Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive - (4 reviews )

do not buy
By Carey Dean

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I have owned Toyotas now for going on 15 years. I had decided I would never buy anything but Toyota. I had always had great sales experiences and liked the products. Recently I got a letter in the mail that my RAV 4 may have a faulty torque converter. After reviewing the signs I quickly knew that I had been experiencing the signs of this issue and had been for some time. I took my care to the dealership as instructed. After review I was told I did have a faulty converter but also now a failing transmission. Toyota refused to take responsibility for the fact that the defective part caused damage to my transmission. I have been to two other mechanics since who tell me there is no doubt the two are related. I have the unique opportunity of being a community health nurse in my area therefore I get to be really present in my community. I often have patients and other nurses ask me about my car my experience. I actually have convinced on of my fellow nurses and one customer to purchase a RAV4. Due to this situation and Toyotas refusal to stand behind their product I plan to use every opportunity I have to let everyone I come into contact with know that choosing Toyota is a mistake. I also have several friends who are car salesman, I am going to share this experience with them so that they can let interested car buyers know that Toyota does not stand behind their products and that they are a bad choice. I had planned to purchase another Toyota for myself and one for my daughter this year as she is going away to college. I will definitely never do business with you again and will make it my mission to ensure to encourage everyone I know to do the same.

Rise of the Electric SUV
By Thad from Topanga

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV 4dr SUV (electric DD)

This is a great car, with some seriously mediocre traits. The Great is that it is Pure Electric, has incredible range, is quick and really fun to drive. In fact it feels like the power train is out performing the suspension... so be careful. The exterior styling of the car is great, and its fairly comfortable. The not so great has to to do with the console containing entertainment and climate controls. I'm not sure what happened here, but the hodge podge approach set back the notion of intuitive interface to the ice age, they are truly awful. It feels like they took components that never quite worked in other cars and dumped them in here just to get them out of inventory. With that said.. we have made it ours, and we love driving it, even with the disappointing controls.

Get While You Can
By gg77

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV 4dr SUV (electric DD)

If you golf, you've heard of a 'Poor Man's Pebble' in reference to Pebble Beach. Well, this is a 'Poor Man's Tesla'...btw, this is a complement. Like other posters have said, you're getting the Tesla motor without having to put down another $20k+. Prior cars include an Audi A4 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. While this does not include 4WD it matches/exceeds their speed/torque off the line, has as much storage as the Jeep, and is a smoother ride than either. Yes, I'm pleased. I understand the model is being phased out by end of 2014 due to meeting of CA EPA regulations so get one while you can.

Suprising torque, tech features, smooth ride.

When dropping rear seats to flat position you have to manually remove head rests so they lie flat. While we've driving from Sacramento to SFO on a charge would nice to just a little more range.

Great Electric Car
By kesscalade

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I've owned the Rav4EV for about 5 months now and I love it!
I did a lot of EV car research and in summary this car is as good as it gets without shelling out another $20,000 minimum to get a Tesla, which are phenomenal cars.
Really fun to drive.
Since the car is a Tesla/Toyota venture you feel the power and fun driving experience of the Tesla to some degree but still have the size and space of an SUV.
For someone who dislikes small cars this car was a perfect choice for me.
Can't beat the silent drive and zero gas stops.
Great interior look and feel as well!

I love the standard seat heaters, dual air conditioning system, voice activated GPS. Standard feature of course for a car of this cost.

I do have a couple about this vehicle. I feel that for the price, there should be a couple of more feature options like blind spot monitoring, radar cruise control, electronic seat controls, seat cooling, full leather seats (rather then leather trimmed seats). Lack of overall choices for interior/exterior colors was disappointing when I was choosing the car as well. The lack of a long range is a drawback and bit me in the but one time when I was forced to stop at a charging station for a couple of hours just so I could get home. Also, the full charge on the car is random. I've found that the range for the full charge when I take off in the morning goes anywhere from 71 - 80 miles.