2014 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2014 Acura MDX SUV

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

2014 MDX
By chris441

2014 Acura MDX SUV SH-AWD w/Technology and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I would steer clear of this redesigned MDX. I looked at a few different Suv's before purchasing my "New "MDX". Was thrilled to have my first ACURA. What a rattle trap it has become. Noises from the front to back. Engine has strange noises. Interior trim coming loose. Made an appointment with the purchasing dealer only to have them tell me it needed tires.(21,000 miles) and alignment. Could not find the noises. Said if I came back and purchased a set of new tires $1300.00 they would look at it some more. Talked to Acura about this and they said it was a dealer issue and I would have to take care of it by working it out with the dealer. What happened to my warranty?? No more Acura's for me!

Last Honda I will ever buy
By Sung Lee

2014 Acura MDX SUV SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Stay away from this year's MDX From 00 Civic si, S2000, TSX, Prelude, and finally this MDX. One of the worst reliability that I have ever faced for a new car. Okay so my car has about 56k miles and now warranty is over. During its journey,it had couple of problems:Seesaw noise on engine bay, Squeeky steering wheel, two recalls (seatbelt and driveshaft), rear seatbelt rattle and now lane departure warning, front collision warning and transmission warning.... I knew that the old Honda/Acura had crappy transmission but didn't know it carried onto new models. Usually first year model is buggy but I think this has to be most annoying new car that I have ever bought (I owned about 15 cars so far)

Favorite Features

nice and roomy, quiet, very sedan like driving

Suggested Improvements

Acura really needs to fix their mechanical problems. And why so many fluid changes? from transmission fluid, differential fluid, fluid again and again. Looks like I am spending more money on "preventative" maintenance on new car compare to my BMW or my Subaru.

Really wanted it to be good. But it's not
By Ted Leo

2014 Acura MDX SUV SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Got the 2014 version brand new after being a previous Acura owner. Actual engine and driving part is excellent. Powerful engine and good handling but it is loud and the rest is lacking. Computer service lights never stop. The only time I ever actually enjoy the console is the week after I take it for service and get hit for $300 bucks. The other 90% of the time the tire pressure and service lights are constantly on. It reminds me of my printer that never works because it's constantly trying to make you buy new toner instead of just working. Last week and the service tech implied the reason for all the service needed is because the car is almost 2 yrs old. C'mon, it barely has 1200 miles.

Favorite Features

Good engine, Tight handling for a SUV. rear view backup mirror is nice

Suggested Improvements

Driver console design needs much better layout. Computer alerting system needs to be adjusted so error lights are not constantly on. Bad (and I mean bad) blind spots when driving compared to my other vehicles.

TOO MANY DEFECTS IN 1ST YEAR
By rmc71

2014 Acura MDX SUV Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

14k miles on AWD Tech pkg. Have had in shop a total of 26 days. Brake warning comes on with no traffic in front (Acura says to just turn it off !!). Has occurred when at stoplight, door chime doesn't work, steering column had to be replaced. Now waiting for new electrical module to see if it will solve issues. Navigation system not user friendly when trying to set up. Way too many defects for a $50k car. This car has fallen into lemon territory and will be hard-pressed to get another one.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, interior materials, cargo space handles 4 golf bags with room to spare, LDW option, side warning system for lane changes very good, sound system great, plenty rear seat room, one of few SUV's someone over 6'3" can get into, heated seats in winter nice luxury.

Suggested Improvements

Improve brake warning system so not so sensitive to guardrails and fictitious traffic conditions. Acura admits they have reports of this, but don't have a fix except to have you turn off system - not a good idea. Improve Nav system so easier to set up. Way too complicated and time consuming. Hi beam headlights do not light up road enough as angle too low. Need to redesign so you can see better. If you look at an MDX, take a ride at night and be sure they meet your expectations.

2014 Acura MDX
By skypilotair21

2014 Acura MDX SUV SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicleis very nice and sharp, although you would think that Acura could have install fog lights as a standard equipment. The vehicle has everything you need and it's very comptible.

Favorite Features

The dash board is cool and its very nice interiors.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights