Used 2008 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Own. Purchased with 3K miles in 2008 at dealer.
By Stonebank

2008 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Maintaining this vehicle is not cheap, but doing the preventive maintenance is a lot cheaper. Having a four wheel drive vehicle gives you two differentials to maintain instead of one plus the transfer case. I have run nothing but Mobil I oil in it, and perform the recommended mechanical work earlier than recommended using the best material possible. My vehicle looks new, and runs like a well tuned watch even with 157,000 miles. I have my own maintenance schedule that has kept every car I have owned in great shape for many years with hardly a breakdown (which I blame on ethanol). Change hoses every three years with a coolant flush, change the battery every three years with the best you can buy, replace any potential defective wiring as noticed, and change oil every 5-7000 miles running only synthetic regardless of climate. Replace all brakes before damaging rotors, and ensure the rotors are the best duty you can keep on the car, rotate tires with every oil change, and put the best tires on the vehicle possible. A few extra bucks here can save thousands. Update mechanicals as noted by a GOOD mechanic. I use a high quality dealership, and the repair prices are not really any higher, and the mechanics are well trained and supervised. My only real comfort negative is short seats which is common in most cars these days. I have long legs and lack of proper thigh support creates a painful butt and hamstrings on longer rides. My car has performed pretty much flawlessly.

why don't they build this anymore?
By russ weaver

2008 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a mid size suv on a solid full frame. Handles rough terrain and freeway speeds equally well. I'd buy a new one if I could.

IT'S NEW AGAIN EVERYDAY
By Dan Smith

2008 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

206,000 miles later, 8 years of ownership and every time I get behind the wheel I fall in love all
over again. She is an absolute sweetheart - the Envoy Denali is a great road-suv...hugs the road - runs down
the road at 80 mph - 2,000 rpm - 20 miles per gallon - comfort and just plain FUN TO DRIVE.

This is my 7th GMC product and I am just now ordering a new GMC Acadia Denali - 2017 - I just hope the new
one is 1/5 the suv this 2008 sweetheart is.

ENVOY SLT Solid as Stone Mountain
By Bill Poindexter

2008 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2008 GMC Envoy SLT with 10,000 miles on it and one year old. Now we have over 150,000 on it and would not trade it for anything new and free. The best way to describe the old school, body on frame, straight six SUV is SOLID. For work I have the opportunity to rent many vehicles and nothing comes close to the solid feel and stump pulling power of GM's Envoy and Trail blazer twin. My brother in law is a master mechanic and shop owner and rather than purchase a new vehicle (which he could easily afford) he chose a well cared for Trail Blazer. He is highly impressed with the bullet proof power train rugged body on frame design. I can attest it feels like you are driving a SUBSTANTIAL vehicle. The mass of power available at the slightest touch of the gas verifies what I read. The truck engine in these SUVs were over built by GM. The solid axil always stays put and signals when you are adrift in the lane resulting in a reassuring ride and stable tracking regardless of the highway condition. Newer vehicle designs may give you more storage pockets and cup holders but I value solid construction and indestructible power train as more important for getting you from A to B. Comfort is exceptionable and everything is quiet and solid inside the car. Repairs have been limited to a cracked exhaust manifold and wires chewed up by a demented squirrel. I would strongly lean toward buying a well cared for Envoy over a new vehicle just because they simply don't build them like this any more. UPDATE AS OF 1-13-17---- Our Envoy has now 185000 miles on it. Everything still works. Have not had to fix or replace anything, (no lie). Still has the original brakes, muffler, shocks, A/C freon. I change the oil and have had all other fluids changed as advised by GM. A great great car.

2008 Envoy Winter Driver
By phoenixiv

2008 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought the wife a winter driver because the Toyota Corolla Sport can't even make it out of the driveway if it has 2 inches of snow or more. The Envoy is stable, dependable and with automatic or full time 4 wheel drive it plows through snow and ice covered roads well. Most of the time it turns around in the drive with 5-6 inches of fresh snow without 4 wheel drive engaged. The vehicle has a smooth heavy feel on the highway more like a 1/2 ton truck which we both like but it has a softer ride. Great leg room for me for a change which fits my 6' 1" frame better than most of the smaller crossovers or SUVs. The 4.2L inline six has good power and torque at both low and high speeds.

Automatic 4 wheel drive is nice and the stability control work well together. I actually think I can get to the spark plugs without pulling the engine which is really nice for a change.

Turbocharged inline six might be nice for both power and economy or maybe a small diesel.