1999 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Bullet-proof engine and tranny, but....
By hamhock on 11/15/11 06:07 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've owned this truck for 8+ years and am generally happy with it. I replaced the alternator in 2006, but the biggest problem has been the fuel pumps. As of 2011, the truck is on its 3rd fuel pump. Local mechanic says Chevy/GMC fuel pumps burn out every 5 years or so, and as the fuel tank needs to be dropped (or bed removed), it is a very expensive ($700-$1200) repair due to labor costs. Recently, an exhaust manifold bolt failed due to corrosion, but it was a quick and easy fix. Overall, this truck is pretty solid. It's old, but the engine, clutch and transmission have been trouble-free. It would cost too much to replace, so a few hundred bucks a year sure beats a monthly car payment.

The Mule
By The Mule on 08/31/10 19:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Fairly well buit truck although I like Ford. Everything with this truck is well build and fairly easy to take care of and operate.Also the v6 vortec. Easy to control larger 2-3 horse, horse trailers.

Favorite truck
By uncle dave on 06/08/10 16:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought with 89k miles on it. Now pushing 128. Only problems other than general maint. were universal joint at 110k and tps at 127k.Have had more people comment on this truck than my BMW.With 4 cyl. it's no hot rod, but it gets me to work every day without fail and averages 21-22 mpg around town. Will drive it till it dies or I do.

4th S-10
By Dale on 06/04/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Great truck, no complaints, no break downs, this truck had over 270,000 highway miles and nothing other than tires, brakes shoes, and fluids replaced. sporty look, and great color code for 99.

Little truck that could
By Ridinforever on 05/29/10 19:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have abused this truck with off-roading, burnouts and aggressive street use, hauling up to 1700 lbs and towing 5000 lb trailers. I have 165k and stills runs the same as when I got it. I only changed out the seats cause those were the worst things that came with the truck. I am glad I bought this truck.

Will Never Get Another Chevy
By Michael on 12/13/09 00:24 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

My favorite thing about this truck was selling it! It was a "nice" looking truck, but every time I took it in for a relatively simple thing, several other problems would always emerge. Truck was always well taken care of. At 80000, I had to replace the starter. The seat lever handles had broken off (common), and the center console was smashed in. At about 90,000 miles, I had to take it in to get the transmission rebuilt. At 100,000 miles, it needed new a new idler arm on the drivers side and a set of new shocks. At 110,000, had to replace rear shocks again, replace cross link, and valve cover. The truck got poor mileage and was totally GUTLESS! Low horsepower. Happy to sell is last week!!

No regrets, but one...
By hishiad on 06/13/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I got this truck basically as a gift since I had been driving the cheapest thing we could fine when I start back on my associates degree. My parents were kind enough to pay for the truck (no complaints there!). Anyway I've had the truck over a year now and drove it daily. A few complaints I've had could be the reliability or the fact the previous owner didn't take too well care of the truck. First the seats I absolutely hate the adjustable handles are flimsy (both have been broken off completely!) and the material has ripped easily as well. It's the 4.3 vor-tec so it'll fly. I've no problem with how it drives, other than issues with break downs.

2 cents worth
By BriD on 03/15/07 19:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Regular Cab SB

Five yrs owned, have been super pleased with reliability and comfort. Well over 100k now and only cat cvtr. and TPS sensor replaced. Gets 19/26 real-world mpg. 4cyl gets you up to speed if you rev it high enough. Would definitely look for V6 if you plan any hauling or commute using freeways. Ride is rough with ZQ8 suspension and doesn't really give you above and beyond cornering abilities. Softer shocks help if you don't mind the more freqent bottom outs. Cabin:spacious. I'm well over 6ft/200# with plenty of headroom and side room. Ergonomics good. Minor knock: spark plug wires a headache to change. Overall:Unique look, sharp but basic truck with outside speedy look.

Love this truck!
By Budget Tuners on 12/26/06 23:12 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a truck I have wanted for a while now and I finally got it back in Aug of '06. I got a '99 with the 2.2 5speed and I love it. I put an intake and exhaust. Sounds great, runs great. Power for the mods I have on it aren't bad. Looking to get more out of it soon but all and all a great truck to customize. A lot of parts that change out and soon I'm going to lower it a bit and put rims and tires on it. Love this truck. Best truck I have had

Glad I have another truck that runs
By j willey on 08/31/06 18:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

With less than 100,000 miles and already on its second motor and needing a transmission, I am very dissapointed with the quality of this truck. The mechanicals are poor, the ride is not bad, the interior falls apart and has more rattles than a box of nails. I am afraid to put the windows down after having them work going down every time but a guessing game when going back up.