Used 2016 GMC Yukon Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Yukon for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

The SUV to have if you need the space.

Loren McCoy, 01/26/2016
Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

I have owned many Tahoes and Yukons The 2016 Denali is awesome. It looks great and the Corvette engine with the 8-speed is a great combo. GM cars are now so technologically advanced. This is the vehicle to have if you travel a lot with people/kids. WiFi is awesome and OnStar is a must for me. It is expensive, but blows away the competition. I've owned several Land Cruisers, and I you couldn't run fast enough to give me one of those over the GMC!

THe People mover

geoff Masterson, 10/23/2017
Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

I had only a few minor repairs car runs smooth and for a car its size it surprisingly fast with great acceleration. Did not drink excessive gas due to cylinder deactivation system. The car sucks up whatever you want to put init.

Very nice drive with some issues.

Seth, 10/13/2015
SLT 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I love the feeling I get driving this, great looking SUV. I have owned it 6 months and I would buy it again. My issues are minor quality concerns mostly. The underside of the hood on the front edge had a paint drop from the factory that could be felt when I opened the hood. All the body panels (fenders and doors mostly) needed to be adjusted so the body lines matched and the gaps looked equal. Rear bumper Fascia needed to be replaced because the gap to the tailgate wasn't even. The interior quality seems to match my Toyota but it's more comfortable to drive the Yukon. Apple CarPlay is a great feature and find myself using Siri for navigation more then factory installed one. Seats are very comfortable and controls are easy to adjust on the dash. One entertainment feature I wish the car had was a HDMI port for the TV.

Expensive SUV but worth it

Mo, 12/31/2016
Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

We returned to GMC Yukon after having an Expedition as our last vehicle. The Yukon is better in all material aspects. Seats more comfortable, engine power better, noise control excellent, and we don't seem to have any of the small malfunctions experienced with our Ford: sensor lights, wrong tire pressure readings, small leaks, slow power windows, and best of all, no glare from the inside chrome! We are old school....we want an SUV that's more like a truck and less like a car, so we don't like the smaller models, and do not feel as safe in them. This is an exceptional vehicle and fits our needs and has great quality in its manufacturing. The only thing I don't care for is second row bucket seats, would have preferred the bench version. . UPDATE 2018. This vehicle saved my husband's life. He was stopped on the interstate in traffic and was hit at high speed from behind by another full sized SUV. Although heavily damaged, not totalled and has been restored and repaired.

Recommendations

LaRuth Jordan, 03/01/2017
SLT 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I love my 2016 Yukon GMC XL so much and I have only driven the Yukon XL for the last 15 years and I drove the Suburban 7 years before that. I get a new GMC Yukon XL every year or two max. I wouldn't change anything on my Yukon except the USB Port; they need to stay hot when the car is turned off to allow your cellphone or other smart items to charge while out of the car. I would like to see them add the cup size adjuster to the Yukon and also allow the car to show the speed limit on the screen so that you know how fast or slow you should be driving when you enter a street, road or the highway. Maybe even be able to set restrictions that vibrates or dings when you go over the restricted amount. For example: I would want to know when I'm driving 5 miles or more over that speed limit.

Unacceptable Ride!

John, 04/17/2017
Denali 4dr SUV (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

Vehicle is great except the ride is really rough and uncomfortable. Transmission shifts rough as well. I have 35,000 miles on the vehicle and the ride continues to deteriorate to the point I am going to have to trade it soon.

Worst expensive vehicle I’ve owned

Bryan Hix, 05/28/2018
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first GMC product. I have owned a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I put 240k on with relatively no issues. I had a 2001 Expedition with zero issues, and traded it for a 2005 Expedition with no issues except the rear A/C at 140k that cost me $800. Otherwise perfect. This 2016 Yukon SLT has been to the dealership now 6 times in 2 years for brake issues twice, screen on center dash went out, A/C broke and the tail lights got so much moisture in them it wouldn’t clear without exchanging them, but yet the dealership said it was totally normal. What? A few other things: The accelerator really bugs me. It is difficult to push down which gives the impression the car is bogging down. The auto back seat fold option doesn’t fold the seats all the way flat. And the worst, it’s a huge pain to try and get a loner car at GMC. My Acura MDX was super easy to service, always had a loaner available at no charge and cleaned my car every time. By the way, that car was $20k less than a Yukon! I despise this car and GMC sucks as a dealership, but my wife wants to keep it. If it were up to me, this thing would be gone tomorrow. Problem is, not much choice for full sized SUVs. I see myself buying another Ford in the next couple of years.

Still Meh

Jeff, 05/11/2017
Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

As stated in an earlier review, the vehicle styling is fantastic as is the acceleration. Other than that, probably should have chosen another vehicle. Have had multiple water leaks, first from shark fin on top, then was told a seal on the sunroof was faulty. Water came onto headliner, down thru the A-pillar, thru the back of the dash then onto the floor. Also experienced electronic problems with the touchscreen freezing up, which disabled any user interface for navigation, rear camera, etc. Dealer stated it was unrelated to the water leaks and just needed re-programmed, but I'm not buying it. Will probably look to trade for a Ford Expedition or Infiniti.

AWD went out twice in 6 months

Frustrated GMC buyer, 12/16/2016
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Nice vehicle, but twice the vehicle got stuck in AWD due to technology glitches. On my most current event, it was a 45 minute software reprogram fix. After 3 hours the dealer finally offered a rental car to get me on the way because they cannot seem to get it working. My gut is telling me that the technicians are simply not trained in dealing with the complexities. I say this because the same issue resulted in almost the same result. i.e. after a period of time, they finally gave me a rental car and I got my car back 4 days later. Very frustrating and I would warn potential purchases about the AWD issue.

Still can’t get it right

Mr unhappy , 02/23/2020
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I give up. I have owned 6 big GM SUV’s. This was the worst. For starters this vehicle came with Apple care play and a wireless phone charger which was not compatible with Apple products. The rain sensing wipers never worked properly because of poor design and poor sensitivity. The outside thermometer would read 70 degrees when it was 100 outside. The vehicle came with defective leather drivers seat and a 3rd row seat that had to be replaced because of continuous rattle. The backup camera was low resolution and useless at night. The car fell apart just after the warranty expired. The compass broke $1000 to repair. The air conditioner condenser failed $2000. The hepatic seat motor broke. There have been numerous recalls and several known problems from previous design flaws. Replacing the battery was an ordeal. Traded in for a new Jeep months ago and still getting service warnings about new problems on my phone app.

2016 Yukon

Jan, 10/16/2020
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I am so disappointed in myYukon. The simplest repairs are complicated and expensive. For example, I spent over 500.00 to replace a tail light. That was ordering the part and my husband replacing it. Now we need a new battery. We are on vacation pulling and RV. Simple fix right. No the battery has to have a bracket that has screws at the top and bottom. Then another brace has to be removed to get the actual battery out. This requires a long extension tool. Estimate so far 250.00 and a few hours of time. Fan in air conditioner is acting up. That a whole different story. Sorry GM done with your products. Trading this beast off when I get home.

Money Pit

Buyers Remorse, 04/07/2021
SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY...bought new Yukon in 2017 that stickered for $68k. Had the Yukon to the dealership for all work, including oil changes & tires replacement. Brake lights go out, wireless console cell phone charger still does not work, now, my AC is out and costing me $1500 for a known defect. ALL KNOWN ISSUES but GM would not cover. Condensing unit has a known issue with leak at 70k miles. I live in the North West and did not use my AC from Oct to March, so how did I know the AC was out before warranty? But GM said it is a known issue.

Blown away

Felicia and Ryan , 04/27/2021
Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

Coming from a 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, the Denali is like moving from the middle of Wisconsin to Abu Dhabi... this thing has it all!! It's a blast to drive and is top notch on comfort. The materials inside the cabin are all soft and pleasing to the eye. The safety features are what really sold us on it. The haptic feedback in the seat warns you of any possible collisions and monitors front, back and sides at all times. I would suggest this vehicle to anyone looking for class and comfort.

51050