, handling, and spaciousness greatly. This is where this van beats domestics hands down. I consider the Sprinter passenger van to be a "happy medium" between a bare bones cargo van and a decked out domestic family van. I can't comment on the reliability due to it's newness, but the diesel model has been around for years and the turbo gives it a boost.

Favorite Features

Spunk. Visibility. Utility. Interior room. Maneuverability. Fuel economy. Simple ergonomics. Well thought out basic needs

Suggested Improvements

More advanced technology in electric door mechanisms. Available alarm interface. Better air conditioning. More ventilation options (operable windows) More sound system options. More seating options including lighter, less cumbersome, and much more easily removed and replaced rear seating

Long Tall Sally
By Elite

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van High Roof 158 WB 3dr Ext Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This truck is made for the highway. I just got back from a 3000 mile trip and the drive was way better than last year with the Ford van.

Favorite Features

Twice as much room as any other van. Smooth ride. Great on gas. I didn't know a driver seat could have so many adjustments. Great looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

A little more top speed and tilt wheel.

Blue Double Short
By JC MI

2006 Dodge Sprinter Van 118 WB 3dr Van (2.7L 5cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Looked at Mini-vans, SUVs, and Full-sizers. Minivan was ruled out as it could not pull the boat, SUV was hard on gas, and Ford/GM full size was not too good on gas either and drove like slugs and did not handle as nice. The Sprinter drives much smaller than it is, is easy to park, great visibility, handles well, and hauls 8 very comfortably. I tinited the windows and did the M-B grille and badge conversion and it looks great! It is fun to drive and everyone is always checking it out. Draws a small crowd at the truck stop fueling up. Love those high-speed diesel pumps!

Favorite Features

Avg. of 26mpg is great! Lots of room. Heated windshield, heated seats and Aux Heater is awesome in the winter! Seats are comfortable. Great power/acceleration around town. Best cruise control I have ever used. Easy to clean floor!

Suggested Improvements

Tilt steering would be nice (but is comfortable as is), larger parabolic mirror on pass. side, more speakers/better sound system, remove speed limiter (set at 85mph)