2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:
Plastic Toy Car!! DON'T BUY!!!
By carman_ on 04/01/14 18:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car, I repeat do not buy this car!! This car is hunk of junk. The out side design and interior are unique and appealing, but don't let that suck you in. You feel every single bump no matter what, and the suspension is horrible. This Car Has Terrible heat, absolutely terrible. If you live in Canada like myself, stay clear. The gas mileage is good as it's 90% hwy driven. The gears shifting are very noticeable, and acceleration is very slow (1.8 L). The sound system is terrible and most LS, and LT's don't even come with rear speakers. Besides the appealing look it, its horrible to drive, It's like driving a plastic toy car! Not worth the $, buy a cobalt, anything, but not this!!

Nothing Exciting
By nick_scott on 02/22/14 15:19 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car because of the price and advertised MPG. Since owning it, we have noticed that the MPG is no where near what it claims to be, as much at 7 MPG less at times. The look of the car is interesting to be kind. The front end is UGLY and the rest is bland. The inside has some nice features such as leather, heated seats, bluetooth, and power everything. However the cabin is very cramped and the driver seat is painful at times. The arm rests are at different heights which can be awkward. Do not expect to be comfortable if you weigh more than 150lbs. Performance of this car is a joke. The non-turbo has no throttle response at all and struggles on even small hills.

Solid Dependable Economy Car-Love it!
By chevysonicfan on 08/11/13 10:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I knew that purchasing The 2012 Chevy Sonic was a bit of a gamble as it was the first model year replacing the Aveo that only survived a two year run,and there weren't any consumer reports. My two prior cars were the Monte Carlo and the Impala; I was tired of getting fleeced at the gas pump with the 6 bangers though. In March I drove all the way from NH to FL and it was a comfortable ride. The car handles very well and has great fuel economy on the highway. It only costs me about $32 to fill up the tank, and I almost made it to PA on a single tank of gas! In retrospect I am happy I took the gamble with My Sonic LT! It is my 9th car and my 6th Chevy; I have never had a problem with a Chevy

Awesome little car!
By sooogud on 02/04/13 10:44 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's an awesome small car that doesn't drive like a small car. I've had it for over 7 months and 10,000 miles and it's been a great experience. The 6-speed manual turbo is a must for this car, though. I test drove the 5-speed auto 1.8L and it doesn't cut it for highway driving. The turbo engine is pretty responsive makes on-ramps and passing a blast. MPG is pretty decent at about 36–40mpg on average, and that's not taking it easy on the accelerator. In cold weather (i.e., 32F or lower), however, mpg drops to about 30–34mpg. Great little car, definite recommendation from my experience.

Great Buy!
By themrchen on 12/20/12 09:42 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

bought this car for my daughter, I was enjoying my new camaro and noticed what a sharp looking vehicle this was, she needed a new car and we got a good deal, about 14k. car gets over 35 mpg highway and 30 mpg in town mixed communting, never misses a beat. handling was funny when new, car came with 46 pounds of air in tires, tail would wag on hwy, reduced pressure and broke tires in and handling is perfect. what more could you ask from this 14k$ car? its fantastic

disappointed
By waithair1219 on 11/19/12 09:23 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

i purchased a new 2012 chevy sonic 5 miles my car sways all over the place at highway speeds dealer will not help me and i am talking with gm. i wouldnt recommend this car to anyone .i am so upset over this i am not hte only one with this problem they are posted all over the internet .this car should be recalled. the dealer i purchased the car from will not adress my concerns at all . this is an unsafe vehicle

Great little car for the money
By stoopid3 on 10/05/12 10:20 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Went from a 2007 Civic to the Sonic. Got a good deal on a 2LT ($16,500). Now at 5k miles on the Sonic. Handling is solid, though I've ordered some new tires to get rid of that squishy ride that I attribute to the stock (soft) tires. Gas mileage is on par with the civic (~30 MPG mixed). If I had a lighter foot on the highway I'm sure I'd get the rated 35MPG and then some. Features set can't be beat in the price category. Only the Kia Rio (?) comes close. What Edmunds fails to stress is that dollar for dollar you get much more with the Sonic than any competing vehicle. No brainer.

Great little car
By sonic4 on 09/30/12 15:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I read some of the neg. reviews and i had to post my experience. 2012 LT 1.4 Turbo 6-spd. manual , love the car gets 41.0 avg on highway good trunk space decent seats stereo is lacking a little power but that's just me. The only neg. i have is visibility to the sides and rear, headrests get in the way. currently have 4100 mile's.Added fog lights to it and they fill in reg lights real well . Instrument cluster is good all info right in front where u need it , steering wheel controls very handy.would buy it again .Turbo & 6-spd. manual are key to this car.

Poor fuel economy
By newsonicowner on 09/06/12 10:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

While Edmunds reviews of the 2012 Sonic sedan state an estimated 26 MPG for city driving, my experience is only 20 MPG with my new Sonic. Huge difference. I would have never purchased the vehicle had I known it would perform so poorly. I depended on Edmonds for accurate data as I shopped for a new car. I am extremely disapointed in both Edmunds and the Sonic.

2012 chevy sonic lt i love my car
By joes02 on 08/28/12 20:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car sense may 2012 I wanted a new escape but I went to ford to look at them and for a used 09 escape they wanted 25,000 i said no way. Went to Chevy and looked around they where nice and very helpful I looked and looked at the sonic until i found the one I Loved Test drove it and went back to buy it, They made sure i could really afford the car because Im 19 buying a car WITHOUT CO SIGNER and going to college. I knew I could and may I say Im glad I got my Sonic I love it I had a 95 nissan that I loved but I wanted a New car so I got what I wanted. It gets 26 mpg and Im happy with it i wish was more because of the STUPID gas prices but not complaining. Love this car!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan in VA is:

$151 per month*