Got me where I needed to go
By densachan on
1996 Buick Skylark Custom 4dr Sedan
This was basically my first car and I planned to use it until my credit was better established and suitable for a newer, smaller car. The car did just that and held out for the time I needed it to. It made for a smooth ride, good braking system and had powerful acceleration. The troubles started at the very end and were all contributed to the coolant system. The water pump and radiator needed replacement which cost 500+. Soon after, they found a leak in a component behind the heat shield which I needed up fixing with a leak seal. I am just glad that the car got me where I needed to go until I was in a position to buy another car.
Favorite Features
The gas mileage was good for an old car. I would fill it up and wouldn't have to do so again for another 2-3 weeks. My mom has a newer Buick and these cars are pretty sturdy and reliable. When I did trade it in, I received more than the KBB value!
Suggested Improvements
It needed better materials. Since the car wasn't driven much by the previous owner, the underbelly and coolant system rusted pretty badly. I had to reclamp the muffler to the bottom of the car because the original clamp rusted and fell right off when I hit a small pothole. The holes in the water pump and radiator were due to the same thing. Just be sure to check for rust when you inspect this car.