Used 2003 Subaru Baja Consumer Reviews

Used Baja for Sale
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Best Car I've Owned

John V., 08/20/2015
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I dislike reviews of this vehicle/truck hybrid that say it is limited in functionality. If one needs to haul drywall, then get a truck. The Baja is an amazing vehicle with no problems after 12 years and 90,000 miles. It's fun to drive and looks great. I get offers to buy my car all the time, even though it is not for sale. My wife encouraged me to treat myself to a new car. I won't trade this Subaru in for even a Mercedes. I owned a business for 10+ years and this was the perfect vehicle to take the kids back and forth while hauling boxes and landscaping equipment in the back. The Baja is a collector's car. I own the yellow, which is sporty and fun. Oh yeah, other drivers can't miss seeing it.

Just wouldnt die

Trent, 02/15/2016
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2003 baja which I bought at 100,000 miles. Over the next two years, I added on 60,000 miles using it as a commuter car. I bought the car with few mechanical problems, and over the long commutes and two years on an already dated car, I was rather impressed with its reliability. Over the course of those miles, the only repairs were brake pads, rotors, muffler repair, sealing an oil leak and a lower ball joint. I finally trades it in once an O2 sensor failed at 162,000 miles. All in all, pretty respectable considering it is 13 years old in the rust belt. The bed was very useful for moving washers, dryers, beds, etcetera. I got my use out of it. I would buy another if they were still making them.

I wish I had your Baja :(

kch5, 12/19/2010
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

90k miles M/T. If only the engine reliability was as great as the ride. Consistent 1Qt oil consumed per 1k miles driven since got at 60k (and I'm assured by Subaru this is normal and not to worry about it, just fill it up every third gas fill up, no problem). Both head gaskets just blew, along with failed battery and failed water thermostat. To repair all problems, we're talking new battery, head gaskets, thermostat, new piston rings or short block replacement=$5500 at dealer (about equal to trade in value), which means good-bye or home rebuild. Heartbroken trying to find a non-Subaru manual AWD replacement.

versatile communter

Fredd, 09/19/2015
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Engine gaskets and CV boots only real issues over 12 years. I have taken it cross country (Wash to Maine), non turbo struggles up hills at higher altitudes (Idaho, Montana), gearing is great for best gas mileage @ 65 mph, drops considerably when up at 75 mph handles rain or snow with aplomb. Subaru need to update design and make a newer model within the next few years so I can buy my final BAJA

A serviceable multi purpose stylish truck

Debora in Augusta, 01/22/2017
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I adore this Japanese ElCamino and hope Subaru will make another one soon. . The bed height is perfect for loading wood, groceries, mulch and Christmas trees... and the back seat lies flat for transporting pets. Downside is the quality of the exterior materials...Seems like something is always getting loose or falling off. ... but I can’t wait for my next one.

Great concept, lacking execution

Dave, 01/08/2006
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 40k high speed and around town (yes, Home Depot!) driving, I have fallen out of love with the Baja, but still respect it. Love the versatility and carrying capacity (quite amazing really, with some creativity). Handling at higher speeds is very good after replacement of the awful OEM tires. Fold down seats, bed extension, poke through door into bed, all great with signature AWD. With the base 2.5l, acceleration is by appointment only. Tranny seems confused and gets in its own way. Wind noise has been a consistent problem, even after service that helped, some. And at 40k this has had more "little" failures and issues than seems characteristic of Subaru.

What a great surprise!

2 Bees, 04/18/2009
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband brought his Subaru down to the states from Canada 10 years ago.In South Florida it was an "oddball" to say the least. When we moved to Las Vegas it was in much better company but getting old. While in the dealership for service we watched the Baja's get unloaded, once I saw the yellow one I was hooked! Between the quality and finish I love this car. (No, it's not a truck!) What a blast dashing through the Las Vegas wash in this vehicle, great for off road adventures! I now participate in art festivals and only a minivan will out do this baby. We had a kayak carrier built we love everything about our Baja!

Great vehicle

AZ, 05/30/2009
AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best vehicle I have ever owned. 167000 miles and no troubles, do all the maintenance myself. Very easy to change oil, plugs, belts, and fuel and air filters. I have hauled a variety of things - trencher, lumber, eight 5 gallon paint buckets - very versatile vehicle. Feels like a car but has some truck utility. Get average of 27mpg. Drive 6 miles of dirt road every day and it is still holding up - all neighbors have had to replace their cars but my Subaru keeps going and going.

Excellent vehicle

BajaMan, 07/09/2009
AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a replacement for my 1994 Jeep Wrangler in December 2002. I was attracted by the fact it was a car and a truck and it's all wheel drive. So far the only major problem was the battery went flat about a year ago for no apparent reason.

I love my Baja

mcharmon, 10/23/2006
Sport AWD 4dr Crew Cab (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Baja. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, but from what I hear, that will never happen. My Baja gets good gas mileage, it's sharp looking and it's really fun to drive. Mine is a 5-speed manual, and it will really get up and go. In the mountains, I lock in the cruise at the speed limit and pass everybody else on the road because they can't make it up the mountain, and I go right up as if it were level ground. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

12345...10