Used 2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great car bad steering.
By James

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Took two years to fix a bad steering module that is still like having no power steering at all.

Smooth Sailing!
By Kool

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned nothing but two vehicles since I entered adulthood after owning a 2004 Chrysler Sebring sedan (2.7L) that had mediocre reliability with the exception of consistently oil leaks, ignition coil number 6, and air conditioning issues, as well as ball joint noises, and squealing brakes -- oh! the driver side window motor was blown, so I had gotten fed up and I saw a Kia Optima EX Turbo on my dealership's lot dressed in Snow White Pearl, with a panoramic glass roof with the black gloss inserts that looked stunning! Ever since a family member rented a Kia Optima LX, I knew from the start I wanted an Optima. And I was blessed enough to purchase that Optima EX Turbo and fell in love with the creature comforts of having climate control seats for either season of the year - summer or winter - as well as rear heated seats for my rear occupants. How lovely! I also enjoyed the heated steering wheel and the Infinity high-definition audio sound system. Among other things, the power folding mirrors are a huge help, turning into a tight parking spot, or entering an automated car wash. The 2.0T moves the sedan like a six-cylinder engine while delivering 4-cylinder fuel economy, but it could be a bit better with an ounce of turbo lag, as well. With all things, there are some ups and downs, and they are the steering wheel persistent issues with the coupling that caused the steering to make a "clicking noise when maneuvering left or right" that was fixed under warranty from Kia Motor Corporation; moreover, I had my clock spring replaced (out of warranty), that ceased my horn, and caused my airbag light to illuminate, and I had to replace my car battery at 60k miles because it had a dead cell; and I had to replace my multi-functional fog lamp switch to regain function to reoperate my fog lamps. Also, the Infinity sound system sounds phenomenal, but it also causes excessive vibration and noise from the cheap panels in doors and headliner that will make it unpleasant at times. The leatherette on the steering wheel is peeling excessively, even at the time of purchase, and the leather seats are easy to rip and cut. All and all, I think this Kia has been reliable, but I don't want to speak too fast because I always go back on my word or at least sometimes.

Awsome Car!
By Derik

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am 6'6 and I still have plenty of room. I admit I have to tilt the seat back a bit. But in this car it feels right to tilt it back anyway. The get up and go is great! I have never had an issue with this car. I bought it new. It now has.99,000 miles. I do take good care of it and service every 5k. The only minor problem I had was when the floor was getting wet and found out it was a plugged hose from the a/c system. Was a 10 minute fix. I can't say I've ever had better luck with any other vehicle. Great gas mileage!

Premium and Value
By Acclaimed

2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I currently own a fully loaded 2012 Kia Optima EX Turbo and it has been "smooth sailing" with minimal problems since my ownership back in April 2016. My car had exactly 60k miles on it at time of purchase which was slightly high miles, but I was too thrilled about getting rid of my old 2004 Chrysler Sebring that was moderately reliable with the exception of significantly ignition coil and repeated oil leaks issues. Back to the Optima, after one week of ownership, my car kept dying and come to find out it had a dead battery cell and I had to replace it, alongside with my proximity key fobs that were dead after purchasing my vehicle. Several months later, my fog lamps have stopped working and I think it has something to do with the wires and now I need a coil spring to enhance my cruise control and steering wheel features to become accessible again. Most importantly, last December Kia had to replace a coupling part to stop my vehicle from clicking at every left and right turn. With that said, the value and luxury and performance of my car have been great. I love the panoramic moonroofs on hot summer days, and speaking of hot summer days, the climate control seats work wonders not to mention the rear heated seats for the winter months, along with the heated steering wheel. Oh -- I can't forget about the 2.0L Turbo that has V-6 power with 4-cylinder fuel economy with 274-horsepower and 269 lbs. ft. of torque with a modest to none torque steer.

Reason why it needs 100,000 mile warranty
By DEBRA GREEN

2012 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car I bought new it has needed so many things replaced. Eat tires going on my 4th set and dealership says noting wrong with car don't know why it wears tires so quickly. Yeah warranty is great it's the constant inconvenience of having to take in for repairs. Never will buy or recommend Kia ever