Used 2016 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

I thought I was buying a safe car.
By Jennifer Jones

2016 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E Premier 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I leased a 2016 model in December of 2015 from Herb Gordon Volvo in Silver Spring, MD. It was my plan to buy the car after the lease was up. Everything was going well. I serviced my car as required. The problems began after two years in 2018. My car began saying "High engine temperature. Turn engine off." I took it to the dealership and they topped off the coolant. Simple enough. They didn't even write a ticket. In early January, the same thing occurred. January 26th, the same thing the car continues to say the same thing. They checked the blue tooth for proper contact. February 8th, after bringing the car in again, the thermostat housing was replaced. In February, same issue, the low fuel pressure sensor was replaced. Towards the end of March, it began saying "High engine temperature. Stop Safely". At this point, I was not allowed to accelerate the gas. This occurred on the beltway in Washington, DC area in the midst of traffic! The water pump was replaced on April 9th. At this point, I no longer wanted the car. The last thing I want to happen is for the car to stop on me in the middle of the road/highway, risking my life, perhaps the lives of others in the car and/or countless others around me. I expressed my concern to volvo and was told they could not replace the car or get me out of the contract. On April 23rd, the car was brought in again and was fixed for the same problem. I was told the car could be exchanged, but only if I took on a new lease. My lease was up at the end of the year. The car was brought in again April 27th. After over two months on July 21st, the car was returned to me after being with the dealership for about a month. It received a brand new engine. On Friday, July 27th, the car was returned because it said, High engine temperature. Stop Safely" and "High Engine Temperature. Turn off Engine". (Remember the car always says this) At this time, the engine wouldn't let me go over 17 mph in the middle of DC traffic. Although three months of my lease was returned from the Volvo company. (they initially only wanted to give me one or two), all I want is to feel and be safe driving a car from one location to the next. This is not what I feel in my Volvo, nor is it something that Volvo (the company or the dealership) is willing to give me. Volvo, the car company supposedly known for safety, is not keeping me safe. They continue to put me in the same car.

problems problems problems
By the new volvos bite

2016 Volvo S60 T5 Inscription Platinum 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

nothing but problems. Fan just stopped working. tires keep BLOWING UP. did I mention THE TIRES KEEP BLOWING UP. like they EXPLODE. Off the rim, the works. I've been buying volvos for years. just volvos. This chinese made piece of junk made me loose faith in volvos. Next car not a vovlo. the radio doesn't have good signals. The GPS is HORRiBLE. HORRIBLE. the kind that makes you turn onto wrong ways, sends you on hour long detours... Nothing lasts on this car. Seats are falling apart, wiper blades don't do a good job. The plugs stopped working (to charge phones) Tires keep leaking air, we spend too much time at the dealership, just to be told the light alert is defective and they left the car as is with the tire sensor issue on... so many issues for a new car that we dont use much.

Better to buy now before price rises
By Mr. B

2016 Volvo S60 T5 Inscription Premier 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

Hard to learn all safety features. Missing light on feature.

Volvo is like a magnet
By Chuck

2016 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6A)

I looked at many different makes and models to replace my '03 S60/AWD. This is now my 3rd Volvo, and they are like magnets, meaning I just cannot get past all the good points about the car. Same reliable drivetrain as my '03, which just turned 220k. Interior has attention to detail, and is very comfortable.
The electronics are not that complex, and gas milage is actually better than my older one. It is tight and quiet. Back seat not a big issue, otherwise Inscription may have been an option. I am very satisfied with this car so far.

A hidden gem in entry luxury cars
By Jack

2016 Volvo S60 T5 Drive-E Inscription Premier 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Owned the car for over two months now and my experience is extremely positive.
I was looking for a car that is comfortable, safe, quiet, powerful enough yet with great fuel economy at the same time.
I researched various cars like new Accord touring, Acura TLX, 2017 Audi A4, Bentz C300, Lexus IS350 and S60 Inscription. I narrowed it down to Volvo S60 inscription and Audi A4. After test drive, the Volvo S60 Inscription stands out to be my top choice: it has the most head room for me and it is easily one of the smoothest to drive at all speed range. Standard features include leather interior, HD radio, rear window sunshades, city safety and glass sun roof etc.
The 18" titanium wheels look handsome and provide very good ride quality. The tall roof line makes entering and existing the car extremely easy. The car looks small from outside while roomy inside.
High quality leather seats, simple yet elegant color combination is pleasant to my eyes.
The sit position is more upright compared to other cars, together with excellent all-round support and wide adjustment range from the seat as well as from the steering wheel, easily provide the most comfortable experience among all the cars I've tested. The silk metal trim gives solid and luxuries feeling, the steering wheel has the perfect size, it feels really good in hands.
Driving
I own a Honda accord and my first impression driving the S60 is that the cabin is whisper quiet, much quieter than my Honda. The acceleration feels like a powerful V6, the S60 feels very solid on road. It does not have much body roll when making turns, at the same time it filters uneven road surface nicely.
Safety features
Safety feature includes the ability to stabilize the car in case of a flat tire; also good space between the front bumper and the radiator that can reduce damage in case of low speed accident (There is a sticker on the rear window of the passenger side that indicates the car's rear and front bumpers are designed to withstand 3 miles/hour hit limit, which exceeds the standard 2.5 mile/hour limit, which result in no structure damage and minimum bumper damage that can be fixed easily ); the city safety triggered once when a biker cuts in front of my car when my car was moving slowly, nice!
Entertainment
I loaded all my music collections on to a USB stick and plugin to the USB port in center console. The album name, album photo and track names are displayed on the LCD screen. I can now enjoy the high quality music on my daily commute.
Overall the S60 inscription is an elegant car that meets all my requirements, it provides an extremely well balanced experience that makes the daily drive a true joy.
Update (11-19-2016):
The combined MPG is now 29.4 at 3316 miles, compared to 28.4 at 1800 miles, my daily commute includes mountain road with a lot of up and downs.
Started to use the front seat heating feature as it is pretty cold now in the morning. I can feel the heat in less than 10 seconds. I hope the steering wheel could also be heated.