Used 2002 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Good Truck
By Maddog

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used and it now has 115,000 miles on the 3.9 V-6. The truck does not use any oil and runs well. The 5 speed manual has nice gear spacing and is easy to use. I average 18-19 around town and 20-22 on the highway. The quad cab is useful and it does what I need it to do. Good truck Dodge!

Favorite Features

Quad Cab, mileage, handling, comfort, good engine access

Suggested Improvements

Brakes could be a bit stronger, A/C could blow a bit harder.

Solid small truck
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck nearly 2 years ago. It has the big V8 and so far have been pleased. Spacious interior for small truck and convenient features. Only complaints are: rough shift into overdrive (worries me it may go out, but has been that way since I bought it and hasn't failed as of yet), and POOR, POOR, POOR fuel economy. This truck averages 13-14 MPG which is terrible for a truck this size. Don't know much about the smaller V8 but should have look into it. I bought this privately and got a great deal. I have recently bought a 22' travel trailer and the Dakota pulls it well. So far it's everhying I wanted, with the exception of the large fuel bills.

Favorite Features

Easy access to front and rear seats with quad cab. Good performance on dry, wet, mud, and snow conditions. Great towing with big V8. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. Fuel economy. Fuel economy. Fuel economy. Transmission, no problems yet but rough shift into overdrive worries me.

Geat Truck
By Bryan

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab SLT 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have the 3.9L v6 with 87k mi on it. No major problem as would be expected for a truck with this much mileage. Only problem is from time to time the evap system triggers the check engine light, a trip to Autozone fixes that. Gas mileage could definitely be better. I drive approx 20 miles a day to work, and bought the truck when I went to school right down the street. Most fun to drive of any other vehicle I've owned. For a truck with this much power it is still easily driven in inclement weather if you know what you are doing, if not you're in trouble quickly. Another bad feature is the the center console was designed for the automatic and they didn't change it for the manual, can get in way

Favorite Features

Comfort: I have never felt more comfortable driving any vehicle. The stick has a very comfortable throw to it. It is longer than my friends vehicles and I would not have it any other way. It seriously feels as if the truck was made for somebody of my size. (6'3", muscular build). Very study build too

Suggested Improvements

Change the center console to accommodate for the manual transmission. I don't like how I have a cup holder I can't use.

Solid Truck
By Dakota

2002 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Overall a very reliable truck. Never had any problems w/ the drivetrain or any major mechanical issues. That said, the brakes are awful and the ball joints are junk - getting them replaced by Dodge, even with a recall, was a real hassle. Fuel economy averaged a disappointing 15mpg, and the 3.9 V6 just does not have enough power to get the heavier quad-cab moving or passing with enough authority. At highway speeds, the ride is smooth for a truck, but very noisy. Had to upgrade sound system just to hear the music. After 50k, it still runs great, but I should've opted for the V8 instead. This has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have owned, but more power is a must for a truck.

Favorite Features

Quad-cab rear door opening angle, Factory Infinity stereo system above average. Roomy interior & full size back seats (not just a plain bench). Intuitive instrument cluster & dash layout - good positioning of switches.

Suggested Improvements

More fuel economy or more power. The V6 has neither. Better sound insulation from road noise.

Great buy
By Tom

2002 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab Sport 2WD SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private owner to replace our 1988 Dakota last November. The '88 got to where it would just die on the road. We've been very pleased with it and it hasn't given us any trouble at all, and it never gave the previous owner any trouble. It rides smooth as silk, seat is very comfortable, drives well, great truck. Plenty of space, though back seat is terrible to ride in. All in all, great buy.

Favorite Features

Storage, bed light, easy and fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

2WD has terrible traction on even a lightly damp road. I pulled out in front of someone yesterday and it started out fine but then the tires spun like nuts once I stepped on it a little more. Also roars loudly in 1st gear when the engine is cold. Transmission is a little jerky.