Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:
12345...45

Pros
Cons

278,000 miles and counting

gene_neill, 10/20/2012

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

2004 Tacoma V6, Auto, 4WD, SR5 Trim, TRD Off Road

Mike, 12/18/2016
2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Original and only owner. For 12 years of ownership, it has been as reliable as I could ask with normal maintenance. The engine is insane, still has get up and go. Have 196,000 miles, 85% highway miles. I have received offers to sell at gas stations and the dealers frown because they know my 1st gen Toyota will be tough to beat with any newer models being made. I owned Olds and Chevys before my Toyota. When I hit 110,000 miles on them I was putting hundreds into them every year to keep them going, giving up at 130,000 miles. My Toyota breezed past 130,000 miles no problems whatsoever, none. You get what you pay for. The truck is a moving house. After paying it off years ago, I have done collateral loans to make it thru tough times. Time and time again the banks ask me the usual questions. When they find out I own a Toyota Tacoma, they basically grab the paperwork and tell me to sign. The word on the street; as with the reviews on here, Toyota and Tacoma, hand in hand, is quality and reliability at its best.

Best pickup you could buy in the USA

Nick Christov, 03/20/2017
2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is really great example of a 2004 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner, V6, 3.4L engine and 5-speed manual transmission. I have one 1997 Chevy 1500, V6, 4.3L engine and automatic transmission, and I had 1999 Ford 150, V8, 5.4L engine and automatic transmission. Without any doubt the Toyota is on the top! I couldn't find enough good words to tell how well this pickup has been made back in 2004 in Japan....the highest Japanese quality! I would like to say that there is one thing I don't like....not only on my Toyota, but on all vehicles, made for the US market, and this thing is....a microswitch for the clutch pedal....to start the engine. I'm 69 years old, and since I was 16 years young boy, I used to drive vehicles with manual transmission. I have never put the stick in first gear or reverse....only in "NEUTRAL", so first thing I did was to take that switch off and put it in the garbage. There is one thing I like, but....it is NOT in the right place....the clock. If some one is so stupid to put the stick in first gear and start the car....he will wreck his car even with this switch anyway....sooner or later.

10 year review

whitetacoma04, 04/30/2014

Got my Taco in 2005 w/ 12k miles while visiting O.C CA. I consider it my first-born child. It has 50,200 on it now, and a set of spark plugs are the only thing I`ve put into it besides oil/lube changes. Timing belt this year due to age only. Has plenty of power for what you put in bed, small trailer. 26 mpg is about the best I can get on highway due to lack of cruz and the fact it drives out good around 75mph. My neighbor drives a 1996 base model @ work that has 550k last I saw. It`s on clutch #3, the u-joints in the steering & driveshaft are the other replaced items. Oil still needs no checking between 5k changes. If you maintain your Yota you can count on them for a good, long time. Word

04 Tacoma displeasure

Donald Downs, 11/18/2004

Bought new 2004 Tacoma 4 x 2 automatic 2.4 cyl SR5 ext. cab Very unhappy, poor power, 2 pc. drive shaft clunks when you accelerate hard, dealer service department, nothing we can do. rated at 21-26 mpg. best I have gotten is 21 even on highway. If a/c is on, loose speed going up a incline, do to poor power. Don't waste your time. It won't be in my garage long!!!

12345...45