Used 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Santa Fe for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2009 Santa Fe

Pasquale, 03/28/2018
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe has been an excellent vehicle. My maintenance cost (except for oil changes and air filters and cabin filters which I do myself) has been a total of $900 over 9 years of ownership and that included $600 for tires and $300 for an additional transmission cooler installation and a tow hitch system. It handles fine, brakes well, steering is precise, a/c system has been faultless, still has original brakes at 80000 miles with an educated guess of another 20000 to go before a brake job is necessary. Gas mileage has been average with about 21-22 mpg around town and 25 mpg on interstate type trips. Over all, it is a safe, reliable, dependable, and economical CUV with excellent interior space for 5 people or lots of baggage and gear. Bottom line...Would I buy this vehicle again? In a heartbeat!!

Not Happy with the 2009 Santa Fe.

Keeley, 09/19/2015
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have been the owner of my 2009 Santa Fe all wheel drive 6 cylinder for approx. 3yrs and I bought it with 38,000 miles. I drive at least 85 miles per day. First: the 09 Santa Fe drives terrible on the highway. It vibrates terribly and upon bring to dealer they said it was possibly tires or rotation was needed. (I put brand new tires on the vehicle at 45K and at 53k & rotate every year) this never fixed the vibration or the poor handling. Dealership told me I guess that's how it drives and there is nothing they can do. Second: my 09 Santa Fe has a horrible sound system that you can't put up over 14 decibels without blowing a speaker. The volume goes well up to 50. All of the speakers have either blown or went out which I have replaced three times with factory speakers and again they are blown. I have a three year old in the car constant so it's not like I'm blaring rap music with the bass at 10+. Horribly annoying and expensive to fix and not covered. Third & most disturbing: my 09 Santa Fe'a gas gauge malfunctioned at 61,000 miles. After filling my gas tank to a range full line I noticed I drove the car to just above a half tank. After turning car back on the gas gauge needle was buried at empty and gas light on. Very nervous immieditely went to get gas. Only took 18$ to fill. Strange which means it's not empty. Thought was a fluke. Drove to work used 1/4 of tank. Turns car back on after work. Read empty again. After filling the car yet again now using only 8$ I knew there was a issue. I brought to dealer they told me it is electrical. Fully serviced the vehicle through Hyundai. At the tune of $184.00. Two days later. Started again. After reading on forums this is a severe issue and souls have a recall. It's the tank sensor. Brought back to dealer. They told me to remove old sensors and put new ones it will cost roughly between 500-1000 dollars. It is not covered under warranty and there is no recall. So much for 100K bumper to bumper warranty. This is a severe issue that can cause death or harm. If you don't make sure to reset your miles and keep an eye on your mileage you can run out of gas. The car may even just shut down at high speeds. I would not advise anyone to buy this suv I'm a former Jeep owner and as soon as I get the money to fix the gauge issue I will be selling ASAP and buying either a new jeep or Subaru. The gas mileage is terrible the car vibrates and you don't know if you have gas. Sounds like a death trap to me. Hyundai is putting people at risk with the above issue and should recall the vehicle to fix for free. DO NOT BUY!! Any Sante fa prior to 2011. They all have the same issue

NOT RECOMMENDED

disappointed53, 12/18/2011
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had 2 santa fe's, a 2007 and a 2009, both 2.7 v6 engines. the 2007 had numerous engine problems including breaking down on me 300 miles from home on a vacation trip; traded it in for an '09 and a year and a half later it developed a tapping sound in the engine and trying to get it serviced is like pulling teeth. this "rep" has to approve all engine replacement jobs but he apparently can check in whenever he feels like it. after numerous tries to get it fixed, including calling corporate office, my frustration made me trade it in for another brand..it is not worth the aggrevation.I will never buy a hyundai again...buyer beware!!!!!!

Incredibly Expensive to Maintain

tmp0529, 07/13/2010
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a car that you should avoid. Every 30,000 miles you are required to get the scheduled maintenance to keep your 100K warranty. That maintenance takes two days and $1500. Top that off with problems with the radio, compass and electric windows and a transmission that wants to surge from a stop and you have a car that is a waste of money. I almost forgot the horrible gas mileage. My 97' GMC Yukon with a V8 got better gas mileage than this lighter SUV with a V6.

Ran out of gas !!

Joseph Xavier Martin, 09/21/2015
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Huyndai Santa Fe 2009 model has a faulty fuel indicator.Internet stories say 2007-2013 models share the problem also. How can you drive a car when you don't know if and when you will run out of gas? The USA Hundai and World Hyundai refuse to acknowledge the problem exists even though the internet is full of cases where the fuel gauge doesn't work. The fix is a $500 cost to the owner. Not fair. If a manufacturer won't guarantee that their product is reliable, customers would look elsewhere. We sure will when we buy our next car. Hyundai lists a corporate philosophy on their website. I didn't see anything there about throwing customers under the bus! Bad form !!

Wonderful Vehicle but Fuel Mileage?

JB63, 02/12/2010
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Santa Fe for it's price, appearance an build and of today am very happy with all elements except for the fuel mileage. Small gas tank and far less than advertised mileage keeps you in the gas station way too much. Mileage in town has been 15.5- 16, and to date, the best I have been able to get highway driving has been 20.5 mpg! That is on remote two lanes at 60 MPH.

BMW TO Hyundai

George, 07/08/2009
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I traded a BMW in 325I on this Hyundai / dollar for dollar/ i made the right choice being that i needed moor room / just changed to SYN oil this boosted the MPG to 26 HY/ put a drop in K&N ait filter, Drop in replacement of factory/ over all performance gained approx 15 HP/ with 26 + mpg with the kick down snap you want / and extra tow power /Rely like this Cross over / interior is well designed !

Reliable and almost maintenance free

Gerry Carrier, 08/03/2016
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Good ride, dependable, low maintenance. Original exhaust system even with 135,000 miles. Wheel bearings - replaced 3 under warrantee. Interiors are not flashy but do stand up to daily use. Mileage is about 20 mpg average. pulls a boat trailer real easy. AWD works well in snow.

Hyundai Rocks!

Big Willie, 12/04/2010
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased for my wife,and she loves it.The ride is good, dependable, roomy and the interior and exterior design is good.I highly recommend this vehicle to my family and friends.We first looked at the Toyota Highlander.The price we would have paid for it compared to what we paid for the Sante Fe is probably 5k more.

Excellent SUV

dutch, 04/21/2010
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The impression from the inside is that of a larger vehicle, but the '09 Santa Fe handles extremely well, even in poor driving conditions. Plowed through 18+ inches of snow w/out a problem. Outside appearance resembles higher end SUVs, so it doesn't feel cheap. You end up getting a quality vehicle that looks expensive and drives equally as well for less $$$ than the competition. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

Decent Crossover but lots of issues so far

davnator, 06/29/2011
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the 2009 GLS for 2 years now so I have a good history of issues and values for the car. The good is that it offers a lot for the price of the vehicle. Three of the four main issues with it have been covered under warranty. The ride for the GLS model is exceptionally smooth and handles city bumps without issue. I live in the north and it handles snow and drifts without issue (but is not good on ice). Issue one, the ignition system failed and the ignition in the steering column had to be replaced. Issue two, a sensor that acccelerates the car when you step on the gas failed. Issue three, the link stabilizer failed. Issue four, rust on the back hatch - Hyundai wont fix it

Great Crossover!

Jeff F., 09/04/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned 2 Santa Fes. The first was an 03 gls which was bought used with 165,000 miles on it. We have owned it for 3 yrs with the only expense being an altenator(500.00)and brakes. It has been very dependable,so much so,our son is now driving it as his first vehicle. The 2nd,an used 09 limited. So far we are in love with this vehicle. Not only larger,it is more nimble,much more room,and the safety features are 2nd to none. We had it 1yr and wouldnt trade it for anything. It does all its asked to do,from camping trips to the grocery trips. It's very comfortable and fun to drive. An excellent vehicle.

Paint Peels

stewpop, 08/04/2014
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2009 Santa Fe based on consumer Reports ratings and the fact that we got over 200,000 miles on the last Hyundai Sonata. We have over 90,000 miles on this one and it has been a good value except for 2 major points. One, the accelerator stuck in the idle position, which is the default instead of unintended acceleration. The other is the paint peeled off the hood and the roof right above the windshield. Even though it was only 2.5 years old, since it had 50,000 miles on it warranty did not cover it. $1600 paint job. The money we saved by buying Hyundai we really did not save. You get what you pay for...

Great Value for an SUV

jerseyan, 01/07/2012
GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 2009 GLS 2.7L AWD. I went from a 4wd Silverado to the SUV with no regrets. My major construction days are done, and driving around paying a fortune for fuel with an empty truck bed 94% of the time seemed like a good reason to let it go. I wanted a new vehicle, without breaking the bank. I opted for the GLS vs. the upscale version not because of affordability, but it had all I needed, why pay more for the more expensive model? It came with the hands free Bluetooth and I added a trailer hitch for those occasional trips to the home centers. The roof racks and crossbars came with the vehicle, but if I had to purchase them, how often do you travel with items on the roof? The 3.3L engine to me wasn’t worth the added cost. The 2.7L has more than enough power, and with the AWD and autoshift, it is excellent in the snow. I have averaged on the highway anywhere from 18 to almost 24mpg. For a vehicle this size I feel it is pretty good. The newer models claim to get 28. Some reviews have said the cabin noise is loud with the windows down. I think most cars at 70mph with the windows down have a lot of cabin noise. Adding air deflectors / vent visors around the windows helps keep the air noise to a minimum when the windows are open. Financing all those add on items over time adds up. When you buy a vehicle you are paying a ton in interest for the mud flaps, fog lights, cargo cover, etc. being somewhat handy, I buy the aftermarket items as I can afford them, or get them on e-bay at a reduced price. As far as resale, after five years it’s a moot point after that, and if you plan on keeping a vehicle 7 to 10 years, who really cares about resale? At 26,000 miles, I have had no major problems, and have not been back to the dealer for any repairs. Changing the oil, filters, rotating tires at regular intervals for any vehicle, along with regular maintenance is key to longevity of any vehicle. If you’re looking for more power, heavy towing, or going from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds, this isn’t the vehicle for you. The Santa Fe is a great all around vehicle, quiet, comfortable, elegant and has plenty of storage, with the seats down it is more than adequate. It handles bad weather like a walk in the park. Hyundai is underrated, and is a very versatile all-around vehicle. This SUV is very capable of handling rough, gravel, dirt, muddy and off the beaten path roads. It will hold your camping gear, ski’s, golf clubs, kids, soccer gear, and is able to tow your ski doodles, motorcycles or trailerable items such as moving furniture for your kids. If you are looking to cross over 12” streams, boulders, tow a 40 foot Chris Craft, and drive across the Appalachian Trail, go purchase a Jeep or adequately equipped pickup. Or if you want to be gone in 60 seconds the minute the light changes green why are you looking at a Santa Fe?

Well worth the money

R Scott, 07/27/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2009 and have only had to do routine maintenance from day 1. Tires, batteries, alignments, wipers, etc. One engine oil leak onto alternator repaired under warranty at no cost. Highly recommend the 3.3 V-6 engine...Has provided outstanding service. Would buy again..

Brakes and caliber maintance

gf, 09/19/2010
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I can't believe I have to have the Calibers /brakes cleaned and lubricated every 12,000 miles or the brakes "burn up and Lock up" this is what the dealers said and it did happen to a friend of mine! Why aren't customers told this before we buy? reliability? poor

New Car conks out

Smiths, 10/30/2010
SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

2009 Sante Fe conked out at the exit ramp. It was a bit dangerous since the ramp had a blind curve. I stopped at the light at the end of the ramp, when it turned green and depressed gas pedal, the car just died. During this time I tried starting it off and on, no luck. After 45 min tow truck came, then I tried to start again and started right up. I've traded it in, I couldn't trust it anymore. I do travel a lot, and alone sometimes, so I don't want to be on the side of the road broke down. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it. If it weren't for that one breakdown incident, I loved the vehicle. Too paranoid it would break down again. limited back view

NOT SO GREAT AFTER ALL !!!

MAZZ, 08/23/2017
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Don't be fooled by the 10 warranty!!!! It b-- s---...... Dealers say " I can't duplicate the problem... Are you kidding me, I am in the car with the tech and he can't feel the vibration, noise, and twisting of the steering...I was floored. The ride is rough...And steering is light....I have 68k miles, and I am disappointed.... I need new tires after 40k miles (have firestones) now (not cheap tires). I have had nothing but issues - front suspension...

2.7 + 5 spd manual, a mistake

whoops, 09/10/2009
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the 2.7 with 5 speed manual. This power train combination is very disappointing and should be avoided. Recommended shift points are at 15 mph. 25 mph. 35 mph. and 45mph (each of these coincide with very close to 3,000 rpm). Slower-than- expected acceleration from a stop is unnerving, with over-anxious drivers behind you. After 1200 mile break-in (not traveling above 55 mph)the drivetrain mismatch becomes evident, as you can only reach and maintain 65 mph by sustaining 3,000 rpm or higher in 5th gear! Slight hills challenge you to maintain speed, even with no load. I believe this car fails to meet the minimum performance requirements for safe driving on U.S. interstate highways.

I Trusted the reviews

rRobert W. Grant, 02/05/2010
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My 2009 Santa Fe had a major engine failure after 10 days (400K). The repair took 5 days. My request for a replacement vehicle was declined even though I was led to believe that this would be the case. In the meantime, one tail-light has water in it, the driver door vibrates and clicks, the fuel consumption is now 17 litres per 100K and the seats are terrible.

Excellent

c.manea, 03/27/2010
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was impressed with the Santa Fe the first time I saw it, bought the Limited version, based on the good reviews on the internet. Now I work for a car rental company and I drive all kind of vehicles. I realize the Santa Fe is hard to compare to any of these. The Japanese competition is at least 1 step behind. You won't regret buying this car rather than a more established brand that costs much more. Read and compare the reviews and you'll see that not even a 100.000 dollars Porsche is not perfect. And they had no recalls for the Santa Fe and if you watch the crash test videos, you'll really want one. If you buy one in Edmonton Alberta get it at the West End Hyundai.

Check out for better fuel economy

zonthemon, 08/23/2010
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have the base model with a manual trans. I think you get excellent value for the money. I get many comments on the styling and looks. As for the fuel economy I have found a pretty decent (15%+)increase when I have the Electronic Stability control (ESC) turned OFF.

Still going strong

CDF, 01/21/2018
SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It has been an unbelievably reliable vehicle, is comfortable, and still looks good. It's had minimal issues beyond routine wear and tear and maintenance. It has fewer electronic bells and whistles (nav, entertainment, etc) than newer vehicles, but the stereo and Bluetooth and cruise control are really nice.

first time owner

jrice, 12/28/2009
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

i never thought i would own a foreign vehicle, but after test driving the santa fe, and the ford edge. i had to buy the santa fe. i owned an explorer, and hated the gas mileage, and the sluggish handling. the santa fe is a very pleasurable experience to drive.

Getting ready to buy another one.

Larry Rubrich, 11/22/2015
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best new car I ever owned! Sold it and bought a 2017 Santa Fe. Love the features of the 2017!

under rated

Jay J, 08/08/2009
GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Fit and finish excellent engine smooth interior excellent, AC and heater top notch, windshield wiper system better than my Honda SUV, Radio better than average. Stock Tires poor at best . changed tires , switched to synthetic Oil and a performance air filter--increased gas mileage by 2.5 per gallon

Lots of bang for the buck

ddh, 10/07/2009
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car 3 weeks ago and have put 1700 miles on it. I've been getting 26-27 mpg combined city/hwy mileage. The base V-6 is quiet & delivers spirited acceleration in town and when passing on the highway. The 6-speaker stereo sounds good; I really like the XM satellite radio, and the USB as I can put all my music on a tiny jump drive and don't have to clutter the car with CD's. Interior is comfortable, well- appointed, and build quality is as good as Honda, Toyota, etc. Handling & ride quality are excellent, & the stock tires seem to work well in all conditions.

So far so good with very few problems

sweep, 10/30/2009
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the base model for two weeks with 500 miles now. The gas mileage is about 19 in local and 21 on highway. Really like the design, interior and exterior. The engine is very quite, just not as powerful as what I think about a V6 engine. Overall experience is great. There are two places that make me give a 9 instead of 10. 1. When I try to get out of the front driver seat, my right knee often gets scratched with the sound output, which hurts. 2. The trunk door is hard to pull back down.

Great car - initial review//more later

necostanzo, 11/08/2009
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle today after driving a Azera and Sonata. This vehicle was actually quieter on the highway than the Sonata and was almost as luxurious as the Azera. I am very happy with this vehicle. This is my initial review and I will update it as I drive the vehicle more....Only annoying issue so far is the blue lights on the dash, even when turned to full dim, they are still too bright. I don't care for the brightness of the lights.

very happy

caper, 11/16/2009
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Originally we wanted an X3, but found dollars for value way out of whack. We then test drove a Rav4, Escape, Murano, Compass, Equinox and finally on a why not premise the Hyundai. It was miles ahead in quality look/feel, and features. I seriously don't see how pro reviewers can favor a Toyota which felt like a tin can, and bounced all over the place to this. Warranty/Finance rates and simply pleasure of driving sets this apart. If you haven't drove one try it out you'll be pleasantly surprised. We were so much we bought is 7 days later. Keep up the good work Hyundai...you may have made a customer for life.

Hyundai Love has been passed on to me!

Taryn R, 12/04/2009
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I got this SUV for my 18Th birthday, I drove my moms old 2003 Santa Fe when I was first starting out, than I got a Infiniti QX56, but I needed a regular SUV! When I got this SUV I love it 90% more than the infiniti, the navigation is amazing the comfort fo the seats could be better and so could the mileage. But hardly drive the QX56 anymore! Hyundai is making a huge come back!

Bang for Your Buck

cj8drummer, 01/25/2010
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with vehicle overall. I think Hyundai is offering a lot of upscale features for a reasonable price. I have three kids that are hard on a car. The leather is definitely a winner and the interior feels nice. I opted to pass on the third row which at times I'm sure I'll miss but I really didn't want to give up the storage space that you lose when adding the third row.

The Begining

D, 01/28/2010
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased this (New) 2009 Hyundai, Santa Fe and thought I would rate it now, six months and then at the one year mark. I hope you will find it useful in selecting your next vehicle. I am not in any way associated with Hyundai, and no one in my family works for or has any association with Hyundai Inc. I know the site says don’t write about the purchasing, but that was one of the reasons why I selected this vehicle over its competitions. It's value and warrantee were huge draws. I actually selected my new SUV from the inventory online and set the price before I even went to the dealership. Even Taxes, Tags, Titling, Destination costs, everything! I said “I’ll pay this” they said "OK".

Value for Money

Sandeep, 02/23/2010
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

It is certainly value for money. Very spacious in its segment. The exterior design is eye catching while the quality of ride is of high quality

many plusses one negative

pghbob, 02/23/2010
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

this is my fourth hyundai--sonata, azera, tucson and now the santa fe. Lots of bang for the buck. Safe feeling with loads of comfort. Leather seats--heated--wife loves them.

New Santa Fe Owner

jpsphr, 03/31/2010
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just let go of an Acura MDX at the end of a four year lease. Loved the MDX. So far, I have to say that the Santa Fe is a much cheaper but almost as satisfying vehicle. It's more the size of an RDX, but the features are similar to the MDX, the Santa Fe is QUIETER and the fuel economy is better. The Acura is quicker, handles a bit better and has a legitimate third row. When I showed the Hyundai off to some friends, they couldn't believe the quality of the fit and finish. Now, let's see if it is as satisfying after 4 years.

Good Transportation

Spike, 06/23/2010
GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a nice ride. It is fairly quiet, and feels sounds solid. It has a good quality feel to it. The cloth seats are comfortable, supportive and heated. Sun roof opens with one touch. Nice storage in the back. Rear passengers are comfortable. The get up and go is a little slow with the 2.7 L, but I didn't get it as a sports car. Living in Alaska I needed something that could give me good traction and keep me moving in a lot of snow and ice. The stock tires seem good and I don't need dedicated winter tires. The mpg is about what I would expect with a awd small v-6. I get about 20 in town in the summer and 17 in the winter with little highway driving. It fills my need wonderfully!

Another Santa Fe

Mike, 08/28/2010
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After test drive i realized how better it was than my 06 other than engine it was completely redesigned. I loved the 06 never any problems in almost 4 years so i traded it for the 09 leftover and have not been disappointed. Fun to drive and it looks like the more expensive SUVs in its class.

Good reliable vehicle

Glenn, 10/31/2016
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

2wd SUV good visibility. Comfortable and roomy easy to drive. Only negative is cruise control is poor not accurate doesn't hold speed well.

Santa Fe wonderful vehicle!

Kfitz, 08/29/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Comfortable, extremely reliable, ergonomically perfect(all infotainment controls easy to use, laid out logically), nice handling, smooth shifting, great engine, needed first brake pad replacement at 72,000, miles, compartment under rear floor provides lots of extra storage, etc. Can’t say enough good words about this crossover. Incredibly reliable.

Great Value and Good Car!

Dave S, 11/09/2019
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Had the Sante Fe for 10 years and 116,000 miles. The only issues I had was the CD changer (remember CDs) ate them up, but otherwise the car was rock-solid and we enjoyed it both as around town and on longer trips.

Over a decade and still going strong

Howard, 08/12/2020
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2009 GLS with Blue connect and roof rack cross members brand new. Now has 120000 miles on it.Still has original exhaust in Ohio. I had to replace the pumps and sensor for gas(located in tank) , throttle positioning sensor and a transmission sensor after 60000 mile warranty expired. Have replaced shocks and struts just recently. That is it after 11 years. It still runs great. traded it in for a convertible.Hated to let it go....

DO NOT RECOMMEND

Am, 08/27/2017
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 2 years (first car I've ever owned). About a month after I bought the car a vibration/shaking problem occured at about 15-20 mph. We have been to 7 different automotive places (including where we bought it from!!!) and NO ONE has been able to figure out the problem so I've been stuck with the problem for about 2 years. Recently, (and I've read other reviews about this) the fuel gauge is failing to tell me how much gas I actually have. Whenever I just had filled up at the gas station, the gauge stayed where I was before I had filled up. A new vibration/shaking has occured on the drivers side and only does it at certain points (weird, I know). However, I took it to walmart they said the left tire, it had been out of balance and it was fixed that day. The next day the same problem occured and I immediately took it somewhere I had gone before and of course when driving it they couldn't feel anything and the car didn't make any noise or feeling like it had been. They visually inspected it and found nothing wrong (I know that must sound crazy but I promise it REALLY happened). Selling this car ASAP. After reading these reviews, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Never buy this car

Myhundai sucks , 08/18/2019
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Similar to everyone else’s review , bought the car pre owned 2009 model with 30,000 miles . 2 weeks into owning car radio stopped working when I would turn on the car, usually reactive to hot or cold temperature changes. Then Gas gauge stopped working 2 years after owning the car . Haven’t fixed due to the fact it would cost me close to 1000$ to fix. Shortly after only one of my windows will roll up or down without getting stuck . Also 3 years in to owning the starter would make a loud sound found out I needed to replace that would cost me 350 and would continue to do further damage to the car if not fixed. Not to mention 1 year into owning check engine light would continue to have a false read at all times . My Sante fed is paid off in 2 months and has 1000 in repairs to fix the gas gauge have to get all new tires . Fix the windows as well as the last 4 months I have been unable to drive because it’s summer time and now my air conditioner has stopped working as well as heater . Will not blow air at all . Will never be purchasing anything related to this brand ever again . I’m young and don’t have the funds to be fixing all of these things that have gone wrong and have worked so hard for 6 years to pay this off only to have to give it up due to the amount of issues I still have to deal with . Buyer beware . I have been told Hyundai is related to Kia ... I would be cautious to purchase anything of that brand either . My mom had to give up her 2013 Kia sedan as well due to the alarming amount of issues with it as well .

09 Santa FE

marksj, 05/17/2009
SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Great feel on the road. Drivers seat is very comfortable. Has several adjustments to make it feel that way. Very quiet inside the car. You cannot even hear the engine run. Seat cloth seems durable and feels good.

New 2009 Santa Fe

Mikie, 07/16/2009
GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased my Santa Fe July 15,2009. I purchased the GLS w/Auto trans and only 3 options. Floor mats,mud guards and cargo net. You get a lot of standard features with the base GLS. Msrp $24,300, Cash for Clunkers $4500, $2000 rebate, Purchase price $17,399 out the door.

2009 Santa Fe Limited

D. Ray, 12/13/2009
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Alot of car for the money. I have only owned this vehicle for one week, but I believe that Hyundi is equal to Toyota and Honda in quality. Hyundai beat out Toyota, Honda, and Ford in price. I had a Honda Salesman tell me that they could not compete with Hyundai prices. I got a 2009 Santa Fe Limited, with $800 dollars worth of accessories for 25,800.

Best Car Purchase I have ever made

k, 06/21/2010
Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I read all the reviews for all the vehicles in this class and visited Ford, Nissan, Honda, Chevy, Buick, etc. This car is beautifully luxurious inside and a very comfortable ride. My husband hates suvs and admitted he really likes this car. A friend who owns a 2002 version summed up her experience with "I love this car as much as the first day I bought it" - that's 7 yrs of ownership. If you want luxury, reliability, fun drive, room for the dog and your kids' friends, have comfortable ride for 5 adults-all staying in the mid 20,000 range -check out this car. I got my 2009 limited with nav and 12 miles for 26k. I don't think anyone can beat Hyundai these days-I was just as surprised as you are!

If it only had a more comfortable ride...

steelydan, 02/04/2013
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This review applies only to the SE and Limted trims with the 18" wheels........NOT THE GLS trim with 16" wheels......BIG DIFFERENCE. My wife drives the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, good thing, because I would have traded in this rough riding bronco by now...... The engine is sweet, brakes good, interior is well thought out, exterior is good. The biggest and , unfortunately, most notable con is the HARSH ride over the many bumps and potholes on our crappy streets here in West Houston. The 18" wheels are a performance choice for the Santa Fe, as they are the wheels for the SE and Limited trims, not the base GLS trim. It is unfortunate that the BASE model Santa Fe is a more comfortable ride !!!

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe

Anonymous, 08/31/2018
SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I owned this SUV and found it spacious and low cost to own. There were a few recalls that were covered by Hyundai.

51050