2021 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

$38,950

Save as much as $5,551
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great Value Sedan

KW, 11/28/2020
T8 Polestar Engineered 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I decided to right this review to help other. I always read the reviews and decided to write one. I just got my 2021 S60 T-8 Hybrid in Pebble Grey with black interior. There are only two things that I can find fault with the car. The first is that there is no ventilated seat option. The second is that I hate the FOB. The FOB is big and the buttons are on the side instead of the front like most manufacturer's FOBs. However, I knew this because I just got my wife a 2021 XC-40 T5 R-Design a few weeks ago. The car is one of the best value sedans if not the best value out there. Compared to an Audi A6, the Volvo S 60 T-8 is very similar and in some ways superior (have had many Audis). If you drive both cars to the limits, the Audi A6 would be slightly better. However, how many time do Audi A6 owners drive their cars to the limit? The T-8 is faster than the Audi and it has much more comfortable seats. In the interior department, both cars are equal. In the looks department (very subjective), both cars are great looking. In the technology department, the T-8 is superior to the Audi. While the Volvo's large touch screen infotainment can be distracting to operate while driving, there is minimal interaction needed once you do the car's initial setup to your preferences. My T-8 has the Bowers & Wilkins option, which provides a better sound experience to Audi's Bang & Olufsen system (which is also a very nice audio system). Granted it is a $3,200 option over the base Harman Kardon (which is also a great system). The car I wanted had the upgraded Bowers & Wilkins option and it did not amount to too much of a difference in the monthly payment (at least not for me). Would I pay the full $3,200 for the option if I was buying the car? No, the base Harman Kardon is a nice system. These days, I do not put many miles (less than 5K per year) in my cars and that is why I decided not to keep making high monthly payments in Porsches. In addition, I wanted to try a hybrid. I can do all my daily driving on the T-8's 25 mile full electric limit and there are free plugins where I live. The car handles great and it is very practical. One more thing, don't be fooled by the Volvo name. The T-8 is very quick 0-60 when driven in the Polestar mode (an option worth the $1,200 price and can be dealer installed since it is a software upgrade). Great sleeper car to beat Audis, Mercedes and BMWs. I hope this helps your buying or leasing decision.

Unreliability Defined

Ender Wiggin, 12/22/2020
T6 Inscription 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

This review is describing the experience with 2021 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Inscription, having last for VIN digits 3850. The car was ordered in June of 2020 and delivered to the dealer from factory on 10/23/2020. It was equipped with all available options, including Polestar software, with out-of-door price of $57,450. The car was received from the dealer (Volvo Cars Mission Viejo) on 10/29/20, approximately 90 miles away from my residence – no San Diego dealer was actually willing to order the car using preconfigured specifications from Volvo website. The car failed at mile 28 away from the dealership – the odometer was at 34 miles. The first indication was that “signals are at fault”, immobilizing the left turn signaling. When the dealer was contacted the same afternoon, we were told that the car needs to be towed in (from 90 miles away), since one should not drive without operational signals. We never heard from them again. That was just the beginning of the S60 experience. During the next few days, we tried to contact Volvo directly, who advised us “that it is now dealership problem”. Not receiving any response from Volvo Cars Mission Viejo, we tried to schedule local (San Diego) service. We were put thru gauntlet, being berated by “why did you not buy the car from us” and “it serves you well since you did not buy the car here”. Finally, the car was taken to San Diego Volvo, by scheduling the appointment and the car loaner. The “customer adviser” did not show up at scheduled time; we were told to “wait until someone shows up”, since “he owns the appointment”. Hours later, he did show up and informed us that there is “no car loaner” – in spite of guarantee that one would wait for us. Having no choice, we left the car with the dealership overnight. The next morning, I was informed that the car is “repaired” – the claim was that the entire left-side electronic module (responsible for 360 camera and signaling) was faulty and was replaced. Attempting to collect the car the next day, we were presented with the same fault (no signal, no 360 degree camera) and were sent back on our way (sans car), forced to leave the car over the weekend. The next week, we were summoned again to collect the car. This time around, the car functioned for 3 (three) full days, resuming the same fault. It then escalated: it refused to start, at random intervals. We are now stuck with a brand-new vehicle (less than 500 miles on the odometer) and no recourse other than to hire an attorney. As far as buying this car – please pass. While it looks good on paper (which is why we bought it), it is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had – including the garage queen Audi Q5. When it does drive, it is inferior to A4 and much, much worse than any Lexus sedan we owned (LS and GS). Any comparison with BMW 3 series (presumed competition) is just laughable – its handling is boat-like for anyone accustomed to BMW precision and stiff chassis. However, much, much worse than the vehicle is actual Volvo customer “support” – it turns out that there is no such thing in existence.

Best combination of sports, luxury and technology

Canadian Silver Fox, 02/26/2021
T6 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD w/Prod. End 11/20 (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

This is my third Volvo (a 1980 242GT and 2012 S60 T6 R-Design) and my wife is on her fourth. I grew up driving Volvos in Canada as my Dad had a P1800 and as a teen and in my early 20's I drove my Mom's 544 and P130 Amazon. I took delivery of my 2021 T6 R-Design S60 in Pebble Grey Metallic with Slate interior 3 months ago. This car is absolutely loaded with every available option including the Bowers & Wilkins audio system and the Polestar Engineered software upgrade and I couldn't be happier. I am in my late 60's but raced motorcycles and was an amatuer ski racer when I was young so I prefer a car that goes and handles yet is comfortable and has all the tech toys and this Volvo delivers. I have had an Audi S4 that was faster and louder as well as a Lincoln MKZ with a twin turbo 400 hp V6 that was faster too. I considered several comparable BMWs, Mercedes-Benz and Genesis cars but felt the Volvo would be the best combination of doing everything well and I haven't been disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised by the increased performance the Polestar option gives the car, with an increase to 330 hp and torque to 325 as well as a nice little rumble from the exhaust. I live in Western NY and usually drive several weekends a month to Canada to visit family as well as a trip to FL in the spring. Because of COVID-19 that isn't happening just yet but can't wait for some long trips as that's when the Volvo really shines. Pros include the gorgeous looks of the car both inside and out, the Bowers & Wilkins sound system is absolutely the best I have heard in a car, overall sporty handling, comfort and the standard level of security you get from a Volvo. The touchscreen system may be a little different at first but you get onto it very quickly and it is actually very intuitive. A couple of minor cons; at this level I would like to see approach lighting and a power tailgate (which I believe is available on other models as it's on my wife's XC60.) All in all, I absolutely love this car. I am glad that Geely hasn't messed with what a Volvo has been famous for and I think they have hit the ball out of the park with this one. If you are in the market for a great sports luxury sedan and want something you won't see at every stoplight, it deserves a look.

Ad
Build Your S60
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 10 Trims
  • $36,050starting MSRP

2021 T6 AWD Inscription

Tony, 05/02/2021
T6 Inscription 4dr Sedan AWD w/Prod. End 11/20 (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

The T6 engine has all the grunt and low end torque one would expect from its competitors at BMW or Audi. Where the S60 pulls slightly ahead of the competition is its refined and comfortable ride and its provision of calm ambience. To personify the car it is much like a sleeping jungle cat - which is awoken by a simple tap of the accelerator. I have owned my T6 Inscription for about a week and have had nothing but compliments from passengers and onlookers for its elegant, understated styling. Those who ride in the back feel like they have as much leg room as a 5-series BMW, and overtaking vehicles seems effortless and surprising due to the cars soft suspension. The double-cream that I appear to be driving on seems to be torn up behind me when I give it the goods. All-around, one of my favorite cars I’ve owned.

Striking and Stealthily Quick

JRR, 04/09/2021
T5 R-Design 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Love the car’s looks, both exterior and interior. I have read so many complaints about the infotainment system, but I find it easy to navigate. Voice controls also work very well. Most people do not think of Volvo vehicles as fast, and they sure look surprised when you easily pull quickly away from an aggressive driver on the freeway! The car handles well and is fun to drive and relaxing at the same time. The suspension is just a little firm, but not jarring, and the seats are amazingly supportive and comfortable. I am unsure still about the long term reliability of the vehicle, but so far, all is well.