Used 2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Old car - First Time Driver
By Marianne Mulcahey

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable - Not luxurious - Suits my needs. I am a first time driver so this is an excellent car for me to drive around town and haul things. It parks parks easily. When I get lost, I can quickly do a u-turn. I don't have to worry about where I park it or if it gets a ding while I am driving. It has never failed to start even in the worst freezing weather or in high heat. It is not flashy but it gets me around town and suits my skill level.

151,000 miles and still going
By Mary

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

My Golf TDI is going on 14 years-old. I bought it brand new and wouldn't part with it for anything. I have followed the owners Manuel as directed, changed the timing belt just under 100,00 miles as suggested even though there was no problem. Changed the oil faithfully, and addressed all other regular issues as advised via the owners manual. I have kept seat covers on it and the original cloth seats look like new. The other day a stranger rang my doorbell and offered me $6,000 for it....I'm like no way. I hope I will never have to part with my little Golf buddy after 14 years I still Love driving it.

Adequate basic transport
By Vladimir

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Don't delude yourself into thinking that you are getting "German engineering" on a budget because a lot of corners were cut to make a car this cheap. The engineering design thought is there, but it's betrayed by utilizing plastics instead of metals, and Brazilian assembly. This is most evident in the elegant, but squeaky interior. For the price, this car serves a very good purpose: a small yet spacious, relatively comfortable, nimble, easy-to-park city commuter that needs minimal maintenance considering it's German origins. The 2.0L non-turbo engine is reliable for a VW, easy on gas and acceptably quick in the city when combined with the equally reliable 5 speed manual transmission. I got this car in 2013 with ~80,000 miles on it, and have since put on another 35,000. Maintenance-wise, I have done the predictable, reasonable maintenance that has included oil changes (Rotalla T6) every 5,000 miles, timing belt, battery, engine mount, strut mounts, sway bar bushings. There has also been a small amount of unexpected maintenance, that is a result of design faults: original water pump with plastic impellers upgraded to metal impeller model ($70), coil pack cracked leading to misfires in wet weather ($120), low pressure power steering line cut by the nearby radiator fan ($15), thermostat failed ($30), center muffler rusted ($180). Future repairs include: grinding starter in cold weather, abnormal wear on rear disc brakes. Apart from the power steering line that almost left us stranded in middle-of-nowhere, Maine, the other repairs were not very urgent and not overly expensive.

Best car I owned
By Jovan

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car at auction in 2009 with 130000 miles on.I paid 2500 dollars (for ,then,6 years old )
Never had any problems with it ,super reliable.
Now it has 235000 miles and it still drives good.
I used synthetic oil. The fuel pump had to be replaced last year. Other than that only regular maintenance expenses (tires, brakes etc) still has the original clutch .Amazing

Always thought VW were known for their reliabilit.
By Jack

2003 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought my Golf it had 70k miles on it and I had every intention of driving it until 300k. Unfortunately at 148k that doesn't seem likely. For the first year i had it it went relatively alright, nothing too big. After that, it was all down hill. Almost all the knobs for the audio adjustments have broken off, the paint on the buttons and controls have all worn off, the ceiling lining it peeling off, the cloth padding on the doors is falling off, the hydraulic hood strut in the back has failed, not to mention the key fob wont unlock the trunk anymore, and that's just to name a few things. So far I've replaced the radiator, had several misfires, replaced 2 of the window clips (which have a history with failing resulting in your window falling off the track), the side mirror cover has fallen off on the highway twice, and not to mention it consumes oil like my gramps consumes whiskey. All in all, I've spent close to what I paid for it maintaining it, and that's only 80k miles in. Currently looking to sell it and get something more reliable.