Used 2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

The little one that could
By Dr Richard Ray Shreve

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The handling, braking, road feel, engine performance (given regular fuel additives), & get up and go in comfort and safety are superb. Interior materials not so much, especially door panels and handles. Seating is comfortable after one learns to get in and out. For 2 people only unless in a pinch. Excellent mileage, 40 mpg but with higher priced diesel fuel. Repairs & parts at dealers are expensive. Powerful smooth running engine. Needs a new battery every other year or so. RR$, Ph.D.

No more VW ANYTHING! for me!!
By Peppi

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I dig my car a lot! I have had my car for about 11 years now and I never used to have ANY issues with my car. However, this will be THE LAST! Volkswagen vehicle of ANY kind for me! They used to make Beetles to where they lasted for decades, but not really anymore. I know that vehicles are machines; therefore, they are going to have some issues, but come on!! One thing after another!! When one thing breaks- here breaks something else. The air bag light came on allegedly having to do with a code, but then I needed a newer battery that I had just bought not even quite 4 years prior! I was told that little things like the air bag will come on so it will bother you to take it do the dealership to get it repaired- they will find something the matter. After so many miles that you drive, little things like the light to something will appear among other things, too. I have also learned that when you buy a vehicle, make sure that you will be able to afford the parts- VW parts are WAAAAAAY to expensive! The car is expensive enough! When I see people driving down the road with a new Beetle, I think to myself that they have no idea what they have just gotten themselves into. The interior can be of better quality and material given fact that the car is very expensive. I have also learned that if you buy a Beetle convertible, keep in mind that the convertible top may be of very poor and of cheap quality; you will most likely need to replace the convertible top eventually and they are NOT cheap. I am done- NO more for me!

Diesels require expensive maintaince
By tool cat

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I found out after the purchase that this TDI engine requires special oil that must meet the VW spec #505.01 which is very hard to find. Also the lower engine plastic guard must be removed every time just to change the oil. The filter is easily accessible. This engine (PD/BEW) has had some trouble with the camshafts. Which is why the special oil. Also the cam belt must be changed according to the schedule or you risk the engine blowing up do to the belt braking. Most other vehicle now use a cam chain instead of the toothed belt. It has plenty of power with the turbo kicking in. Mileage has been 40 - 43.5 mpg

Have Loved Every Mile Driving My Bug!
By Cheryl Tamburri

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My 2006 VW NEW BEETLE 6 speed A/T came with everything available, clear down to convertible top boot, wind screen, leather everything, seat warmers, satellite radio. Arctic Blue with a gray top has been a rarity out here in CA, but that top has been down a zillion times in CA weather. 10 years and 80,000 miles later it still drives like the day I bought it; but it has been lovingly maintained and service schedules followed - the key to any car's longevity. Turbos were standard in this model and this little car kicks gas, so fun to drive. Having said that, it's a Bug, low tech as they come but efficient and with usual German sensibility everything is where it should be in the cockpit. Time to part company with the old girl, not easy, as she still looks like the day she left the dealer's lot. Hope she'll make somebody else as tickled to drive her as I've been ~ truly, best cat ever.

Mellow yellow
By Missy

2006 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love my bug, I have one constant problem the head liner pops out from the back window every time I put the top down .Has been to the shop numerous times