Used 2016 Volkswagen e-Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used e-Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Fun electric commuter car

John Heyer, 01/19/2017
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I wanted to get a second car for electric commuting to supplement my old Subaru. After looking extensively at the Volt, Soul, Focus, i3, and 500e, I felt the e-Golf was the best option to handle my twisty Highway 17 commute and it was the right decision. The design is solid, the ride is quiet and comfortable, and handling is good, although front tires will spin if the accelerator is hit hard. Range is generally 80 miles, even with mostly highway driving using the A/C. I generally charge at home on a standard outlet and recover the 60 miles used in about 15 hours (fortunately I only drive it every other day). Updated infotainment system on the 2016 models is really nice and does CarPlay, although I was disappointed to realize the base SE has no steering wheel button to activate Siri. The SE also lacks cruise control.

Love This Car

Loves This Car, 02/19/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Using the heater will take away from the battery. I will get a good 60 miles with the heater running. When I want to see that i'm doing better on mileage, i turn off the heater. I use regeneration stage 1 and gain some mileage. When i am in traffic and is not accelerating, i use no battery power. The only other things using the high voltage battery are the AC and heater. If i think that i need more time on the battery as i drive around town, i slow down. That's why this car give more miles in the city than on the highway. My only issue at this time is the capacity of the battery. I will buy a car with better battery capacity soon.

Great car

M, 03/04/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I bought the 2016 SE as a commuter and being my first electric, I was surprised how fast the acceleration was. The interior has a lot of room, XM radio controlled by the wiper control, and the range has been great. I am averaging about 100 miles range. I have only been charging at night with the Level 1 charger and can recharge my 60 mile commute in about 11-12 hrs on a 110v outlet. iPhone app and carnet software has some nice features, but there are some glitches here and there. The lower rate charger on the SE has not been an issue for me as i just charge at night and have a pretty predictable commute. I also have other cars, so if this were my only car, I'd get the higher model with the higher rate charger.

Definitely 5 stars overall

Richard Zimmer, 05/20/2018
SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

A comment about each of the two single-star reviews from other owners: 1. If the software to time the charging is spotty, then simply make it a pattern to check on the car once during the night to ensure it is charging. Make it a routine, just like taking the dog or cat outside. While having to drive the car without heat in 45F is chilly, it is definitely not "freezing". Have you noticed the many electric car reviews (of any make) in the winter, the driver is bundled up? 2. For the owner who moved from California to Georgia: Yes, the dealer should have mentioned that VW dealers in GA cannot service the car, but that should be a negative rating on the dealer and not on the car itself. Anyway, the maintenance on E-Golf is pretty much limited to tire rotations, 12-volt battery check, windshield wash fluid fill, and other things which you or your local mechanic can do, and don't worry about violating warranty. I really think VW dealers' service of E-Golfs are just money makers to pad their own pockets - - there's no oil to change, no spark plugs, no radiator. Brakes last twice as long. And yet they charge more than they would charge for regular Golf maintenance.

5 out of 5 stars

Fantastic solid made in Germany car.

thierry nedellec, 07/28/2017
SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Great value. Comfort, economical, feels very solid. Incredible acceleration. Great visibility. Nice sound system.

Love-Hate Relationship

Jay, 04/27/2020
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I bought (leased) it new, drove it for 3 years and put about 36,000 miles on it. Pros: The car looks, feels, drives and functions amazingly. It has the pluses of the Golf, which include excellent handling, comfortable seating front and back, a great view of the road, and a surprising amount of room for people and cargo. You take for granted how well balanced this car is until you step into almost any other car. The electric charging saved serious $$. It was very reliable. Cons. Range was a little over 80 miles in the summer and under 60 miles in the winter... with heater frequently off! As this was my only car, range was an enormous, life-style altering problem. Fast chargers began popping up in Portland during my ownership, which made life a bit easier. The charge chord melted, and took several days to replace under warranty. And it was annoying having to take the car for maintenance every 10K miles and get charged dealership fees for a simple electric check. About 2 years in, I tried selling it, but the leasing agreement made the process extremely difficult and I gave up. VW Credit was a pain from beginning to end. At the end of the lease, they charged me $350 fee for returning the vehicle!! It felt like they had me by the neck from the time I signed, were going to screw me over and didn't give a damn if I would be a returning customer. I highly recommend the car IF: It is the second car in your household, you avoid VW Credit, you install a Level 2 Charger at your home, and live in an area friendly towards electric vehicles. If you meet these conditions, i think you will LOVE this car!

Poor Man's Audi

Jacques, 04/26/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have never loved a car until this one. It's quiet, fast off the line, and does not compromise on utility. It's great to charge overnight and skip trips to gas stations.

5 out of 5 stars

Super fun ride! You'll hate gas cars driving this

R. Sturtevant, 05/02/2017
SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

VW designed the eGolf to be nearly identical to the gas version of the car. It's not a cheap feeling, light vehicle that drives like a shopping cart as some e-Cars are. 0 to 30 mph it has greater acceleration than the GTI. That seems like an odd benchmark, but when you think of how many times you pull out of an intersection to oncoming traffic that quick burst of power gives you a great sense of driving confidence. Handling is superb. The entertainment system and driver controls are nicely configured. I get over 100 miles on a charge in warm weather going less than highway speeds. In cold weather with lots of highways this can drop considerably to say 70 miles per charge. It works great for me give my commute is less than 50 miles per day. I hear that the 2018 model will add about 30% to the range. That's good, but for me I find that most of my driving is well within the range of this car. Still I think VW will need to compete with other electrics that promise 200+ miles. Overall it's just a really fun car to drive and has given me no problems in 2 years. I'm thinking of buying it when the lease ends next year.

Great little car!

Peter C., 10/15/2017
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Drives great. Good handling. Gas saver. Most suitable for driving around town. Only complaint is that during braking, I hear some clicking noise. Not sure if that's normal or not.

1 out of 5 stars

An great electric car crippled by zombie software

HP, 02/05/2016
SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The handling and acceleration of e-Golf is beyond my expectation. It is cute and agile on city road and highways. This is compared to the cars (Mercedes E350 and BMW X5) that I have. The perspective of paying $1.4 dollar for my daily commute of 45 miles is very promising. However, I will not recommend this model year to others because of the following pain points: (1) This car has a 3G module that communicates with VW server. It fails: The CarNet service on desktop browser or mobile App allows you to (a) lock/unlock the car, (b) activate A/C, (c) charging schedule manage. From day-1, the CarNet server is never able to communicate with my car. It renders the CarNet service useless. My e-Golf is completely off the grid. (2) Delay charging failure: If you search for "VW e-golf delay charging issue" on Google, you will find long list of complaints that it doesn't work. Yes, 2015 e-Golf delay charging problem continues to plague 2016 e-Golf. For people living in California, the low electric rate kicks in between 11pm-7am. This is a very fundamental software feature for utilize the discount rate, yet it fails to deliver. For those days that it fails to delay charge, I could wake up in the morning and only find out the battery is not charged. I had to drive my e-Golf with ECO+ mode in one morning commute because battery is low. With ECO+ mode that turns off AC/Heater, I was frozen with inside temperature 45F and thinking what I have trapped myself into. This is a horrible experience for a new car owner.

155 MILE RANGE!

Scot, 10/18/2017
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have been driving my 2017 VW Egolf for a month now and its amazing, I work in the service dept at a major VW dealership, the 17 is a now brainer, 50% plus more range than the 16, amazing pick up and regen. infotainment system is update and perfect

3 out of 5 stars

Handles corners well, zips over canyons

Canyon hopper, 07/26/2019
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I just bought the car today. For Los Angeles the car might not be the best in terms of gas mileage because when I started 9 miles away it was at 76 on the dashboard and 3 miles into my drive home it’s at 55. That’s 21 miles for the distance of three. Granted I was going up at very large hill And the air conditioner was on. So I’m hoping that by charging every night I will actually be able to make it to work and back which is a total of 18 miles. On the upside it handles beautifully And surprisingly goes over potholes and bumps very easily. Update - have been driving it for a week. I wish I hadn't bought this car. They don't tell you that 126 is nonexistent. I got home from work and it was at 26 miles left after having started at 78 this morning and I drive less than 18 miles.

2 out of 5 stars

Buyer Beware!!!

gmontagne, 09/14/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I bought this car in California and told the dealership that I would be moving to Georgia within the year. They never told me that I would not be able to get the car serviced in Georgia. I paid to have it shipped Georgia, and now that it is time for my 1st maintenance, low and behold there are no dealerships who have been trained on servicing the car. Now I am stuck with a car that can't be serviced by VW, and am told that if I have it serviced by a non-dealership mechanic it could void my warranty. When I called VW to try and see if they could have someone trained in the area, they told me it was MY responsibility to know whether or not they service the vehicle in other states. Who has ever heard of a car made by a major manufacturer that could not be serviced by at least one local dealership? So much for customer service! If you are thinking of buying this car, and think you could ever move to another state during the time that you own this vehicle - then by another vehicle instead.

Should have kept my Prius

Debbie R in L.A., 08/17/2019
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I work 9 miles from home and have to charge my car every single night and I’ve only had it for three weeks. Because I drive in bumper to bumper traffic I can watch the 107 mile fully charged battery drop within 10 minutes down to 87 and then down to 55 before I get home. It can take 22 hours to fully charge. So I have to charge it every night for 12 hours and hope that it is fully charged. 9 miles using up 53? Who made this piece of garbage? I was told by sales to “realistically” expect 100 miles per charge, not the 126 advertised. Also, the delay does not work at all. I put it on for the first time and in the AM my car was still at 55. I live driving it but this is a scam.

1 out of 5 stars

Horrible electric charging and support!

Jessica Hildebrandt, 11/26/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

When we've got the e-Golf the company promises over 100 miles range full charge, but after the software update it started our nightmare with just 54 miles range and a horrible charger that almost fire up our hause and a bad winter without car heating and/or car pulled over because ran out of battery in the middleof our ride to work or back to home. All attempted to fix the problem failed and the VW Co an Financial office refused to take the lemon car back, instead the charge us $2500 for early return fee.

2 out of 5 stars

Should have kept my Prius

Debbie R in L.A., 08/17/2019

16 e-golf solved MOST of our primary car needs

irj, 07/30/2021
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

If you are shopping for an e-Golf, you probably already know the different models, years, and benefits of each--there are definitely some model improvements in '17 that we envy but for almost all of our car trips (like, 325 days a year) this car's range and amenities are all we need. It's a blast to drive, there is little to no maintenance cost, and it's easy to charge at home (get a charger on Amazon or etc. for under a grand). The stereo sounds good for a stock radio. Handling is fun around town. On the highway, it's a little odd that this model (SE) doesn't have any kind of cruise control at all, but you probably are not going to log a ton of highway miles anyway. As a second car, it's a no brainer (if you can charge at home). As a primary car, with some work and a few rental cars for longer trips, it's totally fine and INEXPENSIVE. TLDR, we love it.

51050