2005 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
Reliable car
By el68lie on 07/17/14 10:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Equinox new in 2005. Have owned it for almost 10 years. We have pretty low mileage on the car; just over 60,000 miles, but we have had minimal problems with this vehicle. Had a head gasket early on, but other than that it has been just maintenance. Change the tires, change the oil every 3,000. One tune up. I am not a fan of the drive train set up. The wheel base is set back so the car does not turn tightly at all. Don't care for the set up of the console between the front seats. Everything falls down along the seats and you can't get you hand down there easily. Not a good design. Don't like the cup holders. Cheap. Otherwise, good reliable car.

need help, ac problems
By cindysue2 on 05/26/14 14:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

The ac on my 2005 equinox not working right. You turn the ac on and it doesn't get cold. I had it checked and was told it needed a new ac compressor, so I had a new one put on. Still didn't fix it. We discovered the fans weren't turning on to push the cold air out. I bought a pressure switch, put that on, they come on now but still not pushing cold out. It's like they are not turning fast enough. No one knows what to do with it. I'm tired of spending money & it not getting fixed. Anyone have any ideas?

Wiring harness issues
By jngavin on 04/10/14 15:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I recently have been having issues with the windows not working. Or working intermittently. Also have a buzzing in the radio. I did a google search and discovered a few comments pertaining to the wiring harness between the door and the body. The harness in this area is prone to breaking. I figured what the heck. I removed the rubber boot and to my surprise I found 5 wires broken. I wish now that I hadn't spent the money on a new window motor. I'm now trying to find a way to get in there and repair the wires. I'm a bit afraid to look at the other 3 doors. If this has been a longtime issues with design, it should've been fixed while it was still under warranty. We bought it brand new.

NIGHTMARE!!
By moonwi11ow on 04/03/14 10:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Equinox used, 99k on it had a thirty day warranty, got it on June 4, broke down on July 4. Head Gasket. Cost me $2100.00 Electrical issues...This vehicle is a nightmare. I have always been a chevy girl, but I think next go round I'm buying a FORD.

05 Equinox
By bconner4 on 08/23/13 16:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

So...I bought my 2005 equinox in 2011, and since then I have had to replace...fuel pump, shocks, struts, radio, antenna, starter, and now the computer!!! This is outside of tires, brakes, rooters, and calipers...Also the 15 mpg city sucks, especially when newer Suburbans get 20 city. I will never buy another one ever again.

If You Like Spending Money This Is The SUV For You!!!!
By marthe_rn23 on 03/13/13 23:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I Purchased My 05 Equinox In May of 2012 With 90k "Father's Day Gift" To Self, Some Gift!!! Since I've Had It Nothing But Trouble, A Week After Purchase I Had Engine Misfire (Tune Up) Which Had Just Been Done At Purchase, Got It Repaired, The Dealer Said The Spark Plugs Had Melted HOW???? Since I've Had To Replace Water Pump, Belt And Pully, Thermostat, Air Bag Sensor, CD Player, Both Front Entire Strut Sets, Muffler And Now At 105k The HEAD GASKETS, Not Just The Gaskets Tho, Both Entire Heads As Well Along With New Plugs And Wires And All New Filters... This Thing Is A Money Pit And It's Driving Me Right Into The Poor House... It's A Beautiful Car For Sure BUT STAY AWAY I Call Her EVE!!!

Brake Issues
By chevy_lady on 02/19/13 11:21 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2005 chevy equinox and havent had any troubles other than the ABS light and TC light coming on and staying on. My brakes now pump against me when i am trying to stop and also I have to give it gas to help it start up. The ABS sensor has to be replaced.

Please help me!
By elizabeth3578 on 09/05/12 10:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car in april 2012. its an '05 chevy equinox. ive had it for 5 months now and it has been in the shop 5 times. The first time was the day after i got it for an alignment. The second time was because my brakes would fail, not stop and vibrate/jerk. I would have to push really hard on the brake to actually stop. the abs light would come on and my traction control would turn off. the car would be out of control and not stop. I took it to one of DT's shops and they supposeably fixed it. not even a week later, the brakes wouldnt work and the abs light/traction control light came on. i took it back to the shop and this time the people at the shop were jerks. said nothing was wrong and to basically drive until i crash it or dont drive at all. left the shop drove approximately 2 miles the abs light/traction control light came on. took it right back. they said oh there is a problem. they replaced the abs sensor. got it back a week later and they said it was fixed. once again right when it got out it drove fine but not even a week later the brakes would not work. i got fed up with DT that i went a month without doing anything. the car was getting so bad that i took it to a different shop. they replaced the abs sensor again. got it back still the same problem. took it back they changed the driver side hub assembly. got it out was okay then week later back in the shop. this time it was the brake module sensor or something like that. got it back about three weeks ago and still having the same problem but its worse now. i cant tell you how many times ive almost been in a accident its ridiculous. what can i do? can anyone help me figure out how to get rid of this car?

my equinox
By min8828 on 07/04/12 05:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

i really happy with my equinox is 2005 and I bougth it in FL with 30.000 m , the only problem i m having is the i need to hit the gas pedal to start the engine , i have 129.000 miles now . its good suv .

DON'T DO IT!!!!
By jones1124 on 05/18/12 23:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This was the worst car I have ever owned. After 68k my serpentine went, the gas mileage was awful, the all-wheel drive in the snow was garbage,and I went through six headlights. Now, my car was paid free and clear after approx 2 1/2 yrs of ownership, but I still traded in for an '09 Honda Civic,and I could not be happier so far!! Bottom line is stay away from this vehicle. The Equinox, and my previous Chevy, have made me swear off American originated cars period