Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Ram-pickup-3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 3500 model:

Best of the best
By bugsey829

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had my 04 for 3.5 years now. Have had to replace 3 lights (1-fog, 1 headlight and 1 brake light) and the lift pump. Replaced my Michelins with Bridgestones and am still "paying" for them. Cost me almost 5 mpg. Still get 22+ , but the 28 @ 62 mph was pretty sweet. She loves 75 and 80 , but you better have deep pockets , 17 mpg empty 10.5 pulling fully enclosd car trailer. Bought it when I retired hoping it would easily outlast me. So far so good .

Favorite Features

Raw power, rides like a "caddy" loaded.

Suggested Improvements

Needs much "taller" final drive for us highway dwellers. Gear it for 1650 rpm @ 75 mph.

Brute
By ryan

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 3500 Diesel 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.9L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

First diesel and will never go back to gasoline. Unbelieveable power, will pull anything you can hitch up. A bonus is the fuel mileage, I get 17-19 around town and get 21-22 on interstate when keeping it around 62- 65 mph, around 2000 rpm. Get above that and it drops to around 18 empty. Pulling my trailer with about 3500- 4000 lbs, I get 15 mpg. Much better than my previous gas truck. Ride is a stiff, but what do you expect from a 1 ton truck. It drives well and is responsive for a big truck. Spend extra for the Infinity sound system, it's worth it. Should also consider more agressive tires if going off road any, stock tires are more for street. So far, not a single problem with the truck.

Favorite Features

Infinity sound system, power plus decent fuel mileage, electronic 4X4

Suggested Improvements

Interior a little plain, but I've noticed they've upgraded in the 06 models, they look nice.

Amazing Truck
By snowtime

Have a Ram 3500 HO diesel. In a word the truck is phenomenal. It drives like a 1/2 ton, it's comfortable, reliable, has great looks (I recommend the sport package), and has unbelievable power. I live in snow country and it drives through snow (no matter how deep) like it's not there. I actually pulled 2 (yes, two) trucks out that were both stuck in the snow (an older dodge and a ford), and my 3500 pulled them both out together! As if all of this isn't enough, I average about 14 mpg around town and always get over 20 mpg on the highway (makes you think the fuel gauge is stuck). The Big 3 all make good trucks - but none better than this one.

Favorite Features

Two things: the looks (sport package) and the extreme power with the Cummins HO diesel. OK, three things: the fuel economy. For a truck that weighs so much it gets unbelievable mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Put the 'LED' arrows for turn signals in the mirrors (Ford & Chevy both have them). Make front tow hooks standard for the 1-ton. More choices in interiors (both colors and design) would be nice as well as some new exterior colors.

RAM3500
By TAPPARO

THE TRUCK HAS PERFORMED AS WELL AS ANYONE COULD ASK FOR. THE FUEL ECOMOMY IS GREAT, WHILE STILL HAVING LOTS OF POWER TO PULL MY 33 FOOT FIFTH WHEEL. THIS IS MY SECOND CUMMINS ENGINE, AND WILL NOT BE THE LAST. I AM A FORD GUY USUALLY, BUT THE POWERSTROKE DOES NOTHING FOR ME. IT IS STILL NOISEY, LIKE THE OLD 7.3, AND DON'T SEEM TO PULL AS WELL.

Favorite Features

THE WHOLE TRUCK IS GREAT! I LIKE ALL THE FEATURES THAT IT HAS, SO TO SAY WHICH IS MY FAVORITE, THEY ALL ARE.

Suggested Improvements

THE ONLT IMPROVEMENT THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS THE AVAILABILITY OF BUCKET SEATS WITH A CONSOLE, INSTEAD OF THE FOLD UP MIDDLE CONSOLE.

dependible
By Eugene Dzyuba

great truck does a great job on fuel economy averaging 20 plus miles per gallon and maintence is a big plus oil change every 15000 miles verses competition 3000 miles never gave me any trouble very reliable and power is also very important it has more power than compatition but i wouldn't mind having more power

Favorite Features

I love new cummins diesel especially when it comes to work, I like those new large disc brakes and that its much quiter than erlier models

Suggested Improvements

would like to have larger fuel tank approximately 42 gallons, softer seats, geared slightly higher when you are driving 75 mph that your engine is running 1900 rpm this would increase fuel economy when your going out of town and don't have to stop for fuel as often