Used 2007 Honda Element Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Honda Element Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Element model:

QUIRKY AND PRACTICAL
By kris corah

2007 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

4 years with our element. Honestly there isn't much to complain about it, but I just never grew to love it. The transmission annoys me, it's constantly hunting thru the gear, yes, I know it's getting me the best mileage it can. The shifts aren't hard or harsh. In fact they aren't unpleasant at all, I just find it annoying listening to the engine cycle up and down as the trans constantly shifts at every rise or dip in the road. The highway at 70 is truly busy for the transmission. Road noise is a bit on the loud side as well. Crosswinds are fairly disruptive, pushing the car around on the road. The rear doors are a love/hate item for me as well. There is a different routine to using them in parking lots and requires some forethought. Getting in/out with kids can be an exercise in frustration. I've been trapped between the doors many times, doing some sort of dance/juggling to get into position to be able to get out from between the doors so they can be closed. The doors open about 90 degrees which makes getting in/out and loading easier but brings the doors in range of neighboring cars in parking lots. When a 5 yr old leans on the door to get out it is simple for the door to swing open enough to bump the car beside you. Aside from the low tire pressure monitor coming on and staying on about a year after we got the car it has been almost faultless. Fuel mileage is not very good. we get about 22-23 most of the time, a mile or 2 less in the winter and it will get 24+ on the highway at speed. the best mileage I've seen was 26. On the plus side, it's roomy, for its size. The seats fold flat or swing up clearing most of the floor. They can be removed but I'd rather take a punch from mike Tyson. Our 5 year old loves to "decorate" the car by drawing on the matte black plastic panels with sidewalk chalk. It's a nice conversation piece. The people at my wife's work love it. It is an excellent choice for someone with small kids and/or dogs. We fold the back flat on one seat (rear) and our great Dane lays there next to the kid in his car seat.
3-6-18. still have this thing. we will probably be trading it in the next few months when we decide on a replacement. It has held up pretty well. The seats have stains and the passenger side dash has a weird discoloration on the accent panel. The tach needle fell off about 6 months ago. there is a rust spot on the driverside rear door. all in al we got our moneys worth out of it. going on 160,000 miles.

Go Anywhere with your Element
By Carol Shafford

2007 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Element since 2007 when I purchased it NEW. It has been a great little SUV. Have almost 88,000 miles on it. It will plow through snow with the best of other suvs. I have done a lot of winter driving here in Interior Alaska, the heaters have kept me warm. The stopping ability on icy roads is wonderful. If they still made them I would buy a NEW one, but they don't make them anymore. I have the all wheel drive version. Am still very happy with my Element. Am thinking about replacing it with a new rig this year, as I would like to have some of the new safety features on a vehicle I drive daily. I think Honda made a real mistake not continuing this utilitarian vehicle. It has been a great little car. The newer Honda's do not have the ground clearance I would like to have, we have had 80 inches of snow since December and getting around in a car with less clearance would create problems.

Such a cool car!
By Gale

2007 Honda Element EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Lowest maintenance of any vehicle I've ever owned, but it's time to move on. I don't need the large cargo space anymore to transport my wares. Fun to drive, easy to take care of, I love the element.

From soup to nuts, it does it all.
By Judy Eastham

2007 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The only thing I'd change is the drink holders. They are hard to get to with the arm down. I love the cargo room with the seats folded up to the sides. I have brought a 50 gallon water heater home with my car and a new dishwasher. I wish they hadn't discontinued the Element I would buy a new one. My husband simply doesn't fit in other cars and I got this to ease his getting in and out. It provides him with the necessary head room. Hey Honda bring it back just like it is. SINCE I DID THE FIRST REVIEW I HAD TO GET RID OF IT. THE TRANS AXELS AND OTHER MAJOR EXPENSES HIT THIS CAR. I'D LOVE TO HAVE ANOTHER BUT I'M BURIED IN A CHEVROLET SILVERADO NOW.

good value
By boeserkritiker

2007 Honda Element LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new in 2007. got 97K miles now. It has served us reliably well as you hope from a honda with 2 exceptions. right after the warranty expired we had to shell out 500 bucks to replace a rear strut that was gone. and the original battery left us stranded multiple times when it was only 3y old. . i read on blogs that many people had that problem. since it got replaced, out of my pocket, that issue is gone. the door design is weird if you have people actually using the rear seats. especially in tight parking spots. you get trapped in the space between 2 doors. it gets worse if you have to get little children out of their child seats in the rear.

I was never happy about the mpg. on one hand its ok for a vehicle that size i guess but when we don't need the large space for luggage etc. we drive as much as possible with or more full efficient second car. lately mpg in mixed driving got barely over 20. used to get 23 with 25 highway. engine runs a little rough in cold weather until it has warmed up. you need to figure out how to store stuff in the car otherwise it slides around on the slick floor all the time.

I would still recommend the car hands down. it is overall very reliable, versatile and easy maintain and keep clean. i barely spend more than $200 a year on average on repairs and maintenance per year. I ran 2 sets of tires for almost 50K miles each and do basic maintenance myself. I transport large stuff all the time and the fold-up/ removable seats really come in handy for that. we even happily slept in the rear of the car on the floor on an air mattress with the seats up when it was raining cats and dogs on a camping trip and the tent literally collapsed under hard downpour. last but not least the car is a rally good value for the size and reliability.