Used 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

I miss you Iridium😢
By Beatrice

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I absolutely loved this car. I had it for more than three years. No problems at all. It’s beautiful, accelerates like a dream and stops on a dime. The ONLY reason I traded it was because my husband kept complaining about it being too small (it wasn’t). It has lots of storage and lots of legroom. He wanted it to ride like a luxury sedan, but it’s a sports car!! Driving with the top down is exhilarating. He finally wore me down and we traded it for an S550. I still miss my SL.

SL550
By Shot

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

This is a great car and I would by another one. Some people don’t like the outside appearance of the vehicle. In 2017 MB gave the SL a facelift and the car looks aesthetically better. The Nav screen is small and the 2013 technology on the GPS isn’t that great. Newer models have better NAV. Other than that, I love this car. In terms of power the car is a monster, very smooth and fast. Great freeway ride w the top up or right down. I would recommend this car.

SLick550
By John F.

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I have owned a 2013 sl550 for about 6 weeks now. If you like a comfortable, good handling, fast car, look no further. Yeah, a 911 might be a better sport car, but this is a classy, sweet ride. Acceleration is awesome. With over 500 foot pounds of torque, it will make your ears flatten. Can’t tell you about repairing, haven’t had it long enough.

First SL550 but third Mercedes Benz
By Allen Dean Snyder

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

If you are a Mercedes enthusiast and considered buying an SL550 for your retirement years, don't hesitate but choose the 2013 or newer. The improvements with this new redesign starting with the 2013 are well worth the extra it costs. It is a fantastic car and worth every penny. I have no regret purchasing mine and plan to keep it as long as I can drive, and then park it in the garage and just look at it.

Great Car, So So Sound System
By lifeinitaly@gmail.com

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I own the 2013 SL550 with basically all options ( except the Bang & Olufsen sound system upgrade). My car has the Harman Kardon standard sound. To be honest the sound is mediocre at best, I was expecting much better from a 6 digits car. I like to drive and enjoy a good sound and the Harman Kardon seem to missing bass response, the subwoofer seems under powered and all the sound comes from the front of the car. I even took the car to Mercedes to have a sound check and they told me my system was up to specks. Except for the sound, however, I am quite happy with the car. The torque is fantastic! Steering is not as precise as a 911 but the car does not want to be a sport car, it is a very conformable cruiser and is quite enjoyable even at slow speed. I had a 2010 M3 before and that car was no fun at everyday speed.
UPDATED REVIEW 6/19/2017 I took the car to Mercedes dealer to figure out if there was something wrong with the sound. After checking the car for 2 days they told me the car sound system was fine. (Actually I had the impression they treated me as I was crazy! ) At that point, I tried on the internet if there was an explanation.
I found this explanation "The sound is surround sound and the rear speakers don't produce much sound unless listening to a DVD-Audio disc and there is no front to back volume adjustment. Without a DVD-Audio disc ( a defunct system) I the sound is unacceptable, with too much volume coming from the front speakers. " So I realized the sound was tuned to DVD Audio : I follow the remedy I found on the web and added a separate rear speakers amplifier and a subwoofer and the sound is now great. But it was really disappointing that Mercedes tuned the sound of one of their flagship cars so poorly and without giving guidelines for a remedy.