Used 2016 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

The 2017 electric is a disappointment
By Justin

2016 smart fortwo electric drive coupe 2dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Everything is great about the new 2017 electric except the battery range. My old 2016 got a minimum of 68 miles on a charge and even 80 miles if I was careful. My new 2017 in the winter in Massachusetts gets at the most 51 miles and if anything is running, may drop to as little as 39 miles. The dealer and the manufacturer says this is normal, but for me, the car has become almost useless in the Winter. It should not be sold in the North. Otherwise all the features in the new car are much better....but so what, for me, I would never have bought it if I knew it was like this.

Not just a city car
By RLLets

2016 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (.9L 3cyl Turbo 5M)

- for the size car it's very roomy, feels like a full size car
- for the size car there's good storage space in back
- cute outside look and shape
- unusual and fun inside decor
- although marketed as city car, it does great on the highway
- very bad turbo lag however it has great acceleration
- turbo lag is a danger in situations where one is depending on smooth instantaneous acceleration like merging from a stop or starting on a curve
- drives at highway speed (70+) like a full size car
- good power, doesn't downshift going up hill as much as big car
- excellent cruise control, hardly ever shifts to maintain speed
- U turns are amazing and too fun
- parking is so easy, fits in very small places
- insurance cost is very high, higher than any other vehicle I have including a 37' motorhome
- although it appears to be a full size car from front and rear, driver must keep the small size in mind at all times
- brakes are good but don't come on smoothly
- constant road noise is a problem if one is irritable otherwise can be ignored or tuned out
- good ride on smooth pavement but rough ride on rough road like a one ton pickup

The Edmunds editor did a lousy job of summarizing the review. Here is my summary:

- Maneuverability

- Ride on rough surfaces
- Insurance cost

Dissapointment, too many problems
By Kiana

2016 smart fortwo prime 2dr Hatchback (.9L 3cyl Turbo 5M)

The car gets less then 30 mpg, not 39/36. The gas gauge is not calibrated and the driver side window is lifted off during windy conditions and whistles noisily. This has not been fixed during 2 services.

PARKS EZ
By Gerald

2016 smart fortwo prime 2dr Hatchback (.9L 3cyl Turbo 5M)

In no way does the 2016/2017 reflect the status of the SMART For Two of previous years. The ride is improved. The transmission is now smooth and shifting through the six speeds is undetectable. Interior finish and appointments are quality and reflect the Mercedes input! The side movement during windy dirving is effectively nullified. The turning radius is absolutely outrageous! Nothing on the market equals that. The cabin temperature controls are effective and the sound from the entertainment center is outstanding. The new tires and the highway operating sound level are greatly improved. All around vision from inside the cabin is good. The only thing I have found that I didn't like was the windshield wiper on the drivers side. Doesn't wipe good. The mileage is not quite as good as my last two SMARTS, but is better than advertised I consistently get 42/44 miles per gallon on the through way. I have previously owned a 2011 and 2013 coupe and cabrio. I would hardly return for two more SMARTs if I didn't like the the two previous ones I owned!! The question software would not allow me to put in the year (2016)

Love my SmartCar!
By Marlene

2016 smart fortwo proxy 2dr Hatchback (.9L 3cyl Turbo 5M)

We just had a great experience at Walter's Mercedes-Benz. Christian Garcia-Felix was our sales consultant, and took complete care of us from the minute we walked in the door. He was very sweet and extremely thorough. We bought a 2016 Smart Fortwo Coupe and love it! Everyone we worked with, from Sales Manager Ted Pyle, Finance Manager Andy Towns and GM Ray Burke were kind, professional and solution oriented. The dealership is family owned, and we left feeling like we were family. It was a wonderful experience!