Used 2012 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

I finally got the mazda I always wanted.
By Kenny

2012 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

It is a great car. The door lock mysteriously disappeared had drained the battery was a recall and cost me nothing. The only maintenance on the car is brakes and oil changes. It does not break down and drives great on the highway. I will upgrade in 2019 for an SUV. I just need more cargo space now.

Still in love
By Curt Harding

2012 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned my Mazda 6 for six years. I bought it when it had 12,000 miles on it. As of this writing, I have 156,000. I had one major repair of the transmission that cost $900. I'm about to get the driver's side automatic door locks fixed too. Besides that, only normal maintenance and upkeep. My only gripe about the design is that you have to remove the front tires in order to change the headlight. I'm not kidding and they go out frequently. I got used to it though. It is the best car I've ever owned. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Reliable, No-Frills Daily Ride
By Angela

2012 Mazda 6 i Touring Plus 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Bought a 2012 in 2014 with 50K miles and as a salesperson who drives all day, it's now at 97K miles and still going strong with only a battery, tires and brakes as any repairs ever needing to be done. It's been there for me on long cross-country drives with no support for a break down, as well as the day-to-day city stop and go driving I used to do several times in a single day. What I hated the most was the fact that the small things gave out very quickly, like within only a few years of owning it. Such failures included the keys/power locks (never repaired - nobody's gonna steal this anyway), trunk latch, interior lights and radio (which was just a fuse), rear view mirror broke from the windshield glass and the air conditioner motor is going out but has been able to be restarted by banging on the glove compartment for the past two years. To be honest, I never really took care of it, nor gotten the recommended maintenance besides the scheduled oil changes. It has a nice spacious interior, great factory sound system and a wide clear view of the road with minimal blind spots. It is a sluggish car with slow acceleration, but I did not buy it for the performance. I am going to miss this old, reliable car but the transmission has been acting up as of late. I traded up for the BMW M series I can finally afford, and the fact that I don't really want to be associated with the Mom image (no offense). Otherwise I would honestly keep it forever. I was back in the situation that I was when I originally bought it I would have definitely bought it all over again. If it were not for missing the 60K tranny flush and all the hard driving I have done with it, I think the transmission would be fine. Definitely a smart buy, and I will will miss this old gal. If you need simple, reliable and a good amount of room this is the ride for you.

On the Fence about Mazda
By DL

2012 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I needed a comfortable, safe, reliable car to do A LOT of driving in. This car has been perfect for that. Unfortunately, I've had to sacrifice a few things. The mileage has never been great, and has worsened over the years. I'm currently getting 18 mpg with mixed city and freeway. I used to get anywhere from 20 to 28mpg when the car was new. The quality of the interior dashboard buttons and steering wheel labels is terrible. Dashboard buttons were sticking in the first year of ownership and the dealership could do nothing about it. The painted labels on the steering wheel (radio controls, etc.) and the paint throughout the console of the steering wheel have been slowly rubbing off from the first year. The trunk release button on the dash works infrequently, another issue under warranty that the dealership could do nothing about. I've always kept my car clean and maintained properly, but now I'm spending a small fortune on fuel and the steering console looks like it got in a fight with a clawed animal. This vehicle is 5 years old and has about 93,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable with no major repair issues. I'm just going to think twice before I purchase another Mazda due to the issues I mentioned.

Love Love Love! Hands down! On my third Mazda!
By MazdaSixFan

2012 Mazda 6 i Touring Plus 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Mazda6. Previously, I had the 2009 Mazda6 iGrand Touring and an RX-8. Great build qualities on Mazda and reliability! I'm pretty much a Mazda family. Currently, I have the 2013 Mazda6 but built in 2012. My thoughts about this car is more than what I expected. The 2009-2013 are the best looking and best handling cars I've ever owned! I get compliments here and there and I am so proud of having this car. The style and characteristics of this car is different from Toyota, Honda, Hyundai.. etc. Some will nag that the 4cyl 170hp isn't the best but other car makers that have 4cyl don't have the much either so I cant complain. I take it easy on my car because I don't need to stress the car out plus it'll last long. The gas mileage is phenomenal it isn't close to 40mpg however if you take it easy it'll go far plus driving any car hard tends to bring down reliability and bad gas mileage. You can feel how solid when you drive it and take turns. It feels like your driving a higher end luxury/sports sedan without paying the over priced luxo-mobile brands. On the highway, the handling is smooth and controlled. On the city it is the same. I have the 18inch wheels stock and you can hear a bit of road noise but that's standard on bigger wheels and low profile tires. This car cabin is spacious and rear seating and trunk is huge! The I touring plus or grand touring models.. the gauges are beautiful in color and they are easy to read. The stock stereo sounds great too. It had aux/Bluetooth but no USB which isn't a big deal. Overall, I love the car and I'm happy with it. I get head turns and I feel safe in it.