Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

great first 10 years
By ike

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Best small car ever owned first 10 years can still hit 40 mpg at 60 mph without air on, a-c always works, at 104000 and 10 years old, needed new head 2 grand to put in, later in year 11 a coolant sensor $ 200

economy, always started

softer armrest, more HP

Great Car. It Saved 2 lifes.
By Nicky Popo

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Got My Saturn in March 2003 and its one of the Best Cars I have ever ownned. In the 6 1/2 Years I owned this car I only had to Put two new tires on it and got it with 30'000 Miles. While stopped for a turn my 6 month Pregnant wife was rear ended by a van doing 50 mph and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was hit Head on again by a Mercury Grand doing 50. She and the Baby were fine. Bumps, and cuts thats All. I know this car saved her and the Babies Life. This car was a Miracle. I wanted to keep this car forever.

Paint looks like new, Great Gas Mileage, Reliabily, Great Pickup.

The Fact that I cant buy a new one now.

10 years and very little maintenance req
By Tom

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1999 and have had only the typical maintenance done. Only after all these years is it starting to show some issues. Most of my issues probably are because of the recommended services at 60,000 Miles have yet to be performed while I'm at 72,000 miles. If I were planning on keeping it I'd surely do this. I settled for the extreme basic SL2 model w/o any of the extras. Not even a CD player. I love the car for the daily commute to work and since I have the 5 speed manual transmission it has enough pep when I need it too. I doubt that it would be quite as peppy if it were an auto. trans. Love the car hate what's happening in the auto industry today.

Gas mileage, durability and retention of body appearance. Plastic sides equal zero rust! Looks much newer than it actually is.

Intermittent wipers when it's cold. They either won't work or work sporadically which is a real hassle when there is lots of salt on the road and you need to use washer fluid which also was prone to freezing, which I attribute to quick oil change places using watered down fluid.

NOT happy
By mattm

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

My SC2, which I bought new in '99, has had leaking gaskets from day one...first the 3rd door gasket leaked, which was replaced, and the trunk gasket has leaked since '00. I've been driving around w/a trunk full of water for about 8 years now...the moonroof motor stopped working about 5 years ago...windshield wipers have been replaced twice...(not the blades, that would be petty...)the wiper arms strip where they're connected, so the motor runs, but the wiper blades don't. buy a honda or something reliable...

cup holder. seriously.

Hard to believe- 200,000 follow up.
By Stan

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Dec of 98. It now has 202,000 miles and has never had a mechanical problem. Still gets great gas mileage. Uses a quart of oil between changes. This model was a bottom of the line Saturn with no features. I bought it because I could afford it. Now I can afford almost any car I want but I refuse to get a new car until this one dies. From the looks of it I don't think it will be any time soon. Friends are starting to make fun of my old Saturn but that just makes me more determined to keep it. I wish Saturn had been more successful in the long run. They did make a great product.

Trunk Space and Mileage.